What is the best WYSIWYG editor out there?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Im looking for a alternative to Dreamweaver MX, it is really sluggish on my Mac and am wondering if there are any alternatives out there for people who do a lot of web design?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by OTCameron:

<strong>Im looking for a alternative to Dreamweaver MX, it is really sluggish on my Mac and am wondering if there are any alternatives out there for people who do a lot of web design?</strong><hr></blockquote>

well dreamweaver is the best, but there are faster and less feature rich, Stone Studio comes to mind
  • Reply 2 of 25
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I can vouch for <a href="http://www.stone.com"; target="_blank">Stone Studio</a>, but I can't say whether it's the best or not. It works like a layout app, so that's why I like it. Feel free to try it, it has a 30 day full-use trial license.

A lot of people swear by <a href="http://www.softpress.com"; target="_blank">Freeway</a> too. Look like a good app at least.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    well DW is the best but he seems not to like it so StoneStudio is perhaps my second favorite, i remember StoneStudio, Freeway and there was anotherone i can't think of i used to have
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I am pretty much a DW or hand coder myself, but I am also curious about apps that are powerful AND good at not rewriting code. (Especially if one day my beloved is going to be <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002011"; target="_blank">enslaved</a> by Microsoft). That is one of the beautiful things about DW - if you want some crazy code, it doesn't try to think for you...
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Check out Freeway, it's easily the best WYSIWYG html generator on the planet, with the focus on design, not html. It gets rave reviews everywhere, and not without reason. Produces the cleanest code in the busness as well!!

<a href="http://www.softpress.com"; target="_blank">http://www.softpress.com</a>;
  • Reply 6 of 25
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    StoneStudio is great. Some parts of it are a bit unpolished, but it is still great.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by OTCameron:

<strong>Im looking for a alternative to Dreamweaver MX, it is really sluggish on my Mac and am wondering if there are any alternatives out there for people who do a lot of web design?</strong><hr></blockquote>

out of curiosity, what are you running it on? though dreamweaver MX is far from the most responsive apps that i use, it is still very good. it's perfroms very nicely on my G4 powermac 450 at work. on my 800 quicksilver, it flies. i also have more than half a gig of ram on each, which helps.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Stonestudio - Freeway.

Anyone use PHP (or other non-HTML) scripting in that environment? That is one of the things that makes me nervous about your average WYSIWYG. They tend to want to rewrite your HTML (and blow anything else out of the water).

That is one of the reasons I like DW so much. I can write anything I want - it won't touch it unless I want it to.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by The Pie Man:

<strong>Stonestudio - Freeway.

Anyone use PHP (or other non-HTML) scripting in that environment? That is one of the things that makes me nervous about your average WYSIWYG. They tend to want to rewrite your HTML (and blow anything else out of the water).

That is one of the reasons I like DW so much. I can write anything I want - it won't touch it unless I want it to.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i feel the same way. don't know dick about stonestudio, but one of the big reason i don't care for freeway is it doesn't give you access to the html it generates. you have some php functionality via php modules, but over all it's pretty weak in that area.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think Create can do this, but I haven't done anything like this myself. If I were you, I might first search stone.com, and maybe write Andrew Stone and ask. Here are a couple of shots that make me think it can:

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/jdabrowski/.Pictures/Screenshots/Create_Web_1.jpg"; target="_blank">linky one</a>

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/jdabrowski/.Pictures/Screenshots/Create_Web_2.jpg"; target="_blank">linky two</a>

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/jdabrowski/.Pictures/Screenshots/Create_Web_3.jpg"; target="_blank">linky three</a>

[ 01-18-2003: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by running with scissors:

<strong>

i feel the same way. don't know dick about stonestudio, but one of the big reason i don't care for freeway is it doesn't give you access to the html it generates. you have some php functionality via php modules, but over all it's pretty weak in that area.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not true at all! This is available for Freeway;

Source Code Snooper

Snoop into the code that Freeway and other actions generate and, if you want to, change it!

Combine this with it's outstanding WYSIWYG tools and you've got a program that can't be beat!!
  • Reply 12 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by macanoid?:

<strong>Not true at all! This is available for Freeway</strong><hr></blockquote>

Any WYSIWYG worth anything will allow you to get in there and get your hands dirty. I am not planning on switching any time soon, but DW keeps getting bigger and bigger - I really only use a fraction of what it does. I was really excited about them rolling Ultradev functionality into the main DW branch, but after screwing with it initially I just didn't like the control I had over the PHP it wrote. I haven't used any built in PHP functions since.

