Preview: I can't combine PDF files in SL

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In preview, I use to drag multiple pdf files into the sidebar to create one combined file to email to a customer. My entire office does this on a daily basis several times per hour. In Snow Leopard, I can't get this to work. Any one else have this same problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

In preview, I use to drag multiple pdf files into the sidebar to create one combined file to email to a customer. My entire office does this on a daily basis several times per hour. In Snow Leopard, I can't get this to work. Any one else have this same problem?

If you can't get this working, you could try PDF lab (free), although I am unaware of whether it works in Snow Leopard (works fine for me in Leopard)

P.S. The plural of "mini" is "minis", and if referring to the Mac model it should be capitalised thus: "Minis".
  • Reply 2 of 65
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    What happens when you try to drag a PDF into Preview in Snow Leopard?

Can someone please confirm whether this is a Snow Leopard issue?

EDIT: Behavior changed.

http://blog.gerrior.com/?p=113
  • Reply 3 of 65
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    This totally blows and is a step backwards. Everyone at work is dreading putting together submittals.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    Quote:

This totally blows and is a step backwards. Everyone at work is dreading putting together submittals.

PDF lab doesn't work then? And you can't work out how to edit your signature?
  • Reply 5 of 65
    According to the link I added above, this still works, it's just implemented differently.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Well, I honestly like use Preview since it comes preloaded on the Mac.

I don't understand the part about my sig. I have it showing the gear I have.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Quote:

That's fair enough, but seriously, PDF lab is free and tiny so what do you have to lose by trying it out?

Quote:

I don't understand the part about my sig. I have it showing the gear I have.

Indeed, but as I said earlier in the thread, the plural of "Mini" (as in Mac Mini) is "Minis", not "mini's"
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:

That's fair enough, but seriously, PDF lab is free and tiny so what do you have to lose by trying it out?

Indeed, but as I said earlier in the thread, the plural of "Mini" (as in Mac Mini) is "Minis", not "mini's"

I have to deploy it across 20 macs and teach everyone a new workflow. So for me not a big deal and would probably like it better as I am sure it will have better page deletion work flows. But you can see where I would dread doing this 20+ times when Preview is preloaded and everyone in our office is very familiar with it.

Technically, I am down to one mini (G4) so I will change that now. ;-)
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have to deploy it across 20 macs and teach everyone a new workflow. So for me not a big deal and would probably like it better as I am sure it will have better page deletion work flows. But you can see where I would dread doing this 20+ times when Preview is preloaded and everyone in our office is very familiar with it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

According to the link I added above, this still works, it's just implemented differently.

• Reply 10 of 65
    Quote:

Gotta give more than that.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    Quote:

Gotta give more than that.

I believe that he's highlighting the fact that he did mention that Preview can still join PDFs, it's just that the method has changed (see post 3 of this thread). However, the instructions in the blog post he linked to weren't entirely clear to me, but then I don't have Snow Leopard in front of me.

It seems you have two choices:

1.) Work out how Snow Leopard Preview joins PDFs, and teach everyone that.

2.) Find out if PDF lab works in Snow Leopard, and if so, teach everyone that. It's got a fairly intuitive interface and is a bit more powerful than Preview, so may be the best long-term solution.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:

I believe that he's highlighting the fact that he did mention that Preview can still join PDFs, it's just that the method has changed (see post 3 of this thread).

Yes, thank you. Three times, in fact.

One tries to help. One really does.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Quote:

Yes, thank you. Three times, in fact.

One tries to help. One really does.

Have you tried to do what that blog said to do? I have and it doesn't work. I have showed it to several friends and neither can they.

• Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:

PDF lab will not open. Can anyone else confirm this problem with SL?
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:

PDF lab will not open

Damn!

Hope the developer updates it, because I use it fairly regularly and want to move to 10.6 soonish.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:

Have you tried to do what that blog said to do? I have and it doesn't work. I have showed it to several friends and neither can they.

I don't have Snow Leopard, otherwise I would have a look. Sorry. Perhaps a google would turn up clearer instructions.

FWIW, I stopped using PDFLab when it stopped working with Leopard, and it seemed unnecessary at that point anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Quote:

FWIW, I stopped using PDFLab when it stopped working with Leopard

Works fine for me in 10.5.8.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    Quote:

Works fine for me in 10.5.8.

Maybe it was finally updated, I don't know. All I know is the version I'd been using in Tiger stopped working when I upgraded to Leopard. I looked for a new version for awhile, but eventually gave up -- especially since I no longer needed it.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:

P.S. The plural of "mini" is "minis", and if referring to the Mac model it should be capitalised thus: "Minis".

Pray, how is that relevant to the O.P.?
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:

Try "Combine PDFs" from http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/41822.