Manhattan's Upper West Side to have Apple Store this year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Plans are in motion for Apple's fourth Manhattan store to open this year on the Upper West Side, as other retailers struggle through an ongoing recession.

The plans have existed since late 2007, when the site at Broadway and 67th was first revealed to be the location for an upcoming Apple Store. But since then, while building permits have been obtained, the former Victoria's Secret location did not emerge as a retail outlet for Apple products.

But in a new report from the New York Daily News, retail chief Ron Johnson said the under-construction location will open this year. The report does not say that the Broadway and 67th location is definitive, as Johnson did not disclose the new site.

At the Broadway site, Apple has torn down most of the original structure. However, the city required the company to retain at least half of the original exterior wall, said Gary Allen, founder and author of ifoAppleStore. He noted that it is "definitely going to be a large store."

Apple has existing retail outlets in Manhattan on Prince Street in SoHo, on West 14th Street in the Meatpacking District, and at Fifth Avenue and 59th Street. Recently, the Fifth Avenue store was revealed to be the most profitable per square foot in the expensive shopping district. The store is estimated to have annual sales of more than $350 million.

In fact, Apple's New York City stores are among the most successful and popular retail outlets in the company's lineup. Last quarter, the company had an average of 254 stores open, pulling in an average of $5.9 million in revenue from each location. The retail business is an important part of Apple's strategy, as those locations sold 492,000 Macs alone last quarter. The company's first store in France is expected to open for the holidays.

Apple's Broadway location, May 2009. Photo courtesy Gary Allen, ifoAppleStore.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    There are currently 4 Apple stores in New York State; 3 in Manhattan and 1 ins Staten Island. Does it mean that other New Yorkers don't like Apple products? Or they just love to hop on those trains?

No wonder it is always crowded. Is this a publicity stunt? And now a 4th store under construction in Manhattan? I guess there is no more retail space left the state.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

There are currently 4 Apple stores in New York State; 3 in Manhattan and 1 ins Staten Island. Does it mean that other New Yorkers don't like Apple products? Or they just love to hop on those trains?

No wonder it is always crowded. Is this a publicity stunt? And now a 4th store under construction in Manhattan? I guess there is no more retail space left the state.

Hear hear. I'm in Brooklyn, which, if each NYC borough were considered an independent city, would be the 3rd largest in the US. No Apple store here.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    4 Apple Stores! Soon the Statue of Liberty will have a Macbook under it's arm.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:

I got one an hour from me in Albany, NY at the Crossgates Mall...
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

There are currently 4 Apple stores in New York State; 3 in Manhattan and 1 ins Staten Island.

lol what? I guess our Apple Store up here in Albany, NY must be one of those fake knock-off ones... Dammit, I've been had!

On another note... for a city of 8+ million, I would naturally expect Apple to consider operating more than 3 stores in NYC proper... \
  • Reply 6 of 28
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:

There's one in Long Island too, in Roosevelt Field Mall. So that's at least 5 in NY state..
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Nyc♥
  • Reply 8 of 28
    For the public record...

All New York State Apple Stores, as listed on Apple's website:

* Albany, Crossgates <--- my store

* Buffalo, Walden Galleria

* Garden City, Roosevelt Field

* Huntington Station, Walt Whitman

* Lake Grove, Smith Haven

* New York City, Fifth Avenue

* New York City, SoHo

* New York City, West 14th Street

* Staten Island, Staten Island

* Syracuse, Carousel

* Victor, Eastview

* West Nyack, Palisades

* White Plains, The Westchester

So we have number 14 on the way... which puts us at #4 in U.S. in terms of stores per State
  • Reply 9 of 28
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Hear hear. I'm in Brooklyn, which, if each NYC borough were considered an independent city, would be the 3rd largest in the US. No Apple store here.

I thought I read somewhere that Williamsburg was to get one- must have been rumor.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Actually, it's already holding an Apple tablet.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

There's one in Long Island too, in Roosevelt Field Mall. So that's at least 5 in NY state..

There are 3 on Long Island (Roosevelt Field, Lake Grove, and Walt Whitman) and there will soon be a 3rd in a couple of months in Manhasset

There are currently 4 Stores in NYC (5th Ave, SoHo, 14th Street, Staten Island) and soon to be a 5th

(FYI Staten Island is in New York City)

There will be 12 Apple Stores within 40 miles!

(Image: "Manhasset" and "New York-New York City") are not open yet.

• Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Pro- she is all metal.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

I hear Microsoft's will be in the boroughs alongside Sam's Club.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    While in a different neighborhood, the store that Apple is supposedly building at 67th and Broadway is probably only 1/2 a mile from the 5th Avenue store. IMO, it would have made far more sense to build on the upper east side, around 86th street.

As far as the other boroughs are concerned, there isn't really a place that's both hip and has high traffic. In Brooklyn, Apple could go to Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO or Williamsburg, all of which would be demographically correct, but there simply aren't that many people there.

In Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island, there are no hip places (I live in Queens).
  • Reply 15 of 28
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Pro- she is all metal.

Cooper I think, so good heat properties.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Pretty soon, Apple Stores will be almost as prolific in Manhattan as GAP stores.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

While in a different neighborhood, the store that Apple is supposedly building at 67th and Broadway is probably only 1/2 a mile from the 5th Avenue store. IMO, it would have made far more sense to build on the upper east side, around 86th street.

As far as the other boroughs are concerned, there isn't really a place that's both hip and has high traffic. In Brooklyn, Apple could go to Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO or Williamsburg, all of which would be demographically correct, but there simply aren't that many people there.

In Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island, there are no hip places (I live in Queens).

It's not as easy for UWS residents to access 5th Ave. Plus Lincoln Center is right across the street (tourists). However, that neighborhood has always struck me as very PCish and not just for the fact that Jerry Seinfeld lives there. It's nice but not very hip unlike the other NY locations. I think this will be the place to get the most switchers.

BTW- UES has much easier access to Fifth AVe store.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    News for you... they had a huge setback in last 2 weeks... they decided to do electrical installation before building walls and roof to speed up process. They risked it raining and it rained all of june... They did not pass inspection and have to redo everything.

So not sure how likely this store is to actually open this year. Also they are getting glass panes delivered by the truckload everyday.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Oh someone HAS to do a mock-up of this!
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Oh someone HAS to do a mock-up of this!

Putting the finishing touches now.