Review roundup: Snow Leopard sports subtle improvements

Comments

• Reply 61 of 169
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

She will, it's just a matter of time. Probably it will take a 'dump' just before the next deadline she has to meet!

Wow, so pessimistic.

It's not even worth arguing about it here. It seems as though only a few people have open minds or are able to think rationally about something outside their comfort zone.
  • Reply 62 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Wow, so pessimistic.

It's not even worth arguing about it here. It seems as though only a few people have open minds or are able to think rationally about something outside their comfort zone.

Sorry didn't mean to sound so 'snarky.' Sometimes trying to be funny via 'text' doesn't come across as intended. Just having a light conversation...not 'argueing.'

Please forgive my clumsy attempt at humor!

I did say, my brother-in-law was 'smart' for not upgrading windows OS's.
  • Reply 63 of 169
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conned View Post

I was unfortunate enough to have to use a defunct Apple Mac for the last couple of weeks. Before giving it to me, my friend upgraded it to the latest (crappy) Mac OS X which was the version right before "SNOW LEOPARD" (?)

The damn thing is SLOW as mollasess. I just cannot grasp how a computer that is running on an INTEL CORE 2 DUO, which is a very fast CPU, can be so sluggish! I mean it takes 30 seconds to switch from one application to another, if heaven forbid, I decide to use something as "advanced" as multitasking on it. Even switching from one window to another window in the SAME application takes at least 10 seconds! I mean what is wrong with these people??

What you describe sounds very much like way too little RAM (and thus memory constantly being swapped out to disk). I consider OS X to be unuseable with less than 2 GB of RAM but you might get by with 1.5 GB if you run very few applications.
  • Reply 64 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

And we should believe you of course because the racist remark in your header means you are oh-so unbiased?

Maybe he's just discriminatory against people's religion! (sarcasm...)
  • Reply 65 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

What you describe sounds very much like way too little RAM (and thus memory constantly being swapped out to disk). I consider OS X to be unuseable with less than 2 GB of RAM but you might get by with 1.5 GB if you run very few applications.

don't feed the trolls
  • Reply 66 of 169
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

... Why no image previews on the iDisk app? ...

It doesn't work for you? I can preview images within the iDisk app.
  • Reply 67 of 169
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

I was unfortunate enough to have to use a defunct Apple Mac for the last couple of weeks. Before giving it to me, my friend upgraded it to the latest (crappy) Mac OS X which was the version right before "SNOW LEOPARD" (?)

The damn thing is SLOW as mollasess. I just cannot grasp how a computer that is running on an INTEL CORE 2 DUO, which is a very fast CPU, can be so sluggish! I mean it takes 30 seconds to switch from one application to another, if heaven forbid, I decide to use something as "advanced" as multitasking on it. Even switching from one window to another window in the SAME application takes at least 10 seconds! I mean what is wrong with these people??

I have a HP Pavillion Windows Vista laptop with the same CPU as the Mac on it and it runs like a rocket in spite of the fact that Vista is supposed to be "slow" in comparison to Windows XP.

I think people should really boycott this stupid company (Apple) and let evolution put it out of its misery...obviously they do not have any engineers to help them out besides the INTEL engineers that helped them switch from PowerPC to Intel, 6 years ago.

defunct : no longer living, existing, or functioning <that firm is now defunct>

What do you expect from a "no longer living, existing, or functioning" computer .... tell me ... are all windoze users as dense as your comment is ?
  • Reply 68 of 169
    halvrihalvri Posts: 146member
    Quote:

I have a HP Pavillion Windows Vista laptop with the same CPU as the Mac on it and it runs like a rocket in spite of the fact that Vista is supposed to be "slow" in comparison to Windows XP.

I think people should really boycott this stupid company (Apple) and let evolution put it out of its misery...obviously they do not have any engineers to help them out besides the INTEL engineers that helped them switch from PowerPC to Intel, 6 years ago.

Please take your made up situation elsewhere if you so need to troll. A quick perusal or YouTube is all it would take to make you look like more of an idiot than you already are.
  • Reply 69 of 169
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    So SL is fine.

Very good.

Of course SL won't be s dramatic as Windows 7. Windows 7 is improving upon a flop.

SL is improving upon an already excellent operating system that sets the bar. Really, how much better can Leopard get?
  • Reply 70 of 169
    The Associated Press always gives the worst reviews for Macs.
  • Reply 71 of 169
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Lion, Cougar?

Lion, I have been saying that for a while. The king of the jungle after all.
  • Reply 72 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

If I recall it correctly, Microsoft did not announce the pricing of Windows 7 before WWDC so how could the pricing of Snow Leopard be an imitation of the pricing of Windows 7?

Pale imitation, meaning Snow Leopard is much cheaper.
  • Reply 73 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

So SL is fine.

Very good.

Of course SL won't be s dramatic as Windows 7. Windows 7 is improving upon a flop.

SL is improving upon an already excellent operating system that sets the bar. Really, how much better can Leopard get?

I agree with this. Expect the part where you think Leopard is perfect. Everything can be made better and better and better really. If they had a time machine and worked on it for another 12 months it would be even better. No Time Machine jokes please
  • Reply 74 of 169
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Lion, I have been saying that for a while. The king of the jungle after all.

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

I think I like it
  • Reply 75 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

I think I like it

Yeah, and the box will have the MGM logo on it.
  • Reply 76 of 169
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

I don't understand this mentality My wife has a $400 15.4" Toshiba laptop that she loves and uses everyday. It originally had Windows Vista Home Basic on it and now has Windows 7 RC1 on it. She'e never had any problems with it.

I personally run a 13" MacBook Pro and don't have any issues with it either.

Why does everything have to be so personal? There doesn't have to be a winner and loser (good guy/bad guy) in everything...

I have a 3+ year old MBP and my partner has a 2 year old Dell laptop. Every time I suggest that his next laptop should be a Mac, he just snickers at me and says he could get 2 PC laptops for one of my MBPs. He says his Dell works great and does exactly what he wants.

Then every once in a while I'll catch him sighing heavily when he boots up the laptop and the startup sound is at full volume, even though he always turns it down....every time.

Or I'll hear him say "WTF?" when he tries to shutdown the laptop as we're rushing out of the house only to have Windows, at that exact time, decide to apply updates and "...please wait". (That happened twice in a row)

Or he'll ask me "Why does this thing keep telling me that there's an update to my Logitech Mouse when I've closed the notification box three times already?" Or the same with the Inactive Desktop icons.....

Or he informs me that the network is down because he can't get anywhere on the network...I say, "Hold on, let me check." And then I bring up Google on Safari. "Nope, network's fine" I tell him.

But really, he loves his $700 Dell laptop.

• Reply 77 of 169
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Just ignore the sad troll, everyone. Apple envy makes people do strange things.
  • Reply 78 of 169
  • Reply 79 of 169
    Quote:

I see three possibilities here:

1. You have some serious hardware issues going with that Mac.

2. You are a troll.

3. You are a fucking idiot.

It's probably the last two...
  • Reply 80 of 169
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I just don't understand these installation times. While the WWDC build took 15 minutes to install on my Mac Pro and 24" iMac, the retail version takes 40 minutes.