Sources: Apple to unveil new iPod lineup on September 9

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2017
Apple currently plans to host a media event on Wednesday, Sept. 9 to introduce its 2009 iPod offerings and make a host of other music-related announcements, AppleInsider can independently confirm.

People familiar with the matter say the Cupertino-based electronics maker had been teetering between Sept. 8 and Sept. 9 for weeks, but most recently indicated to its industry-related partners that the latter of the two dates would be more feasible.?

Apple, as it has for the past four years, is expected to use the gathering to introduce new versions of its iPod nano and iPod touch digital music players, both of which should serve as dual-purpose point-and-shoot cameras for the first time. AppleInsider also has it on authority that cameras are just one piece to this year's iPod story.

Also likely is an introduction of iTunes 9, which has widely been rumored in recent weeks to make its debut with a handful of social networking features -- a first of sorts for Apple. Unexpected is anything having to do with the much anticipated Newton Web tablet, which isn't expected to surface in any form until the first calendar quarter of 2010.

While it's unclear at which venue Apple will hold the event, San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center would seem a likely candidate if past years (1, 2, 3, 4) are of any indication. The Moscone West is also another potential candidate site. Analysts and members of the media should start receiving invitations will full details roughly one week prior.

Word that Apple cordoned off Sept. 9 for its annual fall event was first published earlier this month by John Paczkowski on the D | All Things Digital blog.?

All of the HomeKit compatible products released at CES this year:

table {
border-collapse: collapse;
width: 100%;
}

td, th {
border: 1px solid #dddddd;
text-align: left;
padding: 8px;
}

tr:nth-child(even) {
background-color: #dddddd;
}

Smart Lighting Security Bridging Devices Locks Other
iDevices Instant Switch Omna 180 Cam HD ConnectSense Bluetooth Extender Yale Real Living Assure Locks Chamberlain Smart Garage Hub
Incipio CommandKit WiFi Smart Wall Switch Withings Home Plus Mixtile Hub Yale NexTouch Wireless Locks First Alert Onelink Environment Monitor
Leviton Decora light switches Honeywell Lyric Home Security & Control System Eve Extend Kwikset Premis smart lock Netatmo Smart Smoke Alarm
Lifx Plus smart bulb Fibaro Motion Sensor Friday Smart Lock Carrie Cor smart thermostats
Sylvania Multicolor smart bulb Fibaro Door/Window Sensor Sensory Voice Genie
Fibaro Flood Sensor ConnectSense Temperature and Humidity Sensor
Ring Floodlight Cam ConnectSense Temperature and Humidity Sensor
ConnectSense Water Sensor

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    If the new iPods don't come with built-in laser beams so I can vanquish my enemies, I'm not getting one.
  • Reply 2 of 103
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

If the new iPods don't come with built-in laser beams so I can vanquish my enemies, I'm not getting one.

But there's an app for that.
  • Reply 3 of 103
    What's a "Newton Web tablet," and how can it be much anticipated if I've never heard of it?
  • Reply 4 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

People familiar with the matter say the Cupertino-based electronics maker had been teetering between Sept. 8 and Sept. 9 for weeks

Really, there is that much discussion about the difference of one day?
  • Reply 5 of 103
    It would not make sense for the tablet to be released in Q1.

I will not be surprised if it comes on the 9th. I will also not be surprised if it comes anytime between now and Xmas.

I WILL be surprised if it does not arrive until 2010.
  • Reply 6 of 103
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    This just in. The sun rises in the East. Repeat: The sun rises in the East.

• Reply 7 of 103
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    So this will make the version of iTunes that comes with Snow Leopard the shortest release lifetime of any Apple product.

Anyway, by Sep 9 the first round of bug reports and possible show-stoppers for SL should be in. That would make it a good quarantine period before installing.
  • Reply 8 of 103
    What if the ten inch ipod touch is not 'the' tablet. What if there are two types of tablets. One is an extended ipod touch which will be announced next week. The other is a touch based mac osx which can also run iphone/ipod applications. The latter will come out next year.
  • Reply 9 of 103
    What about an update to AppleTV?! It seems long overdue...
  • Reply 10 of 103
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

It would not make sense for the tablet to be released in Q1.

I will not be surprised if it comes on the 9th. I will also not be surprised if it comes anytime between now and Xmas.

I WILL be surprised if it does not arrive until 2010.

