New Apple Mac ad features familiar face, Blu-ray PC adoption low

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

...They wouldn't be on the BluRay board. People who say Apple isn't interested are blind to that fact. Apple is interested or they wouldn't be there. No maybe that will change. Maybe Apple will leave the board but there is a reason they are there. Steve Jobs himself said Apple will be ready with h.264, when the final decision has been made for BluRay or HD-DVD. That's what he said. Just because he later called BluRay a "mixed bag of hurt" doesn't mean he doesn't want it. The reason Apple is on that board so they can help Sony market it in a way that everyone wins, including Apple.

Agreed. DVDs are like floppy discs when compared to Blu-ray discs in their compacity alone.
  • Reply 22 of 93
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously the writing is on the wall here, tablets will not have optical drives, so distribution needs a new vehicle. The rational vehicle is SD memory cards. Combine that with the need to eliminate optical drives from laptops and it becomes obvious that Blu-Rays future is extremely limited.

The reliability and low power nature of SD flash storage is about to steam roll into the handheld and laptop market. Like it or not CD type drives are very legacy in nature.

Dave
  • Reply 23 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

let me correct your grammar, apparently so much trolling has affected your English

isn't apple supposed to get new tech into its computers before Dell and HP?

And let me correct your grammar:

Isn't Apple supposed to get new tech into its computers before Dell and HP?
  • Reply 24 of 93
    Jobs is right about Blu-Ray. With the up-converter on a DVD the quality is just as good and without the DRM.

As for the ads, if you're tired of them stop watching them.
  • Reply 25 of 93
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Now if we really wanted to see the real picture, someone would redraw that chart with the zero % at the bottom.
  • Reply 26 of 93
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    oops .
  • Reply 27 of 93
    Quote:

the company predicts that adoption will only reach 16.3 percent by 2013.

That's extremely conservative. If a low end BD-ROM drive is $80 now (desktop), it's probably going to be $20-30 by 2013 at consumer price.. buy in high volume, and it's going to be even cheaper..
  • Reply 28 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

These Mac ads are getting old. All they can hammer on now is "Look, PCs have more viruses". Same old, same old.

I'm a recent PC to Mac convert (Lenovo ThinkPad X300 to 13" MacBook Pro) and I converted because of the battery life, sleek exterior design, and the challenge of a new operating system.

In fact, it hasn't really been much of a challenge at all. I've been able to pickup and learn things on my own over the past 3 weeks and **drumroll** it isn't much different than my old X300 when running Windows 7 RC. Everything just "works" as it did on my PC and of course there are no viruses -- although I've never had a virus on any of my PCs in the past (maybe it's because I'm careful about browsing the internet or maybe it's because I always used antivirus software).

To tell you the truth, the whole Mac vs PC in general is just getting old be it from commercials or from fanboys -- both are just go about different ways to solve our everyday computing problems and make life easier and both are perfectly fine.

Pick your poison and drink up, but the flames from either side at the other isn't going to get us anywhere. Ford vs Chevy, BMW vs Mercedes, Ferrari vs Lamborghini, Honda vs Toyota, pfffffff!!!!!

Glad to hear your story. You knew that a PC could do the trick, but wanted something different and so chose Mac. You even acknowledge that the Mac performs as well as your old PC, that neither are better or worse. I like that mentality.

You are very much correct: these days it really doesn't matter which side you pick. Both do the same thing different ways. (I went from Mac back to PC. Works just fine, and my machines work just as well as my old macs.)

I definitely whole heartedly agree with the Mac vs PC thing being old. Thank you.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

And let me correct your grammar:

Isn't Apple supposed to get new tech into its computers before Dell and HP?

Yes- didn't you notice the SD card slots in the MacBook Pros that arrived June 2009?

Seriously- NO. Apple used to. They were in the forefront with DVD drives back in the early iMac days. But their motus operandi has changed. They have focused more their own physical design i.e. slimness and touch screen technology rather than universal add-ons. No Blu-ray, no HDMI, etc . Yet, that is.
  • Reply 30 of 93
    Quote:

Pick your poison and drink up, but the flames from either side at the other isn't going to get us anywhere. Ford vs Chevy, BMW vs Mercedes, Ferrari vs Lamborghini, Honda vs Toyota, pfffffff!!!!!

