Adobe abandons CS3 legacy support for Apple's Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 61 of 191
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Boycott Adobe! Pirate Adobe! Steal Adobe! Hack Adobe! Short Adobe! Never purchase another Adobe product again!

Hey, why should these scumbags support a $1000 program they sold until last year when they can screw their customers? It's time for all of us to screw Adobe royally.

That said, CS3 works as well as CS4 with SL. The punks @ Adobe are trying to trick us into an needless upgrade.

I want us all to bankrupt Adobe!
  • Reply 62 of 191
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just a question; wouldn't the tools Apple now provide to developers for Snow Kitty conversion be of any help to Adobe with CS3 or is there a technical problem preventing this?

I think Adobe focuses on upcoming versions as opposed to patching older versions when the OS platforms change. However, there should be no ground-shaking platform, OS, or development environment changes on the Mac for the foreseeable future, so maybe it will be less of a strain on Adobe to start offering patches for previous versions when new Mac OS versions come out.
  • Reply 63 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

I think Adobe focuses on upcoming versions as opposed to patching older versions when the OS platforms change. However, there should be no ground-shaking platform, OS, or development environment changes on the Mac for the foreseeable future, so maybe it will be less of a strain on Adobe to start offering patches for previous versions when new Mac OS versions come out.

Man I'm good. From John Nack's blog today:

"[Update: No one said anything about CS3 being "not supported" on Snow Leopard. The plan, however, is not to take resources away from other efforts (e.g. porting Photoshop to Cocoa) in order to modify 2.5-year-old software in response to changes Apple makes in the OS foundation.]"
  • Reply 64 of 191
    And more from the horse's mouth (blogs.adobe.com) (note that Adobe isn't nearly as opaque as Apple):

"Think of what fixing something [in CS3] would mean: all your engineers (QE and Dev) haven't touched that code/processes in 3+ years and have been working on 2 generations ahead. You'd have to stop work on CS5, have a huge paradigm shift to look at the older code/tools/problems, frustrate all your engineering staff doing that (no one wants to look back at bugs they already fixed), reconfigure build machines and test machines (remember Apple's dev tools are tied to OS releases, so to build CS3 you'd have to setup Tiger Machines to build, using old versions of XCode, and debugging can't be native so you must use painful remote debugging, etc.). When you think about it, it quickly becomes impractical. Basically, the choice is fixes for CS3, costs for the switch backwards would probably well into the 8 figure dollar amounts, and a 6 month delay for CS5 (with an even higher lost opportunity costs), all for the chance to gain no additional revenue and have an investor revolt and stock value plummet, while your current customers leave in frustration because it takes you much longer between releases... or... since you can't fix anything that breaks in CS3, why bother to test much?

If this was your company, which would you choose: (1) Focus on making the best products that you can and making most of your current and future customers happy -or- (2) focus on old products, using old tools and technology, to make your out-of-date customers happy?"
  • Reply 65 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

Can I ask what field you're in; print media, web dev?

Had the pleasure of doing both.

Now using cs 2 & 3 on differnent machines.

Will be interesting to see how buggy they get on 10.5...
  • Reply 66 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macornot View Post

I meant to say 10.6...
  • Reply 67 of 191
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flippetybob View Post

.. why everyone whines ?

well because every 18 months Adobe charges creative professionals more than what people spend on their hardware to stay current with this pile of inefficient old code

If you don't like the software don't use it. And if it's a matter of being current why does anybody care about CS3, shouldn't they be using the latest version if staying current is their wish?
  • Reply 68 of 191
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

If you don't like the software don't use it. And if it's a matter of being current why does anybody care about CS3, shouldn't they be using the latest version if staying current is their wish?

Do you have *any* *idea* how much it costs to upgrade the CS3 suite to CS4?
  • Reply 69 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macornot View Post

Just as an example, nothing personal:

If I asked you to develope my website, and we agreed on spec and price, and you supplied a product I was happy with; would you feel obliged, when 18months later I update my hardware, or some function of the site, to carry on updating your site because of changes I want to make to the spec? Would you expect to be paid?
  • Reply 70 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianmac47 View Post

If there was ever a justification for pirating software, Adobe is at the forefront of making a case. CS3 isn't a decade old legacy program; its not even three years old.

