Snow Leopard not recognizing all the RAM?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Recently, after installing Snow Leopard, Build 10A432, I noticed that Activity Monitor was showing just 1.75GB of RAM under the pie chart. Since then I tried reinstalling Snow Leopard, with the same result and finally reinstalled Leopard, to find that now the whole 2GB was marked. This led me to believe that the problem was not with my Hardware but with SL (if it is indeed a problem).

I do understand that it is possible that 10A432 is not the final version, and in fact I'm currently using Leopard instead but I want to check if other people are experiencing this ..

So, to all of you using Snow Leopard, especially those with a UMBP - can you please post the following : Go to Activity Monitor and post the number listed below the pie chart. Here, in Leopard the number is 2.0GB but SL shows 1.75GB, and the "wired RAM" usage increases by 256MB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    mine shows 3 gb as it should on 10A432. sorry
  • Reply 2 of 3
    What graphics card are you using on you uMBP?

I know on mine, 512 MB is always taken up by the 9600 GT, Maybe it shows this in SL?

(Coming from someone not running SL, Until tomorrow!)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 15inchbrich View Post

I know on mine, 512 MB is always taken up by the 9600 GT, Maybe it shows this in SL?

Why? The 9600 GT has dedicated VRAM.

The 9400 M borrows from system RAM and should use 256 MB.