Adobe abandons CS3 legacy support for Apple's Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 41 of 191
    joelpjoelp Posts: 1member
    I bought CS3 about two months before CS4 was announced. Got screwed then. Now, they're dropping support for CS3. Getting screwed again.
  • Reply 42 of 191
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    This begs the question - how far back should a company go to support new operating systems from Apple? One version? Two versions? Or is it time? Six months? One year? Does price of the upgrade play into this?
  • Reply 43 of 191
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    I just can't see upgrading to Snow Leopard in a professional environment for AT LEAST another year anyway. That gives CS3 some life yet and those using it plenty of time to save up for CS4/5.

Adobe knows that CS4 has been less than a runaway success, and it's buggy enough (still!) to make people want to hold off on using it until it is completely stable, even if that means not upgrading the OS. There is NO compelling reason, after all, to even upgrade to Leopard for a lot of places, let alone Snow Leopard. Many places still have multiple G5s that work just fine. So until there is a massive change to Intel hardware over the next two to three years, there is little reason to care about CS3 on Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 44 of 191
    QA it in India, publish a list of known issues and then when the large install base of CS3 users (who PAID their bonuses) outcries come out and fix it.

Or...

Let those same consumers Search for "alternative to photoshop"
  • Reply 45 of 191
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This statement is probably a well thought out Adobe strategy to increase users to update. Has anyone tried CS3 in the pre release Snow Kitty yet? I doubt it would have any problems but I could be wrong.
  • Reply 46 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

So until there is a massive change to Intel hardware over the next two to three years, there is little reason to care about CS3 on Snow Leopard.

Umm...there are other more important reasons some of us are upgrading to Snow Leopard besides Photoshop. Final Cut Studio 3 performance improvements anyone? Photoshop CS3 is just a tool that I use in addition to FCS 3. If it stops working, I will seek alternatives until CS5 is out. Not worth it for me to upgrade to CS4.
  • Reply 47 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donmique View Post

I can only think that this is part of an overall policy to make people update to a version that has little added value for an exorbitant price.

This was confirmed recently when I updated my Canon camera - now there is no Adobe RAW update for this camera in CS3 and I have to convert all CR2 files to PNG before I can even edit. Having spent £600 on a new camera, Adobe now expect me to spend another £500+ on CS4 to see my photos!!!

I may be misunderstanding you here, but wouldn't Aperture be a solution for you.
  • Reply 48 of 191
    Hmmm,

This makes me glad I decided to stick with the last Macromedia Suite (I use FireWorks extensively) and not upgrade to either CS3 or CS4. Sure, I have to run it in Rosetta, but frankly I haven't seen where Adobe has improved things enough to justify the switch.

This kind of tomfoolery, abandoning a huge installed user base -- especially with a relatively recent product -- is just inexcusable for a corporation as ubiquitous as Adobe. Not every small business out there has $600 per seat to drop every two years.

Maybe I ought to spend some of that money on a PayPal donation to help get The Gimp for Mac up to par.
  • Reply 49 of 191
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelp View Post

I bought CS3 about two months before CS4 was announced. Got screwed then. Now, they're dropping support for CS3. Getting screwed again.

How is anybody screwing you? Did CS3 suddenly stop working when CS4 was released? Does CS3 no longer work now Apple have release SL? No, to both.

Nobody says you have to upgrade your OS or your hardware.
  • Reply 50 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

If you have any memory of the recent evolution of OS X, Adobe has bent over backwards for this platform:

2000 - 2002: Migration of suite from OS 9 to OS X, a completely new OS.

2005-2006: Migration from PPC/Codeweaver to Universal/Xcode. This required changing not just their code base, but their entire development process, using a yet unproven tool: XCode. They even helped Apple improve XCode during this process.

2008- Sorry, Adobe, we changed our mind: no 64-bit Carbon. This forced Adobe to move their entire suite to Cocoa for CS5.

