Apple's Snow Leopard disc will install on Tiger Macs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Though users of older Intel-based Macs were led to believe they would have to spend $169 to migrate from Tiger to Snow Leopard, new reports state the $29 upgrade disc will work just fine.

In his review of Snow Leopard, Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal, Mossberg reveals that those who have been hesitant to upgrade their Mac will be able to take advantage of Snow Leopard's bargain price, without the need to install the intermediate Leopard operating system first.

"For owners of Intel-based Macs who are still using the older Tiger version of the Mac OS, Apple is officially making Snow Leopard available only in a "boxed set" that includes other software and costs $169," Mossberg said. "The reasoning is that these folks never paid the $129 back in 2007 to upgrade to Leopard. But here’s a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140."

Wired also confirmed that they were able to upgrade a system directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard. In addition, it is possible to completely erase a hard drive and install Snow Leopard without a pre-existing operating system in place, enabling users to bypass the possible headaches of an upgrade and go with a clean install instead. Wired said many users upgrading from Tiger should probably consider backing up their files from Tiger and doing a clean install instead.

"Of course, the transition isn’t guaranteed to be as smooth as it would be from Leopard to Snow Leopard," the report said of the Tiger to Snow Leopard upgrade, "and that’s because some older, Tiger-only third-party applications need to be upgraded to newer versions that work with Leopard or Snow Leopard."

Originally released in April 2005, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger is more than a little long in the tooth at this point, especially considering the astounding success of its follow-up, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 166
    Thank goodness this is finally cleared up (although we really knew yesterday with the story from Spain, although MR totally didn't report about the installation).

Maybe now all the douchebags who insisted that it absolutely wouldn't install without 10.5 already on the disk ("but it's an UPGRADE"!) based on absolutely nothing but their own hunches and wild speculation will learn to keep their yaps shut instead of trying to pass off their worthless opinions as fact.

But probably not.

Doubt we'll even see most of them admit they were wrong on this one. But here's your chance.
  • Reply 2 of 166
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though users of older Intel-based Macs were led to believe they would have to spend $169 to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard, new reports state the $29 upgrade disc will work just fine.

In his review of Snow Leopard, Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal, Mossberg reveals that those who have been hesitant to upgrade their Mac will be able to take advantage of Snow Leopard's bargain price, without the need to install the intermediate Leopard operating system first.

"For owners of Intel-based Macs who are still using the older Tiger version of the Mac OS, Apple is officially making Snow Leopard available only in a "boxed set" that includes other software and costs $169," Mossberg said. "The reasoning is that these folks never paid the $129 back in 2007 to upgrade to Leopard. But here?s a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140."

Wired also confirmed that they were able to upgrade a system directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard. In addition, it is possible to completely erase a hard drive and install Snow Leopard without a pre-existing operating system in place, enabling users to bypass the possible headaches of an upgrade and go with a clean install instead. Wired said many users upgrading from Tiger should probably consider backing up their files from Tiger and doing a clean install instead.

"Of course, the transition isn?t guaranteed to be as smooth as it would be from Leopard to Snow Leopard," the report said of the Tiger to Snow Leopard upgrade, "and that?s because some older, Tiger-only third-party applications need to be upgraded to newer versions that work with Leopard or Snow Leopard."

Originally released in April 2005, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger is more than a little long in the tooth at this point, especially considering the astounding success of its follow-up, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

For those of us who did buy Leopard and have thus paid the piper, let's not degrade ourselves by taking the low road that so many naysayers have done in the past.

If it works for them, so be it. Let's hope they are grateful and express their thanks properly.

But as my medical prof use to say, "Wishful thinking yound man. Wishful thinking."
  • Reply 3 of 166
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Thank goodness this is finally cleared up (although we really knew yesterday with the story from Spain, although MR totally didn't report about the installation).

Maybe now all the douchebags who insisted that it absolutely wouldn't install without 10.5 already on the disk ("but it's an UPGRADE"!) based on absolutely nothing but their own hunches and wild speculation will learn to keep their yaps shut instead of trying to pass off their worthless opinions as fact.

But probably not.

Doubt we'll even see most of them admit they were wrong on this one. But here's your chance.

You beat me to my backup response.

Have a good day. I hope we do.
  • Reply 4 of 166
    Isnt Apple the single best tech company of all time?
  • Reply 5 of 166
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    Microsoft should learn some thing from this

sweet apple :love:
  • Reply 6 of 166
    Well, I suppose Apple really wants all Intel-Mac users on Snow Leopard... odd they are trying to force iWork and iLife on Tiger users via this "box set." Isn't that kind of un-Apple?
  • Reply 7 of 166
    I'm upgrading from Tiger on the MBP and Leopard on the tower, and I did go ahead and order the Leopard box set last week to fulfill the upgrade conditions for the $29 SL upgrade. I'm glad to hear that the upgrade path will work on a clean HD with no OS, though... I bought a new HD to install on and I didn't want to have to go through an unnecessary Leopard install just to get SL running.