Many people would argue- at least on one side of the 'flames' - that it's more like Ford v. BMW, Chevy v. Mercedes, Toyota v. Lamborghini, and Honda v. Ferrari.
  • Reply 31 of 93
    Holey Krap Peepel....

Wiil yuo guise pleeze turne onn speel chek oar ate leest looke ate wat yu aer typin?

You all look like complete morons in most of these posts! Right click and select CHECK SPELLING WHILE TYPING for God's sake! Then please look at the grammar you are using.

The PC users are going to have a field day with this thread if it gets out...
  • Reply 32 of 93
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Glad to hear your story. You knew that a PC could do the trick, but wanted something different and so chose Mac. You even acknowledge that the Mac performs as well as your old PC, that neither are better or worse. I like that mentality.

You are very much correct: these days it really doesn't matter which side you pick. Both do the same thing different ways. (I went from Mac back to PC. Works just fine, and my machines work just as well as my old macs.)

I definitely whole heartedly agree with the Mac vs PC thing being old. Thank you.

Yeah, it's pretty much an even swap IMHO when it comes to the operating system. The only thing that has tripped me up in recent days is that our wireless HP printer was acting up and was feeding an error to my wife's laptop about the ink being past its expiration date (her PC is running Windows 7 RC). The first thing I did was reach for the touchpad and try to do gestures only to start scratching my head when nothing happened

But as far as apps are concerned:

PC --> Mac

Office 2010 Beta --> Open Office 3.0.1

Paint.net --> Gimp

Trillian Astra --> Adium

Media Player Classic --> VLC Player

Firefox 3.5 --> Firefox 3.5

iTunes --> iTunes

NVU --> NVU

Thunderbird 3.0 Beta --> Thunderbird 3.0 Beta

uTorrent --> uTorrent

To tell you the truth, it's been pretty boring. I was expecting more drama or something to add a little spring in my step, but whattya know, both experiences have been pretty much the same -- solid everyday performance with no crashes.

The biggest differences I've noticed have been the much better battery life and much faster video encoding (2.26 GHz vs 1.2 GHz on my ThinkPad). Overall everyday computing has been pretty much a wash (1.2 GHz + 64GB SLC SSD vs 2.26GHz + 5400 RPM HDD).
  • Reply 33 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

isn't apple supposed to get new tech into it's computers before Dell and HP?

Punctuation, etc. aside, no.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    So 3.6% of people buy a computer with Blu-ray. Interesting. So, assuming a (generous) 10% market share for Apple, then BR-equipped mac shipments would only total .036% of total US computers.

All those haters crying for BD sure do make a lot of noise.
  • Reply 35 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I always disliked the Mac ads... even when I was an Apple fan.

What made you switch? Just curious....
  • Reply 36 of 93
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously the writing is on the wall here, tablets will not have optical drives, so distribution needs a new vehicle. The rational vehicle is SD memory cards. Combine that with the need to eliminate optical drives from laptops and it becomes obvious that Blu-Rays future is extremely limited.

The reliability and low power nature of SD flash storage is about to steam roll into the handheld and laptop market. Like it or not CD type drives are very legacy in nature.

Dave

OMG, that's the best idea I've heard amongst all these people. Yeah, with SD cards getting cheaper by the month, I can easily see when eventually it will replace Blu-Ray. So, does this SD movie card scheme come with DRM? Well, I guess I could see that if you're renting a movie...

Give SD cards another year or two and no doubt it'll start competing on price with Blu-ray discs on both price and capacity. And it'll be more portable, since you won't have to lug around an internal/external optical drive in case you want to watch movies on the go. Then again, WHY would you want to watch HD in non-ideal circumstances... <sarcasm>hey wait, that's what everyone wants though, watching a HD movie w/ Blu-Ray in non-ideal circumstances with sunlight blocking that resolution..

Actually I wonder whether tablets will even have SD cards.. at least for Apple's tablet. The way I see the rumors is that Apple will introduce it like a bigger iPod touch. Still requires another computer to manage all the data, and of course, you're going to use iTunes for that. So I reckon it'll be Apple pushing for iTunes HD video downloads instead, thereby eliminating physical drives entirely
  • Reply 37 of 93
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

These Mac ads are getting old. All they can hammer on now is "Look, PCs have more viruses". Same old, same old.

I agree the Mac ads in their current form are getting a bit tired.