They are doing a remarkable job keeping up with these changes in the course of their regular upgrade cycle. I think things will finally settle down for them, as there is not much left that Apple can do to them, but they have had a rough nine years supporting a huge, complex suite on the Mac platform. We should all be thankful they didn't give up or simply skip major releases on the Mac.

Just a question; wouldn't the tools Apple now provide to developers for Snow Kitty conversion be of any help to Adobe with CS3 or is there a technical problem preventing this?
  • Reply 51 of 191
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Is this payback for iPhones not supporting FLASH?
  • Reply 52 of 191
    It's hard to image a company even 1,000th the size of Adobe not supporting software less than a year out of date in a new mac os.

I pity myself for being stuck in their web of corporate B.S. ...

With no other competition in the field, they can be obtuse to the real needs of their user base and seemingly "get away with it".

Aaarrrgh.
  • Reply 53 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoboNerd View Post

Hmmm,

This makes me glad I decided to stick with the last Macromedia Suite (I use FireWorks extensively) and not upgrade to either CS3 or CS4. Sure, I have to run it in Rosetta, but frankly I haven't seen where Adobe has improved things enough to justify the switch.

This kind of tomfoolery, abandoning a huge installed user base -- especially with a relatively recent product -- is just inexcusable for a corporation as ubiquitous as Adobe. Not every small business out there has $600 per seat to drop every two years.

Maybe I ought to spend some of that money on a PayPal donation to help get The Gimp for Mac up to par.

I have long wished Apple would add to their pro suit line up, both vector and a pixel based graphics applications (or even one to do both) to replace the need for PS and Illustrator.
  • Reply 54 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have long wished Apple would add to their pro suit line up, both vector and a pixel based graphics applications (or even one to do both) to replace the need for PS and Illustrator.

Yeah. They're acting like Quark Express did before they started to go away...
  • Reply 55 of 191
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macornot View Post

It's hard to image a company even 1,000th the size of Adobe not supporting software less than a year out of date in a new mac os.

I pity myself for being stuck in their web of corporate B.S. ...

Can I ask what field you're in; print media, web dev?
  • Reply 56 of 191
    Gustav, try to read before you post !

You're right though .. Carbon is not necessarily slower, but let's face it .. it probably is slower .. and definitely is less flexible - why else is it being depricated ?

Whether carbon uses more RAM, in inconsequential .. The fact is that photoshop gobbles many GB's of RAM and disk resource to apply a simple transform. Do a transform real-time in Preview with the same image .. hey .. no problem !

I don't care if it's carbon or somebody left a bunch of space invader code in there -- just fix it already !

Adobe Photoshop's memory management is atrocious .. I am not suggesting this is related to Carbon, but I wouldn't rule it out either

Now I'm tired of it .. and I want an alternative

Microsoft have fallen into the same ditch .. yep let's just milk the old code till we have to change it .. well too late !

I really dont expect (and can't) pay every 18 months for essentially the same warmed over old code. Some comments here are bang-on .. iphoto and preview do the basics better than photoshop .. it's old and tired .. and it's time for change

Adobe you just screwed the golden goose (to mix some metaphors)
  • Reply 57 of 191
    .. and Nash (Adobe) .. citing lack of resources is just not on !

You keep taking all my resources and the resources of hundreds of thousands of poor users for using your ancient code
  • Reply 58 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

How is anybody screwing you? Did CS3 suddenly stop working when CS4 was released? Does CS3 no longer work now Apple have release SL? No, to both.

Nobody says you have to upgrade your OS or your hardware.

besides CS3 runs on SL. why everyone whines?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...6&postcount=20
  • Reply 59 of 191
    .. why everyone whines ?

well because every 18 months Adobe charges creative professionals more than what people spend on their hardware to stay current with this pile of inefficient old code
  • Reply 60 of 191
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Oh look. All the naysayers are coming out of the closet and changing their stance on pirating.

Maybe now you'll realize how for some, torrenting isn't about blatant pirating.