New Apple tablet rumor: Larger form factor running Mac OS X

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Citing a "100 percent reliable" source, a new report alleges that Apple has fully working prototypes of 13-inch and 15-inch touchscreen tablets, with one model running Mac OS X.

The rumor reported Friday by Gizmodo states that the two new devices could be in addition to the long-rumored 10-inch device believed to be coming in early 2010.

"This source claims that the two touchscreen prototypes -- made of aluminum, but on the shape of big iPhones -- were in a factory in Shenzuen, China," the report states. "One of them 'was running Mac OS X 10.5.' When I asked, the source didn't know if these were built for demonstration purposes, or if they were preproduction units. The company has a tight relation with Apple but 'it's not FoxConn.'"

Writer Jesus Diaz goes on to call the rumor "surprising," given that most sources, including AppleInsider's own, have stated that the only forthcoming hardware has a 10-inch screen. The report speculates that perhaps Apple is exploring other form factors as internal prototypes, whether or not they will become final products released to market.

Given a report earlier this month that Apple investigated screen sizes of 4, 7, 9, 10 and 12 inches, these reports, if true, suggest that Apple has explored touchscreen devices at nearly every possible screen sizes. In the earlier report from a financial analyst, it was stated that Apple purchased large numbers of some screen sizes, suggesting they could have been for more than prototypes, but a more significant small production run.

As for the latest rumor, AppleInsider sources have been adamant that the 3G connected device due to arrive in early 2010 would come only with a 10-inch form factor.

Earlier this week, a new report stated that the upcoming tablet launch is the No. 1 priority of company co-founder Steve Jobs. AppleInsider's own sources have said that Jobs reset development of the device numerous times over the years, striving to create hardware that meets his own high standards. In fact, at times Jobs even had doubts that the product would even see the light of day. However, the device now seems set for its 2010 debut.

Gizmodo also reported weeks ago a rumor that the tablet would have a 10-inch screen and come in come in two versions: one for educational use, and one with a Web cam. That report said the operating system that the tablet would run is a "huge secret."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 163
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That report said the operating system that the tablet would run is a "huge secret."

My money's on OSX.

As someone wrote a while back, Snow Leopard has technologies that will make a tablet much nicer to use. Expose in the dock, for example. Smaller size, for example.
  • Reply 2 of 163
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Or it's just a proof of concept that could be six months away or six years away from being a real product, or never at all.

I can understand a 6 - 10 inch tablet, it's holdable, transportable, and usable. Any bigger and it starts to be a bit unwieldy, it needs to be rested in a stand, or placed flat on a surface. It's turned into a different class of device.
  • Reply 3 of 163
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Why would Apple go to all the trouble of creating a whole new OS for the tablet when it's already got OS X? It doesn't make any sense.
  • Reply 4 of 163
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

My money's on OSX.

As someone wrote a while back, Snow Leopard has technologies that will make a tablet much nicer to use. Expose in the dock, for example. Smaller size, for example.

The third party programs still wont be nice to use on a tablet though. For a consumer device, which is what a sub $1000 tablet would most likely be, I think a variant of iPhone OS would work best. However, a 13" or 15" tablet would not be a consumer device, and it would not have a sub $1000 price. I don't know what to make of this rumor. Isn't it coming from the same guy that said someone called him with details on the tablet, yet provided no additional information except for a codename he won't reveal?

Snow Leopard does have some touch friendly features like large icons with in icon previews and the expose feature you mentioned. I am very skeptical of this report though.
  • Reply 5 of 163
    Well there goes their 1 chance at getting something in the sub 1k range. If it's a 13" or 15" tablet there's no way they are going to price it low enough to encourage buying. Unless of course Apple does the unthinkable and prices it low... (which I would whole heartedly be in favor of)

However, there is 1 thing that I would want on an apple tablet that I would keep me on the sidelines (other than the obvious USBs, DVD, etc) I want the ability to run my iPhone apps on it I would absolutely love that and I'm sure both Apple and the developers would love that as well
  • Reply 6 of 163
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    6th

• Reply 7 of 163
    First of all, they aren't reliable if they think Shenzhen is spelled Shenzuan.