There is never a justification for pirating software.
  • Reply 71 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Boycott Adobe! Pirate Adobe! Steal Adobe! Hack Adobe! Short Adobe! Never purchase another Adobe product again!

I want us all to bankrupt Adobe!

Be careful for what you wish, for it may come true.

No Adobe, no Adobe software, nothing

Is that what you REALLY WANT?
  • Reply 72 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john.b View Post

do you have *any* *idea* how much it costs to upgrade the cs3 suite to cs4?

*£515*
  • Reply 73 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Do you have *any* *idea* how much it costs to upgrade the CS3 suite to CS4?

So how much do you think that my car dealer should charge me to upgrade my 1, 2 or 3 year old cars?
  • Reply 74 of 191
    The Donger say: No more yankie my wankie.

CS3 run fine on Snow Cat. You no more wine about it.

Must go now. The Donger need food.
  • Reply 75 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

So how much do you think that my car dealer should charge me to upgrade my 1, 2 or 3 year old cars?

If he asks more than £1,000 it's an outrage! I think you should just steal one off the forecourt to teach the greedy swine a lesson
  • Reply 76 of 191
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    i've had cs4 for quite a while.

i like it. imo, it was a decent upgrade for the money.

it really doesn't take much to recoup the cost for the upgrade. i just finished a job that took care of that. my priorities probably aren't that much different than most on these threads. yes, it's terribly slow job-wise out there, and i'm having to work a couple of jobs for utw, but you make due with what you have.

do you people want the upgrade for free? if you want to continue using cs3, keep running it on leopard?it's a perfectly viable os and everything works fine. if you HAVE to have snow leopard, run it on your primary drive with the knowledge that it's not going to be supported, or get another drive. as someone on this thread posted, no obvious problems running cs3 on sl.

i believe not having what you want, when you want it, is part of the maturation process. we fan boys are always telling pc users that they don't have to buy apple. you guys don't have to upgrade to cs4. no one's twisting your arm.
  • Reply 77 of 191
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

Be careful for what you wish, for it may come true.

No Adobe, no Adobe software, nothing

Is that what you REALLY WANT?

Yes! There is no company in the software industry that gouges and screws their customers more frequently than Adobe. I use Pixelmator half the time anyway.
  • Reply 78 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelp View Post

I bought CS3 about two months before CS4 was announced. Got screwed then. Now, they're dropping support for CS3. Getting screwed again.

If I recall at the time, you could have upgraded to the CS4 for less than $200 or even nothing. Whatever it was, the difference in price, was more significant than in the increased power and functionality that the new suite offered.

Just how do you expect Adobe to support CS3 on Snow Leopard baffles me. CS3 wasn't programmed for dual core 64-bit processing?

Do you know what "support" means?
  • Reply 79 of 191
    Quote:

If he asks more than £1,000 it's an outrage! I think you should just steal one off the forecourt to teach the greedy swine a lesson

Let us know when you open your dealership.
  • Reply 80 of 191
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Clearly, there is going to be a run on pirated copies of CS4 after this announcement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ccchr View Post

They shouldn't be surprised if people obtain illegal copies of their latest CS4.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by codymr View Post

Then they wonder why people torrent pirated copies of their software.

I could have gone on... if this level of outcry had been made about the healthcare system, we'd have had universal health-care decades ago. Amazing so many people argue against tax to keep people healthy, but are more than happy to download applications illegally and burden those of us who do pay for them to pick up the tab - BTW, I am not picking on you three, I have no idea what your politic are, but I have seen these comments on almost all of the Mac sites.

If you can't afford something, should you have it? Most people who use CS3 or even CS4 are just kids who think they need a $1000 suite to resize the shitty photos they take on their SLRs they can barely use.

I think what Adobe is doing sucks as well... so, don't use their stuff. There ARE alternatives, some are free.