Snow Leopard GM "Unofficial" First Impressions

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

i've noticed that the Logitec Control Center for Mac logtiech products is not compatible with 10.6.

Wonder how long that will take.

Guess, two months knowing that crowd.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

i've noticed that the Logitec Control Center for Mac logtiech products is not compatible with 10.6.

Wonder how long that will take.

I havne't noticed any problems.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

I havne't noticed any problems.

meaning you can go to logitech's website, download and install it, with 10.6? I'd like proof as I doubt you could.

After installing 10.6, the Preference Pane for LCC was still there, but when opened, no Keyboard or Mouse were recognized (for customization). I removed and tried to re-install and was presented with the message that Logitech Control Center is not yet compatible with 10.6
  • Reply 64 of 71
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I think adoption of Snow Leopard will be slow being that Apple is leaving behind lots of PowerPC computers still in use. Lots of design and audio/visual shops aren't going to throw away all their PPC Macs just for Snow Leopard.

Many of those computers are not updated at all.

By the way, its 2009. The only place you are going to find masses of Apple computers are in the premium design labs at colleges and universities. None of those computers are more than 1-2 years old.

It doesn't work too well, when your students bring personal laptops in with more sophisticated and capable hardware/software than what's in the lab.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    d00byd00by Posts: 2member
    It's offficial! Snow Leopard shipping on 8/28 according to apple store! w00t!

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA...mco=NzgxMDc2NA
  • Reply 66 of 71
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

meaning you can go to logitech's website, download and install it, with 10.6? I'd like proof as I doubt you could.

After installing 10.6, the Preference Pane for LCC was still there, but when opened, no Keyboard or Mouse were recognized (for customization). I removed and tried to re-install and was presented with the message that Logitech Control Center is not yet compatible with 10.6

I updated 10.5 and it's working fine - I havent' tried reinstalling, but the installer script might check the OS version.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The reason to retain Quicktime 7 is that you can't do any proper editing with QTX, you can only trim the end points, which is pretty much useless.

Good thing Snow Leopard retains your QT7 Pro install, then.

Quote:

I found a few big apps crashed - OpenGL ones, and the Finder crashed a few times. Menus would randomly not appear and not activate, no system prefs loaded properly, I had to launch each from the Finder.

The 10a432 I have doesn't feel ready but we'll see. The glitches may have been specific to my install. I'm not going to be an early adopter anyway.

I would wager they're specific to your install. I've seen nothing to suggest that 10A432 is anything but the Gold Master, and the fact that SL is coming out on Friday tends to support that.

That said, I'm sure we'll see 10.6.1 before the end of September.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    10.6 is running great on this 2' iMac.

The only downside so far is that menumeters hasn't been updated yet and refuses to run. The developer indicates that he's working on an update.

Other first impression: Wow, safari is ridiculously quick. It wasn't too long ago that we'd resize safari windows to test responsiveness. If its possible, resizing is even quicker than it was in 10.5

Edit: Oh, and list-based stacks are now responsive enough not to piss me off with every interaction. Even with folders of a few hundred items, they're instantaneous.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Open the installed package by looking in the Contents. (right click and Show contents) Then find the actual installer. It bypasses the install block and i got it to install. One quirk was some Expose stuff didn't work but I mapped those to function keys and then assigned mouse buttons to those function keys as a workaround.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Has anyone tried using Google Calendar with iCal?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by http://www.apple.com/lae/macosx/refinements/enhancements-refinements.html#mail

iCal sets up your Gmail and Yahoo! calendars automatically. Just type in your address and password, and iCal configures your calendars.

Link

Does it keep calendars in sync automatically and allow editing of all calendars from both iCal and online through google? This is a feature that I am looking forward to.

Google Sync uses exchange to keep google calendars in sync w/ my iPhone but the missing link is keeping iCal in sync. CalDav is close but doesn't work well with multiple calendars.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    mac64mac64 Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

Google Sync uses exchange to keep google calendars in sync w/ my iPhone but the missing link is keeping iCal in sync. CalDav is close but doesn't work well with multiple calendars.

Still uses CalDAV