Secondly, no human source is 100% reliable.
  • Reply 8 of 163
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    13 or 15" screens would be for future MacBook Pros, like how the MacBook Pro would evolve into a sort-of convertible.

The 10" one however would be pure tablet. Mac OS X? Shocking!
  • Reply 9 of 163
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    These "reports" are getting more and more bizarre

And less and less credible.

C.
  • Reply 10 of 163
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

My money's on OSX.

My money's on OS-Y. Of course they're not going to call it that, and it will borrow heavily from OSX, but every 10 years or so every company tries to re-invent their OS and the Mac's time has about come due. My guess is that Apple will demonstrate a device in the early spring to ship during summer, then devote next year's WWDC to it in June, then ship the device by July.

I'm just guessing, of course. But why would Apple release a fundamentally new platform with no third-party developer conference about it first? I would have thought they'd have learned their lesson with the iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 163
    My thesis all along has been that Snow Leopard is the pivot OS between the iPhoneOS and MacOS, branches, and whether that means the ability to run Mac Apps unmodified, recompiled or some new form of new hybrid runtime model, it just makes sense that the Tablet is where Apple confronts the matrix between all of these different form factors, something that I blogged about in:

Apple, the ?Boomer? Tablet and the Matrix

http://bit.ly/46CtH

Check it out if interested.

Mark
  • Reply 12 of 163
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Well there goes their 1 chance at getting something in the sub 1k range. If it's a 13" or 15" tablet there's no way they are going to price it low enough to encourage buying. Unless of course Apple does the unthinkable and prices it low... (which I would whole heartedly be in favor of)

However, there is 1 thing that I would want on an apple tablet that I would keep me on the sidelines (other than the obvious USBs, DVD, etc) I want the ability to run my iPhone apps on it I would absolutely love that and I'm sure both Apple and the developers would love that as well

with the itunes store turning in higher and higher profits, they might switch to the razor blade model
  • Reply 13 of 163
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Secondly, no human source is 100% reliable.

What if El Jobso himself told you?
  • Reply 14 of 163
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    All I gotta say is that if Steve doesn't open the Keynote intro of these new tablets with a comprehensive rundown of each and every memorable tablet rumor going back as far as they can, it would be a crying shame.

Could you imagine, all the faked photoshop photos, all of the doctored videos (as I examine the iWalk sitting on my desk) all the 'I'm making the plastics now' references.

Tell me that wouldn't be a great lead in with Steve on the stage...

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 163
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

These "reports" are getting more and more bizarre

And less and less credible.

C.

Yes, but not less interesting!
  • Reply 16 of 163
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

What if El Jobso himself told you?

Especially if he told you. Like I say, watch what Apple does not what they say.
  • Reply 17 of 163
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

My money's on OS-Y. Of course they're not going to call it that, and it will borrow heavily from OSX, but every 10 years or so every company tries to re-invent their OS and the Mac's time has about come due. My guess is that Apple will demonstrate a device in the early spring to ship during summer, then devote next year's WWDC to it in June, then ship the device by July.

I don't agree. OSX has nothing but positive connotations at this point. And it is relatively well known. I don't see Apple moving away from the name any time soon... Besides, I thought the whole point of Snow Leopard was to renovate the insides of OSX (metaphorically speaking) so why move away from it now?

Quote:

I'm just guessing, of course. But why would Apple release a fundamentally new platform with no third-party developer conference about it first? I would have thought they'd have learned their lesson with the iPhone.

Yeah, the iPhone has been such a disaster...
  • Reply 18 of 163
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I'll say it again: To be unveiled 9/09 by SJ and available 1/10. Announced then released just like the iPhone and AppleTV. Start the hype machine early.
  • Reply 19 of 163
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    This photograph was taken by an extremely reliable source!

It looks just like a giant-iPhone!!

And yet it is running Mac OS X!!!!!

C.
  • Reply 20 of 163
    Is this Apple Tablet rumor mill really starting to get out of control? I mean come on! Why not have someone leak that two weeks ago in a remote production facility in Cambodia a 95% reliable resource spotted 13.5 Inch screen iPhone like touch screen devices coming off an assembly line?

geesh...