Do these products allow you to build using the newest standards (XHTML)? And how well does the code stand up if you are building using new-school layers instead of old-school tables? I haven't gotten totally up to speed on the newest standards, but that is really important to me for my future projects (I am going to start trying to go current standards only as much as possible from here on out.)
  • Reply 13 of 25
    I code in PHP and use DW. The only problem is if you have a huge file with lots of code it takes FOR EVER to scroll...
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Adobe GoLive. I've been using it for years - and yeah, in version 3 and 4, the code was flaky. However with version 6 it's very good at creating standard code, etc.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    I actually gave up on GoLive when it was GoLive Cyberstudio. The process was so opposite of the way my brain conceived of creating a web page - I decided it was a lot easier to write them by hand. I have no idea what it is like today - most people choose a camp and stick pretty close to home...

It is hard to make a move when you have a tool which works for you - who has the time - unless of course something <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001499"; target="_blank">drastic</a> happens.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Back in high school (1997, 98), the instructor told us to download CyberStudio (now GoLive) and do some simply task. CyberStudio was good at that time, then I bought a couple WYSIWYG editors, Adobe PageMill and ClarisHomepage v3. Now in the OS X boat, I bought the Macromedia Studio MX, which includes DW and the edu. license is cheaper that Adobe offers too. I'm on an iMac 333 w/256MB RAM. DW is slow and I don't like the interface and seens buggy to me. Second, DW is all new to me. Now, I'm also looking for either spending $100 for GoLive/LiveMotion pack or their WebCollection(PS7, AI 10, GoLive 6, and Acrobat 5) bundle for $399. I'm pretty familiar with the GoLive GUI (was a version 5 user) and very happy about it.

During the MacWorld, I tried Freeway at the booth; it was okay but looking for more mainstream commerical editior. I'm planning to work on some php, CSS, Flash, DHTML stuff.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Kenneth:

<strong> I'm on an iMac 333 w/256MB RAM. DW is slow and I don't like the interface and seens buggy to me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I use DW and Fireworks on a 350 B/W G3 for half of the week. You are right - It is extremely slow - Fireworks is vitually unusable.

Your comment on the interface is a good point too. Many people are familiar with the Adobe interfaces - I would imagine over the years they have had GoLive they have pulled it into their style.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    i never liked golive fson, not sure why, just didn't click for me.

the main difference between alot of these are this...DreamWeaver is professional grade, its what professionals use (when not coding by hand), it goes hand in hand with fireworks and flash...also cold fusion.

the other are good and DW was midly slow on my G3 400MHz with 384mb ram, but it was definatly usable. ran kinda like PS does on it, but i expect professional grade stuff not to run perfect on a 4yr old machine.

want to know the biggest piece of junk WYSIWYG editor?

its called FRONTPAGE!
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Grew up on BBEdit and slowing moving to DW. It is SLOW opening files (Dual 1gig/1gig Ram). I mean, it takes 10 seconds or more sometimes. It wasn't this slow in 9.0.

Just now tried the 6.1 upgrade and it seems to open up files much quicker. Maybe they fixed some problems!

One note is that a lot of people are using DW so if future site maintenance is an issue, at least you'll be more compatible with them. DW is still a little wiggy at times (it does try to fix some code that it shouldn't). I haven't tried GoLive in ages - probably ought to. Now if I could get some jackasses out there to quit using FrontPage I'd be a happy man!

Chas
  • Reply 20 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Macmedia:

<strong>Grew up on BBEdit and slowing moving to DW. It is SLOW opening files (Dual 1gig/1gig Ram). I mean, it takes 10 seconds or more sometimes. It wasn't this slow in 9.0.

Just now tried the 6.1 upgrade and it seems to open up files much quicker. Maybe they fixed some problems!

One note is that a lot of people are using DW so if future site maintenance is an issue, at least you'll be more compatible with them. DW is still a little wiggy at times (it does try to fix some code that it shouldn't). I haven't tried GoLive in ages - probably ought to. Now if I could get some jackasses out there to quit using FrontPage I'd be a happy man!

Chas</strong><hr></blockquote>

they try to make us use it as school for our webpage class, i made the an IT member come down and install the demo of dreamweaver for me...once it expired i don't do anything anymore

...fron't page is just...well its just plain and down right horrible