Kudos, Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 166
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .mac View Post

Microsoft should learn some thing from this

sweet apple :love:

like what? for most people its more economical to buy a new PC with a new version of Windows and buy a retail copy of Windows
  • Reply 9 of 166
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Well, I suppose Apple really wants all Intel-Mac users on Snow Leopard... odd they are trying to force iWork and iLife on Tiger users via this "box set." Isn't that kind of un-Apple?

Maybe, maybe not. We don't know to what extent Apple has tested old versions of iLife with Snow Leopard. What we do know is that iLife 09, according to Apple, required OS X 10.5 (which means no one running Tiger would already have iLife 09). My guess is they want to somewhat force the issue on keeping outdated versions of their own software away from Snow Leopard and therefore are not allowing iLife 08 and earlier to mix with SL.
  • Reply 10 of 166
    jetsetjetset Posts: 18member
    This is awesome news. The flood of SL netbook hackintoshes is going to be epic

Hurry up with that tablet Mapple!
  • Reply 11 of 166
    bobrikbobrik Posts: 36member
    I think there is a huge difference between "is technically possible" (to upgrade from Tiger to SL using the $29 upgrade) and "is allowed by the license" (of the upgrade). Until I hear some confirmation that the SL upgrade license does not preclude Tiger users from upgrading, I am not buying the $29 SL upgrade.
  • Reply 12 of 166
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Well it does mean that all 2006 Apple hardware buyers who might be using iWork '06 and iLife '06 will also get those updated to modern equivalents.

And yes, I think Apple would prefer all users on Snow Leopard where possible. Us PowerPC Tiger users will fade away as we upgrade our hardware in the next year, or the usage needs just don't need SL.
  • Reply 13 of 166
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    If it hadn't been this way, then if you have had to wipe and reinstall, you'd have to install 10.5 first, then 10.6. This way, you can wipe and simply install 10.6. So although they really do believe the $29 price is for guys who already bought 10.5, they're not so hard-core about it that they want to sabotage your experience.

Pretty decent of them, I'd say.
  • Reply 14 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobrik View Post

I think there is a huge difference between "is technically possible" (to upgrade from Tiger to SL using the $29 upgrade) and "is allowed by the license" (of the upgrade). Until I hear some confirmation that the SL upgrade license does not preclude Tiger users from upgrading, I am not buying the $29 SL upgrade.

You have an intel Mac and you're still running 10.4??
  • Reply 15 of 166
    I'm guessing there were not enough Intel/Tiger users to make it worth restricting the install of SL. The probably didn't spend any time in QA, but probably best to do a clean install anyway.
  • Reply 16 of 166
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Any OS X install disk will allow installation on an unlimited number of computers (from a practical point of view, but not from a legal or moral point of view).

Any Snow Leopard disk will install on any disk (regardless of pre-existing Leopard installation). But suddenly is morally ok, to install it without owning a Leopard license?
  • Reply 17 of 166
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"For owners of Intel-based Macs who are still using the older Tiger version of the Mac OS, Apple is officially making Snow Leopard available only in a "boxed set" that includes other software and costs $169," Mossberg said. "The reasoning is that these folks never paid the $129 back in 2007 to upgrade to Leopard. But here?s a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140."

Hmm... Purchased Leopard Family pack for multiple Macs at home solely because the software I needed for a project at the time was written and had functionality requiring OS 10.5 or so they say.

If the above quote is true, by my calculations, purchase of the $29.00 upgrade to SL vs the Family Pack upgrade will work just fine on my multiple Macs as well as knowledge that future OS releases to be installed on family of Macs does not require Family Pack.

Way to go Apple for single handedly debunking the mythical concept of the need for the "Family Pack"!

Either that or Apple owes me a refund! Bad Apple!!
  • Reply 18 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Us PowerPC Tiger users will fade away as we upgrade our hardware in the next year, or the usage needs just don't need SL.

No offense, but this just seems weird. The 10.5 users on PPC, I can understand them feeling bad about not being able to get SL (I've got a tower at home that'll be feeling left out). But a PPC user on 10.4??? If you want to get the cool feeling of a new OS, get Leopard. After all, most of the fun new stuff from a user's standpoint is there, not SL.
  • Reply 19 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

But probably not.

Just simply being correct doesn?t absolve you from also making stating opinions as facts "based on absolutely nothing but their own hunches and wild speculation?, assuming that is what your did. If not, then good on you.

It?s one thing to speculate and quite another to say with absolute certainty that it could not be done. Since Apple has never used any authentication for consumer OS X upgrades it?s not to imagine to imagine they wouldn?t do it this time, though the new price point does throw a new variable into the mix. I?m glad we don?t have to put in the old disc to verify or have Leopard pre-installed but nothing was certain until we got proof.
  • Reply 20 of 166
    bobrikbobrik Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

You have an intel Mac and you're still running 10.4??

Yeah, that's what I got with my Intel MBP 3,1 back in June 2007. To shell out $129 for Leopard that originally had to be released in June 2007 but got delayed by 4 months, without an up-to-date program available, would leave a bitter taste in my mouth (and wallet).