Review roundup: Snow Leopard sports subtle improvements

Comments

• Reply 81 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some of the more popular software that has reportedly had problems includes Microsoft Word,...

Good to know. I was going to visit my Apple store right away and pick up Snow Leopard, but I use Word a lot, and if it's buggy, I'm going to have to wait for them to get those bugs fixed first....
  • Reply 82 of 169
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Totally possible. It would make perfect sense.
  • Reply 83 of 169
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    You don't even know the name of the version of OS X that comes before Snow Leopard, you don't say what Mac you're using and you have the nerve to tell people to boycott? you must be any of the following.

1. 13 years old.

2. Ignorant of computer hardware.

3. A total and complete dumbass.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conned View Post

I was unfortunate enough to have to use a defunct Apple Mac for the last couple of weeks. Before giving it to me, my friend upgraded it to the latest (crappy) Mac OS X which was the version right before "SNOW LEOPARD" (?)

The damn thing is SLOW as mollasess. I just cannot grasp how a computer that is running on an INTEL CORE 2 DUO, which is a very fast CPU, can be so sluggish! I mean it takes 30 seconds to switch from one application to another, if heaven forbid, I decide to use something as "advanced" as multitasking on it. Even switching from one window to another window in the SAME application takes at least 10 seconds! I mean what is wrong with these people??

I have a HP Pavillion Windows Vista laptop with the same CPU as the Mac on it and it runs like a rocket in spite of the fact that Vista is supposed to be "slow" in comparison to Windows XP.

I think people should really boycott this stupid company (Apple) and let evolution put it out of its misery...obviously they do not have any engineers to help them out besides the INTEL engineers that helped them switch from PowerPC to Intel, 6 years ago.

• Reply 84 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by .mac View Post

cant wait any more !! but sadly my order page shows ships by Aug 28th

My site said the same until a few minutes ago. No I havereceived notification that the shipment is on the way.
  • Reply 85 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I have a 3+ year old MBP and my partner has a 2 year old Dell laptop. Every time I suggest that his next laptop should be a Mac, he just snickers at me and says he could get 2 PC laptops for one of my MBPs. He says his Dell works great and does exactly what he wants.

Then every once in a while I'll catch him sighing heavily when he boots up the laptop and the startup sound is at full volume, even though he always turns it down....every time.

Or I'll hear him say "WTF?" when he tries to shutdown the laptop as we're rushing out of the house only to have Windows, at that exact time, decide to apply updates and "...please wait". (That happened twice in a row)

Or he'll ask me "Why does this thing keep telling me that there's an update to my Logitech Mouse when I've closed the notification box three times already?" Or the same with the Inactive Desktop icons.....

Or he informs me that the network is down because he can't get anywhere on the network...I say, "Hold on, let me check." And then I bring up Google on Safari. "Nope, network's fine" I tell him.

But really, he loves his $700 Dell laptop.

yep, been there...but you know the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water, but....sometimes you just end up hurting the horse's neck!'
  • Reply 86 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

From everything I've read 7 is really just what Vista was supposed to be rather than something worthy of a whole new name and pricing structure.

What the heck kind of comment is this? By your account then, Snow Leopard is just really what Leopard was supposed to be (even more so), rather than something worthy of a whole new name and pricing structure.
  • Reply 87 of 169
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

You don't even know the name of the version of OS X that comes before Snow Leopard, you don't say what Mac you're using and you have the nerve to tell people to boycott? you must be any of the following.

1. 13 years old.

2. Ignorant of computer hardware.

3. A total and complete dumbass.

You forgot #4:

Racist.
  • Reply 88 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Not one of these reviewers knows a damn thing about the technical advances in 10.6. They should either hire an expert or defer to sites dedicated to knowing it's technical advances.

Not a fair assessment: I just finished reading Mossberg's review. He has a whole subsection on "Underlying Technologies," and talk about GCD, OpenCL and their implications from the standpoint of a typical user.
  • Reply 89 of 169
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

What the heck kind of comment is this? By your account then, Snow Leopard is just really what Leopard was supposed to be (even more so), rather than something worthy of a whole new name and pricing structure.

There are actually more changes in Snow Leopard than Windows 7, they just aren't visual and wont become apparent until new software utilizes them. At that point however, they changes will become very apparent. Windows 7 looks like a bigger upgrade because they changed the dock... er.... taskbar. Had Apple introduced a new dock, people would consider it a much larger upgrade. Funny how something as simple as that can skew perceptions. That said, I quite enjoy the Windows 7 taskbar, and I like most of the transparency effects, although nothing matches expose yet. Document flip should just die.

Edit: I agree, the comment you were responding to wasn't needed.
  • Reply 90 of 169
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

He may even be right, but that shouldn't be taken as much of a compliment to Windows. Vista was such a... special experience... that it would have to improve mightily to catch up even with Leopard. Which it hasn't. I've got a Vista running in Boot Camp for games, so it's not like I haven't used the OS. Man, what a horrible experience. When I go over to my brother's place to place Warhammer, I try and make sure it's after his kids are asleep. There's a lot of swearing that goes on when I use Vista (like that wonderful shock you get when Vista quits your game and restarts because it just loaded an update without asking you, and now it's time to restart. SOOOO nice when you're in the middle of a pitched battle. The Mac client is notttttt quite polished, but it's getting there).

