Review roundup: Snow Leopard sports subtle improvements

Comments

• Reply 121 of 169
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldpizza View Post

Is every name from the big cat family now used up?

OSX Big Pussycat..?
  • Reply 122 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7600/132 View Post

Personally, I hope they use Lion for 10.9, save the best for last, right. Maybe use the tag line "It's good to be king.")

Brilliant, I love that tag line!
  • Reply 123 of 169
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickwalker View Post

See the article for what it was. A ploy to drive traffic to the site. Would you have followed the link if it wasn't so biased against Apple?

PCWorld may appear stupid, but they got more people to that page than normal. Who goes to PCWorld anyway???

I think I recall PCWorld having some pretty favorable reviews of Macs, especially since the switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 124 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Correct.

I also laughed my ass off when I read that "SL is not a major improvement like Windows 7 is".

This statement is misleading in two ways:

1. Saying that Windows 7 is an improvement over Vista is like saying that a car is an improvement over a car with no wheels or an engine. One works, the other doesn't. It doesn't mean the car that runs from point A to B is any good.

2. And it actually isn't. All I know about Windows 7 leads me to believe it is XP with eye candy.

Keep living in your little world
  • Reply 125 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Because your wife is the only person in the world who hasn't had any problems with Vista.

That is, in your little dream world

There, fixed.
  • Reply 126 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Keep living in your little world

To ne more accurate with that analogy, Vista pre-SP1 was a very heavy, clunky car with a lot of weighty features and a lot of mechanical problems. The mechanical problems were fixed with SP1 so that it's now a good version of Windows if you have a powerful enough engine for all those hefty features. Win7 on the other hand is mainly Vista SP1's engine with very few tweaks, but with a lot of the weighter features taken of the chassis so it has the appearance of being faster.
  • Reply 127 of 169
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Mac OSX 10.7 Hello Kitty
  • Reply 128 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

He may even be right, but that shouldn't be taken as much of a compliment to Windows. Vista was such a... special experience... that it would have to improve mightily to catch up even with Leopard. Which it hasn't. I've got a Vista running in Boot Camp for games, so it's not like I haven't used the OS. Man, what a horrible experience. When I go over to my brother's place to place Warhammer, I try and make sure it's after his kids are asleep. There's a lot of swearing that goes on when I use Vista (like that wonderful shock you get when Vista quits your game and restarts because it just loaded an update without asking you, and now it's time to restart. SOOOO nice when you're in the middle of a pitched battle. The Mac client is notttttt quite polished, but it's getting there).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! he is Sooooo Soooo wrong i want to go to the AP and throw $hit in his face to match all the other parts of his body which is Ooosing Micro$hit from every orifice on this A-hole- that he can't smell the roses -- how much is Micro$hit paying this guy??!? is he for real???

Windoze 98, 2000, XP, Me, VISTA crap has NEVER EVER caught up to Apple's great OS experience and they never will and when Windoze 7 comes out with all the BUGGY CRAP they always produce I want Mr. Peter Svensson to shove it up his A$$... so keep eating that Micro$hit Mr. Peter Svensson
  • Reply 129 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! he is Sooooo Soooo wrong i want to go to the AP and throw $hit in his face to match all the other parts of his body which is Ooosing Micro$hit from every orifice on this A-hole- that he can't smell the roses -- how much is Micro$hit paying this guy??!? is he for real???

Windoze 98, 2000, XP, Me, VISTA crap has NEVER EVER caught up to Apple's great OS experience and they never will and when Windoze 7 comes out with all the BUGGY CRAP they always produce I want Mr. Peter Svensson to shove it up his A$$... so keep eating that Micro$hit Mr. Peter Svensson

Like The Donger always say, It is good for girl to meet boy in park, but better for boy to park meat in girl.

No more time for you. Donger need food!
  • Reply 130 of 169
    I'll be picking up SL tomorrow at the Apple Store in Fresno, but honestly, I'm not expecting much.

It will be nice and all, that Finder is re-written and faster, speed improvements to networking, QT, some under-the-hood, etc, but I already have Safari 4 big whoop, and many of the major improvements in SL will not be in it for me, as while I have an Intel Mac, I don't have a brand new Intel Mac (I have the Mini with the GMA 950).

If it wasn't $29, I would say screw it, and stick with Leopard. But for $29, I have nothing really to lose, and speedups and less beachballing can't hurt. Maybe by the time 10.7 rolls around, I'll get a new Mac, and be floored, but this does seem like more of a lateral update, depending on what Mac SL is being installed on.
  • Reply 131 of 169
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "Benefits for blind users: one new feature turns the trackpad into a "touchable map of the screen,"

Anyone else see foreshadowing of the fabled iTablet?
  • Reply 132 of 169
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Associated Press' Peter Svensson:

Snow Leopard not as big of an improvement as Windows 7.

That sentence is such a huge lie it makes my skin crawl.

What planet is he living on? Like comparing a 2010 Mercedes Benz to a 1995 Yugo clunker as if the Yugo is way better.
    Quote:

"Part of the reason Snow Leopard can promise faster, better applications is that it's designed for Macs with Intel chips, which Apple started using in early 2006. It won't run on older Macs with the previous PowerPC family of chips. The launch of the new operating system is a hint to get a new computer."

Leopard has been running on most of those older Macs for 2 years already which is great for them considering how their hardware is more than 4 years old. Plus their hardware architecture is not modern 64-bit. It's like he fails to recognize computing technology evolution.
    Quote:

"Snow Leopard's benefits will be most apparent down the road, while Windows 7 promises more of an immediate payoff."

