10.6 Finder - Usage Reports

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Now that Snow Leopard has been officially released, let's hear some usage reports on the long-awaited Cocoa-based finder..

While responsiveness to user interaction is greatly improved, there are frequent instances when the finder hangs completely for 5 to 30 seconds.

When dragging items into folders contained in the finder sidebar, I've occasionally experienced extreme lag followed by redraw problems. Sidebar items are drawn or partially-drawn in random locations in the window. This seems limited to the finder window in question and can be fixed by closing and reopening the window.

When copying files to a remote AFP share, the finder frequently locks up completely. When relaunched, quit, or force-quit, the finder successfully terminates but then refuses to relaunch. The only solution at that point is a reboot. This lockup corresponds to the AFP share becoming inaccessible in other programs as well. Other computers, ones running 10.5, are still able to access the share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Now that Snow Leopard has been officially released, let's hear some usage reports on the long-awaited Cocoa-based finder..

While responsiveness to user interaction is greatly improved, there are frequent instances when the finder hangs completely for 5 to 30 seconds.

When dragging items into folders contained in the finder sidebar, I've occasionally experienced extreme lag followed by redraw problems. Sidebar items are drawn or partially-drawn in random locations in the window. This seems limited to the finder window in question and can be fixed by closing and reopening the window.

When copying files to a remote AFP share, the finder frequently locks up completely. When relaunched, quit, or force-quit, the finder successfully terminates but then refuses to relaunch. The only solution at that point is a reboot. This lockup corresponds to the AFP share becoming inaccessible in other programs as well. Other computers, ones running 10.5, are still able to access the share.

If you can reproduce these bugs, register an online ADC membership (free) at developer.apple.com, then report the bugs in Apple's bug reporter. (Read the bug reporter guide first)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Thanks for the link. I've been submitting feedback for years and actually tried to report the bug last night. I can successfully log into bugreport.apple.com but then immediately receive an error... I'm still waiting on a response to my bugreport.apple.com bug report.

Despite me kicking off this thread with a somewhat negative report, feel free to post good results here as well. I'm not so much interested in deciding whether the new finder is good or bad, but rather just hearing about what people are experiencing with the new version.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Things are a little rough around the edges but in comparison to Leopard, it is a damn site more stable. I'd say that by 10.6.1 or 10.6.2, there will probably be a couple of decent size combo updates and things will be smooth. It has been a massive transition; iTunes will move to Cocoa along with other products, so things will take time.

Like I said, when compared to Leopard at x.0 stage, Snow Leopard is pretty good so far.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

Like I said, when compared to Leopard at x.0 stage, Snow Leopard is pretty good so far.

upgraded at 11 am, this thing is really fast, no problems with apps this far and the finder has been problem free.

Quicktime x is fantastic for trailers, it seems more color accurate...am I insane? my color profile is the same as it was in leopard, but it seems like the videos have a tv-like color that makes the edges and such much sharper...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Balls! Sorry a_greer, I edited your post by mistake! I meant to reply. I don't know if there's a way to get the original back

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Quicktime x is fantastic for trailers, it seems more color accurate...am I insane? my color profile is the same as it was in leopard, but it seems like the videos have a tv-like color that makes the edges and such much sharper...

No, you're not insane. It's one of the advancements Apple claims for QuickTime X. It uses colorsync, whereas earlier versions of QT don't.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Balls! Sorry a_greer, I edited your post by mistake! I meant to reply. I don't know if there's a way to get the original back

No, you're not insane. It's one of the advancements Apple claims for QuickTime X. It uses colorsync, whereas earlier versions of QT don't.

thanks for the info, and all you deleted from my post was something like "wow, finder is really fast and slick."
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

thanks for the info, and all you deleted from my post was something like "wow, finder is really fast and slick."

Fortunately, your original post was in an e-mail notification I received (I auto-subscribe to all threads I post in with immediate e-mail notification) so I've been able to restore your post from that.