Snow Leopard compatibility

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I really wanna update to SL on day 1 but I am taking several online classes and need the following apps to work out of the box:

MS Office 2008, Firefox, Adobe CS masters, VirtualBox and Real Player (school uses realplayer for all video lectures...I smell a pay off...)

can anyone using SL Gold master or the latest pre release confirm if this software works?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I really wanna update to SL on day 1 but I am taking several online classes and need the following apps to work out of the box:

MS Office 2008, Firefox, Adobe CS masters, VirtualBox and Real Player (school uses realplayer for all video lectures...I smell a pay off...)

can anyone using SL Gold master or the latest pre release confirm if this software works?

Chill. Rarely do new versions of Apple operating systems break compliant veteran applications. Snow Leopard is supposed to be something of an optimization of Leopard. This means that it is even more likely that Leopard-compatible apps will have no problems with Snow Leopard.

There exists a fan-based website that tests and publishes apps for Snow Leopard-compatibility. MS Office 2008, the most recent versions of Adobe CS and many others make the cut.

Chill.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    You're not going to see anywhere near as much broken this update as you would have seen in earlier OS X upgrades. Snow Leopard is good with most major components but if you're using something like Pro Tools you should wait as it could possibly break that.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mac64mac64 Posts: 13member
    The biggest update issues I forsee are plug-ins for the new 64-bit versions of Apple Applications like Safari and Apple Mail. Compatibility issues are typically solved by forcing them to run in 32-bit mode tho.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac64 View Post

The biggest update issues I forsee are plug-ins for the new 64-bit versions of Apple Applications like Safari and Apple Mail. Compatibility issues are typically solved by forcing them to run in 32-bit mode tho.

Maybe I will upgrade then...as I dont use Safari much anyway (unless I need 2 gmail sessions simultaneously)

the one real concern is realplayer, I NEED it to watch the video lectures, I have no idea why such a great informatics program would use something like REAL, but that is the hand I am dealt.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Yep. Things like 1password want to run in 32-bit mode only. Not a big deal. At least you can use them until they get caught up.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mac64mac64 Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Warbrain View Post

Yep. Things like 1password want to run in 32-bit mode only. Not a big deal. At least you can use them until they get caught up.

The latest version of 1Password v3.0 beta has 64-bit compatible plug-ins. Check for updates ^^ I'm on build 30023 atm.

Quote:

the one real concern is realplayer, I NEED it to watch the video lectures, I have no idea why such a great informatics program would use something like REAL, but that is the hand I am dealt.

• Reply 7 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

The latest version of 1Password v3.0 beta has 64-bit compatible plug-ins. Check for updates ^^ I'm on build 30023 atm.

THANKS!

now I am deciding if I should order now or go to the store on Fri. I am leaning twards going to the store because FEDEX usually comes to my neighborhood at 6PM
  • Reply 8 of 9
    All those apps work. I have been running 10a432 since it came out as my primary system and I know firsthand that they work without issues. The only thing I noticed that did not work was Vuze so I switched to uTorrent until a new version of Vuze comes out, and I also had to go from Limewire 4.18.8 to 5.2.13...and yes I already put in my order for the SL DVD although I run a hack_I figure for $29 you better support Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

You may also find the Snow Leopard Compatibility List useful.