Yes, he may be right, but then again Apple isn't charging anywhere near full price either. Microsoft did a great job with Win7, then again they had to. All Apple had to do was clean out legacy code and introduce some new technology to serve as a base for 10.7 and beyond.
  • Reply 91 of 169
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

As a long-time Mac and OS X user I applaud Apple for Snow Leopard, finally a product aimed to solve all those little annoying issues such as the Keychain.

Oh, I missed the keychain change - what was that?
  • Reply 92 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Darn, shouldn't have deleted my post (#26).... didn't have a picture though.

PS: Nice pic, but the font needs fixing.
  • Reply 93 of 169
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Yes, he may be right, but then again Apple isn't charging anywhere near full price either. Microsoft did a great job with Win7, then again they had to. All Apple had to do was clean out legacy code and introduce some new technology to serve as a base for 10.7 and beyond.

I'm hoping Apple will make this a habit. One year lay the foundations, with no apps changes, to give them a reference to test the new subsystems. Then the next year blast out some great features on the solid base.
  • Reply 94 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

m$: why the ridiculous number of skus for win 7? Why is media center not better done? What the he'll happened to directv tuners for media center? And why are you charging full price for 7 when vista was such a collossal failure?

A ridiculous number of skus? Based on who's information? My last look at Microsoft's site lists Home, Professional, and Ultimate as the 3 consumer versions, with (I think) 3 additional versions specially tailored toward retailers, servers, etc. How is that anywhere near "ridiculous?" Some people here make it seem like Microsoft is offering 20 versions, which is a flat out lie. Microsoft is also charging a "high" price for Win7 because they are purely a software company. I love it how people here constantly remind others how you can't adequately compare Apple to Microsoft because one is a hardware/software company, and the other is a software company. But man, do they SURE love to compare prices! Sorry, doesn't fly. Anyone will be able to just walk in and buy the Win7 Home Retail version for $199 (Home Upgrade will be $120, or if you got the upgrade special, a mere $50). For anyone to just walk in and buy Snow Leopard, the cheapest offering is the $599 Mac Mini, which is technically a $400 difference to acquiring an operating system. Sure, you can get it for $29 greenbacks, but you 1) have to already be a Mac user, and 2) had to have been running Leopard. Both are barriers to paying "only" $29; unfortunately, the barriers are large. There are no barriers to installing Windows, because Windows can be installed on any machine, giving the right hardware, obviously.
  • Reply 95 of 169
    Mr. Svensson is clearly not a Mac fan.

I know that somewhere, there's a little boy inside of him who just can't contain his excitement over Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 96 of 169
    Quote:

Really? I'm unaware of Apple saying any of the technologies available in 10.6 were supposed to be in 10.5. I must have missed something - did they have a full 64-bit OS in 10.5, advertised it and then said screw it, it's too hard, let's just wait until later and make more money off of it?

Oh, they didn't? Well then, I guess my point stands... 7 is nothing more than what MS envisioned Vista to be - the technologies available in SL were never envisioned or advertised to be in Leopard. There's a pretty obvious difference there...
  • Reply 97 of 169
    Quote:

Sure, you can get it for $29 greenbacks, but you 1) have to already be a Mac user, and 2) had to have been running Leopard.

Actually, if you read the article you'd know you don't have to be running leopard - it installs on 10.4 machines just fine...

EDIT: And you have to already be a Windows user to have any use for a Windows update if you're going try to compare via that route
  • Reply 98 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Here's an A-hole critic who really takes the cake! http://www.pcworld.com/article/17078...windows_7.html

wow that is bad.
  • Reply 99 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conned View Post

I was unfortunate enough to have to use a defunct Apple Mac for the last couple of weeks. Before giving it to me, my friend upgraded it to the latest (crappy) Mac OS X which was the version right before "SNOW LEOPARD" (?)

The damn thing is SLOW as mollasess. I just cannot grasp how a computer that is running on an INTEL CORE 2 DUO, which is a very fast CPU, can be so sluggish! I mean it takes 30 seconds to switch from one application to another, if heaven forbid, I decide to use something as "advanced" as multitasking on it. Even switching from one window to another window in the SAME application takes at least 10 seconds! I mean what is wrong with these people??

I have a HP Pavillion Windows Vista laptop with the same CPU as the Mac on it and it runs like a rocket in spite of the fact that Vista is supposed to be "slow" in comparison to Windows XP.

I think people should really boycott this stupid company (Apple) and let evolution put it out of its misery...obviously they do not have any engineers to help them out besides the INTEL engineers that helped them switch from PowerPC to Intel, 6 years ago.

I'm not going to bother responding to your comments, as you write like a 15 year old. But I would like an explanation of your subject title: "Interesting the Thumbs Up critics are the same media jews as always". Did you really mean to say that?
  • Reply 100 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danvid36 View Post

I see three possibilities here:

1. You have some serious hardware issues going with that Mac.

2. You are a troll.

3. You are a fucking idiot.

It's probably the last two...