Apple can generate hype and sales any time of the year with a new product. Why would a January release surprise you? An ~$800 tablet makes a rather pricey Christmas gift anyway. It will be out when it is ready.
  • Reply 11 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caedfel View Post

What if there are two types of tablets.

Teh Steve don't roll like that (thankfully).

Apple doesn't clutter up its product line with needlessly-overlapping models. They did in the past (during the 90s) and learned a hard lesson that it only adds work and confusion for everybody, from Apple's own hardware engineers, to retailers, to developers, to customers.

For good counter-examples, see Creative, Sony, Microsoft, and to a certain extent, Linux.
  • Reply 12 of 103
    There's no way Apple is consciously scheduling a music event on the same day the Beatles' digitally remastered catalog is coming out, unless the Beatles are part of Apple's event.
  • Reply 13 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

This just in. The sun rises in the East. Repeat: The sun rises in the East.

More like this...

Sources confirm Sun to rise in the East and set in the West.
  • Reply 14 of 103
    The next big question is when will the hardware be available? I suspect/hope right away.
  • Reply 15 of 103
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    I will bet my left foot that Steve not only gives the keynote, but also has "one more thing" to offer at the end.

And I'm guessing it will either be the tablet or the beatles, but I would wager that the tablet is more likely..

didn't Micheal Jackson own the rights to most Beatles songs?
  • Reply 16 of 103
    I know they announce them at such events on Sept. 9, but when will they go on sale after the annoucement?
  • Reply 17 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

There's no way Apple is consciously scheduling a music event on the same day the Beatles' digitally remastered catalog is coming out, unless the Beatles are part of Apple's event.

Good catch:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...eally-fn-good/

Personally, while I like the Beatles, I don't think they command attention these days. Most fans already own all the CDs, and while a remaster set is nice people are turned off by the prospect of getting on a 'music upgrade' treadmill. How often do the labels simply tweak the recording and re-package everything just to sell the same songs all over again? We've all learned, both with music and movie re-releases, that the terms 'Ultimate', 'Definitive', and 'Final' editions mean nothing.
  • Reply 18 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Good catch:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...eally-fn-good/

Personally, while I like the Beatles, I don't think they command attention these days. Most fans already own all the CDs, and while a remaster set is nice people are turned off by the prospect of getting on a 'music upgrade' treadmill. How often do the labels simply tweak the recording and re-package everything just to sell the same songs all over again? We've all learned, both with music and movie re-releases, that the terms 'Ultimate', 'Definitive', and 'Final' editions mean nothing.

Well the thing is this is the first time the songs have been remastered since they came out on CD in 87. And those CDs were derided for the poor quality sound. I don't think the Beatles work on the treadmill method
  • Reply 19 of 103
    While I am tired of hearing/reading news about the imminent release of the entire Beatles on iTunes -- and I am not really that interested in buying it -- Rock Band's Beatles edition comes out 9.9.09.
  • Reply 20 of 103
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caedfel View Post

What if the ten inch ipod touch is not 'the' tablet. What if there are two types of tablets.

The ten incher is likely in the future but I do suspect multiple Touch based devices this go around. Here are the guesses:

An upgraded Touch, this is so obvious that I doubt anybody will disagree. What is inside the case is an open question the upgrade is not though.

A hybrid Nano, this device would include a small Touch screen and a limited set of apps. It would likely track patents Apple has on file for integration of the click wheel into the screen.

A Newton Touch device, this would have a seven inch or so screen and a lot more memory. It would very much be a Touch based iPod but with a big screen.

Quote:

One is an extended ipod touch which will be announced next week. The other is a touch based mac osx which can also run iphone/ipod applications.

I really don't think a Mac OS/X device exists. It would be doomed to failure if it did. Instead I expect multiple Touch based devices to hit the shelves. In the case of the ten incher it will be running an enhanced version of iPhone OS. The seven inch device could very well just run regular Touch though I expect Apple to continue to improve Touch.

Quote:

The latter will come out next year.

It is interesting that we have less than two weeks to go and there has been very little in the way of leaks. So I won't speculate on when the big boy will come. What I'd like to know is what magic secrecy pill did Apple get all it's subcontractors to swallow with respect to iPods in general. Touch, Nano, Shuffle and what ever is new, there have been no leaks. This leads me to guess that a major revamping of the entire line up is about to happen.

Dave