Copying URLs into MacMail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
There are times when I drag and drop or copy an article into a MacMail message to be forwarded. If there are URLs in the article, they are not copied as such. I can go to Mail edit and use "add hyperlink" for each - one at a time, but if there are quite a few URLs, this process becomes an onerous task.

Does anyone know how to copy an article (or whatever) and have the URLs copy as such?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Well, I received zero replies to my question, soooo I'll ask another one about something that MAY or may not exist.

When the cursor is made to hover over a URL in the address bar and the mouse is right-clicked, the menu contains a command: Make link. Is there ANY app that would do this for ANY unlit URL, especially one that would light up a URL in a MacMail outgoing or forwarded message?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I'll give it a try, but a few questions first:

1) MacMail? Are you talking about the Mail.app on a Mac? Or is MacMail something else?

2) "When the cursor is made to hover over a URL in the address bar and the mouse is right-clicked, the menu contains a command: Make link." Are you talking about doing this in Safari? Because I don't get that right-button command.

3) Is your end result to have the URLs copied as hyperlinks rather than just the URL text?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I'll give it a try, but a few questions first:

1) MacMail? Are you talking about the Mail.app on a Mac? Or is MacMail something else?

2) "When the cursor is made to hover over a URL in the address bar and the mouse is right-clicked, the menu contains a command: Make link." Are you talking about doing this in Safari? Because I don't get that right-button command.

3) Is your end result to have the URLs copied as hyperlinks rather than just the URL text?

1 Mail.app on a Mac.

2. Yes, in Safari. You're right. That command doesn't seem to pop-up in other apps. That's what I'm looking for in a (possible) stand-alone app.

3. I'd like the URL copied as a hyperlink.

I'd also like that command to work in any site(?) or app or article or... I also believe in the Easter Bunny and the Great Pumpkin.

Thanks for your time - and help.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    In Mail preferences, go to the Composing tab. Do you have Rich Text selected for the Message Format? I was able to drag and drop an AI article which contained links into a Mail message and the two hyperlinks were copied.

Do you have an example web page you can show me that you can't copy correctly?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

In Mail preferences, go to the Composing tab. Do you have Rich Text selected for the Message Format? I was able to drag and drop an AI article which contained links into a Mail message and the two hyperlinks were copied.

Do you have an example web page you can show me that you can't copy correctly?

Thanks, JupiterOne. Changing to Rich Text worked and a page can be dragged to Mail and remain in hyperlink.

However, I find that copying or drag and dropping a URL from the address window to Mail ends up with the address in text, not a hyperlink.

Oddly, dragging a URL into TextEdit does bring the hyperlink.

Thanks again.