LOL. Snow Leopard's benefits will be IMMEDIATELY apparent - FASTER - and get even more apparent every day of the road less traveled. Duh.
    Quote:

The new OS is "unlikely" to provide most buyers a reason to get excited about Macs.

I see he can read minds. If anything, Snow Leopard gives consumers even that much more of a reason to want to buy a Mac over a Windows 7 PC still mired in a foundation of DOS.
    Quote:

With minor bugs and installation problems inevitable, it's probably best to wait a month before making the upgrade.

All the reports we've been getting from developers with the final version indicate there are few bugs and even fewer installation problems. There's no reason to delay immediate early adoption. I can't think of any. Can anyone here?

Peter Svensson is an irresponsible Microsoft Troll.

My copy arrives tomorrow morning FedEx Overnight Standard. So Stoked.
  • Reply 133 of 169
    These AP & USA Today idiots must have never actually used win7. I installed the 64bit version on my winbox (losebox, whatever) and it is slower than molasses in a Siberian winter, plus it takes forever to load. XP is much faster (I have Athlon 2.7 core2duo, maybe I need two or three 6ghz quad cores).

All it is, is eye candy and it's nasty surgary, sickly candy at that. So far I cannot find a good reason to keep it on there to be honest, except my XP install is corrupted by some crappy HD software I installed on it - so I don't want to roll back to that. I never used Vista because everyone said it sucks, so I don't know how big an improvement win7 could be over that. But if they are going to "unleash" win7, watch out, don't blink or you will miss the tortoise race. 123...... pfffft...... where did it go? oh it's not out of the gate yet.....duh.

I'm still running Tiger on my early intel MBP and it gets along just fine. I'll upgrade to SL after you all are done testing it..... if it is all that and the dog's biscuit, then the $229 family pack may be the way I will go so my brother can have it too.
  • Reply 134 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

I'm still running Tiger on my early intel MBP and it gets along just fine. I'll upgrade to SL after you all are done testing it..... if it is all that and the dog's biscuit, then the $229 family pack may be the way I will go so my brother can have it too.

Apple admitted today that the $29 - $25 on Amazon - Snow Leopard DVD will let you install it on any Intel Mac even if it's just got Tiger on it or it's just a blank HD. So you don't need to wait. And you don't need to pay all that extra money for the expensive paks.
  • Reply 135 of 169
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Please forgive me if this is covered elsewhere. I have just upgraded a MacBook Pro 5,3 - 3.06 GHz, 4 GB RAM (July 2009) and the system profiler shows that it is not running a 64 bit kernel or extensions. Performed an installation over the top of 10.5.7 without setting any options. Is this result to be expected?

Regards.

Edit - so this is to be expected
  • Reply 136 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Please forgive me if this is covered elsewhere. I have just upgraded a MacBook Pro 5,3 - 3.06 GHz, 4 GB RAM (July 2009) and the system profiler shows that it is not running a 64 bit kernel or extensions. Performed an installation over the top of 10.5.7 without setting any options. Is this result to be expected?

Regards

Absolutely. If you want a 64-bit kernel then go for it. Do some comparitive testing to see startups and app launching speeds.
  • Reply 137 of 169
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    While everyone here knows iam pro apple but call it like it is, said prices would drop, slower glu in snow, and more, even I am taken aback by the windows comments. Why are theses reviewers mentioing windows?

NE way I have a problem. If i have logic 8 and rapid weaver installed on a partition 10.5.7 and do a migration from that to a disk that's 10.5.8 with logic 9 and NO rapid weaver. What happens? Will osx leave logic 9 alone, copy both, what Bout my iPhoto library, which I will back up but would prefer that any duplicates, it just skips.

Advice needed.

Thanks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

To make a fairer comparison, Snow Leopard is your healthy diet that means less problems when you get old, while Windows 7 is removing the stick that is Vista from your .... .

I like how most reviewers seem disappointed with "lack" of features. Apparently eye candy is the only thing worth paying for in their eyes still. I for one am incredibly excited for Snow Leopard, 64bit processors have been around for years now, and now there's finally a mainstream OS (sorry linux) that will get programmers to code for it.

• Reply 138 of 169
    lugesmlugesm Posts: 12member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

The Associated Press' Peter Svensson:

Snow Leopard not as big of an improvement as Windows 7.

No brainer ! ! !

VISTA desperately needed "big" improvements.
  • Reply 139 of 169
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Regards.

Edit - so this is to be expected

Yes, 10.6 installs both the 32-bit and, where possible, 64-bit kernels. By default, everything but the X-serve boot the 32-bit kernel. Hold down the 6 and 4 keys while booting to boot with the 64-bit kernel.

My guess is that 10.7 will also include both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels, but will boot the 64-bit kernel by default on all systems that are 64-bit clean. I expect 10.8 to drop the 32-bit kernels altogether and run only on systems that are 64-bit clean.
  • Reply 140 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Yes, 10.6 installs both the 32-bit and, where possible, 64-bit kernels. By default, everything but the X-serve boot the 32-bit kernel. Hold down the 6 and 4 keys while booting to boot with the 64-bit kernel.

This is the first I've learned of this boot option. Will this way of booting speed up the system on pure 64-bit hardware? I'm on early 2008 Harpertown Penryn Mac Pros and 45 nm Penryn C2D MacBook & MacBook Pro which I believe are all true 64-bit models. Will this way of booting make some programs not work that do work when booting from the 32-bit kernel?

How are you a Mac user since August 1983 when Macs didn't come to market until January 1984 when I started being a Mac user? Were you on the Mac development team at Apple?