Review roundup: Snow Leopard sports subtle improvements

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

So QT X is a work in progress?

I don?t know if they even intend to add a Preferences option. I had hoped they would, but now that I have QT7 back I?m okay without it.

One thing I wonder is if Apple really will be introducing a 64-bit version iTunes that is completely Cocoa-based in 10 days. And less likely, that it will incorporate DVD Player and/or Front Row into it, which have yet to be made 64-bit for Snow Leopard. Neither of which have gotten any love for Snow Leopard. Maybe they will also offer Blu-ray playback, too.

I hope they don?t do that as I already can?t stand iTunes for playing video.
  • Reply 162 of 169
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

thanks for the heads up...I run Parallels and it is important to my business....I will wait and check the Parallels forums for the 'All Clear' to upgrade!

If it is that important to your business, then you should probably be using VMWare Fusion instead.
  • Reply 163 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Hope everyone doesn't mind....thought this important to Parallels users!

Update: Parallels Desktop 4.0 Build 3844 is available

Dear Users,

Parallels Desktop 4.0 Build 3844 is available for download:

[snip]

Like I suggested above. You should be moving to VMWare Fusion if stability and reliability are important to you.
  • Reply 164 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

If it is that important to your business, then you should probably be using VMWare Fusion instead.

I have to agree with you here. I have used Parallels and Fusion and both have their pluses and minus. I?ll always like Parallels for being the first to market, coming out with some really cool options and really setting a fire under VMWare?s feet but Parallels just drop the ball on too many important things. Plus, I don?t like how they tend to treat their customers. This included when they have had plenty of time to get compatibility up to spec.
  • Reply 165 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

"Benefits for blind users: one new feature turns the trackpad into a "touchable map of the screen,"

Anyone else see foreshadowing of the fabled iTablet?

Actually, that was my first thought when I read that.

Good eye.
  • Reply 166 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

I have to agree with you here. I have used Parallels and Fusion and both have their pluses and minus. I’ll always like Parallels for being the first to market, coming out with some really cool options and really setting a fire under VMWare’s feet but Parallels just drop the ball on too many important things. Plus, I don’t like how they tend to treat their customers. This included when they have had plenty of time to get compatibility up to spec.

Those are the exact reasons I left Parallels in the dust shortly after purchasing it with my 2006 MBP C2D. The first thing I got hit with was that it wouldn't connect to a bridged network, which was critical for me in my day job work environment.

Their paid-for customer support consisted of one poor soul with a heavy Russian accent, grunting and mumbling through the basics for an hour, while I kept telling him "I've already completed that, please move on" over and over again.

After thirty minutes or so, I had the entire office listening in while my speaker phone was muted, roaring with laughter. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't very funny.

The very next day, I installed VMware Fusion's beta. It was still more stable than Parallels, and I haven't looked back.

BTW, it runs one heck of a lot faster in Snow Leopard!
  • Reply 167 of 169
    Snow Leopard.

Bought it on day of release. It was selling quick!

A smooth as silk (or butter if you will...) installation and even silkier to use.

A fantastic release. Shame most of the reviewers don't 'get' this substance over style release. Even so, all the little refinements, I like.

Safari was noticeably faster. And boot seemed faster too.

No complaints.

What's exciting about this release is the 'signpost' to 10.7...oh what, oh what around the corner... (Tablets...and other exciting goodies?)

Snow Leopard is the platform to change everything. Surely...the 'nexus'.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 168 of 169
    dp101dp101 Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

...this one wouldn't get the eye candy crowd so they priced is super-low. ...

My guess for the lower price is because it's a transitional OS and marks the death of PowerPC. Apple wants to move the user base to Snow Leopard fast which will help third party developers by allowing them to support one platform going forward. If users continue to run Leopard then developer costs would be higher (PowerPC/Intel) and/or users would be confused if developers only supported one Leopard platform. The faster people move to Snow Leopard the easier it will be to support as PowerPC will no longer be in the picture.
  • Reply 169 of 169
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Here's an A-hole critic who really takes the cake! http://www.pcworld.com/article/17078...windows_7.html

I love the comment about QuickTime Pro:

QuickTime Pro: Can you believe the Apple folks used to charge for this thing? I guess they saw the writing on the wall, what with Microsoft releasing yet another excellent iteration of its free Movie Maker application. Way to play that reactionary card, Apple!

Because everyone is eagerly waiting for the next MS Movie Maker....