Quote:

I'm a recent PC to Mac convert (Lenovo ThinkPad X300 to 13" MacBook Pro) and I converted because of the battery life, sleek exterior design, and the challenge of a new operating system.

In fact, it hasn't really been much of a challenge at all. I've been able to pickup and learn things on my own over the past 3 weeks and **drumroll** it isn't much different than my old X300 when running Windows 7 RC. Everything just "works" as it did on my PC and of course there are no viruses -- although I've never had a virus on any of my PCs in the past (maybe it's because I'm careful about browsing the internet or maybe it's because I always used antivirus software).

To tell you the truth, the whole Mac vs PC in general is just getting old be it from commercials or from fanboys -- both are just go about different ways to solve our everyday computing problems and make life easier and both are perfectly fine...

Mac's are not a challenge, you want challenge, you need Linux.

Mac's are for people with better things to do than tweak under the hood to keep it running, but if someone is so inclined to tweak, there is a lot to play with.

Anti-virus scans for known infections, it's a after thought after your already infected and your computer already pwned. It's no solution for well designed OS security, like what a Mac has.

The first thing malware is going to do is disable the anti-virus anyway, so you may have been thinking your malware free all this time and you might not be.

I had a PC guy who thought his machine was clean, I ran the Microsoft Livecare, and it found a rootkit which was using the anti-virus he had installed to keep other malware off it's bot.

It's apparent your not into the vast amounts of free pr0n that's available online, because that's a prime vector for infection.
  • Reply 38 of 93
    guckygucky Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

So 3.6% of people buy a computer with Blu-ray. Interesting. So, assuming a (generous) 10% market share for Apple, then BR-equipped mac shipments would only total .036% of total US computers.

All those haters crying for BD sure do make a lot of noise.

It's bad enough that so many posters are apparently incapable of spelling common English words. It appears they also can't perform trivial mathematical calculations: 10% = 0.1, so that would make it 0.36% and not 0.036%. A significant difference! And some of us would actually like to watch our blu-ray movies when we travel. If you or others don't like it, don't select what will likely remain a custom option for 2 or 3 years. Also the average Mac buyer cares more about quality and is more affluent which might well result in a higher percentage of customers choosing a blu-ray option. And no, we wouldn't want to buy DVD versions of movies we already own like someone here seemed to suggest!
  • Reply 39 of 93
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Dave

I agree, SD is going to rule.

With 2TB SDXC cards having twice the access speed of a 7,200 RPM hard drive...cheap, thin and portable. BlueRay is doomed as a storage medium for computers, even SSD and RAMs life is suddenly looking sort of bleak.

Apple has included a SD port on it's newer machines, it can access the larger capacity SD cards coming, but the speed is hobbled right now.

Apple likes thin, and SD has it.

Watching BlueRay movies on computers? Might be shifted to a third party device instead or a new kind of disk scanner that reads the whole disk without having to spin it and waste valuable space and energy.
  • Reply 40 of 93
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I agree the Mac ads in their current form are getting a bit tired.

Mac's are not a challenge, you want challenge, you need Linux.

Mac's are for people with better things to do than tweak under the hood to keep it running, but if someone is so inclined to tweak, there is a lot to play with.

Anti-virus scans for known infections, it's a after thought after your already infected and your computer already pwned. It's no solution for well designed OS security, like what a Mac has.

The first thing malware is going to do is disable the anti-virus anyway, so you may have been thinking your malware free all this time and you might not be.

I had a PC guy who thought his machine was clean, I ran the Microsoft Livecare, and it found a rootkit which was using the anti-virus he had installed to keep other malware off it's bot.

It's apparent your not into the vast amounts of free pr0n that's available online, because that's a prime vector for infection.

Don't assume the worst I've been a PC user for the past 15 years and started out as a newb, then as a PC repair tech for 3 years at a local mom and pop shop (mostly on the job learning as I was a 16 year-old looking to make some money during high school), then as a serious hardcore tweaker who had to have the latest video cards/CPUs/mobos, to my much more sedate "fastly approaching 30 and I don't give a crap about tweaking and just want something that works" phase

Never surfed sites that would be prone to malware, I never opened attachments from random people (and not even from friends unless I verified they sent the email). That, and I had a proper firewall and AV software running all the time.

It's pretty easy to be virus free if you're not careless about your surfing/emailing habits. Don't just assume that because you're on a PC that you have to be at some point subjected to virus infections.