Adobe abandons CS3 legacy support for Apple's Snow Leopard

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 191
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garethme View Post

Dude. Have you heard of Adobe CS3 Design Premium? It includes exactly those apps and no more -- except naturally of course... Bridge and Version Cue. Do us a favour and do some research before you go out and buy stuff. I apologise if somebody already replied to this explaining the same thing.

Thanks for your thoughtful comment. To clarify, as I recall, when we had to upgrade from all the solo applications, it was less expensive to upgrade from Photoshop to CS3 Design Standard and upgrade from MM Studio 8 to Web Standard. Any other upgrade option to get to Design Premium from our existing software would have cost more. This is precisely my complaint, since we owned several copies of ALL of the applications included in Master Collection yet Adobe gave us no reasonable upgrade path to CS3 - Dude!
  • Reply 182 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

If you're really a professional, and you've got a workstation (or several), then there's no reason your business is going to have to shut down because you can't upgrade to Snow Leopard. If you aren't on CS4 yet then you aren't concerned about being on the bleeding edge so there's NO reason for you to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Your business is functioning just as well today as it was last week. Get over it.

It has more to do with Adobe's history of rarely releasing bug fixes and charging high fees to get those bug fixes in the next big "upgrade" which introduce more bugs that won't get fixed until the next "upgrade."
  • Reply 183 of 191
    That's a shame Apple treats it's followers like that... Hell, I just updated to Windows 7 and CS3 works just fine, so does CS4... actually, every previous version of PhotoShop works on W7. Hmmmmm
  • Reply 184 of 191
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crankenstein View Post

That's a shame Apple treats it's [sic] followers like that... Hell, I just updated to Windows 7 and CS3 works just fine, so does CS4... actually, every previous version of PhotoShop works on W7. Hmmmmm

It's Adobe who make Photoshop, not Apple.
  • Reply 185 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw View Post

I don't know of any company that charges for bug fixes, but then most stop fixing bugs caused by OS upgrades at a certain point; this seems like a fair businesses model to me, but others feel that Adobe should go on fixing bugs caused by their choice to upgrade to new OSs, then when questioned whether that's really Adobe' responsibility the point is made that it's not really a new OS, just a little upgrade, which people don't have a problem paying Apple for, so why should people not expect to pay for an upgraded Adobe product? Especially a previous generation product update.

I love free stuff; but I can't get my head around how some people expect free stuff, and then bleat when they don't get it!?

I think the MAIN point here is that Adobe Photoshop has really matured ? I mean who are we kidding about this? How many times can you add layers for the first time... The differences between Photoshop cs3 and 4 are really insignificant to most users. These new minimal upgrades should really be treated like cs3.1, cs 3.2 etc. Someone buying in and owning this fully functioning fantastic piece of software such as version cs 3 should have support beyond a year for OS upgrades. In all fairness, most people should not have to pay so much for such minimal upgrades to stay fresh.

But alas the adobe business model is not such. Yes, I am disgruntled by them. This year I tried to get someone on the phone to help with a broken serial code issue ? in talking to 15 people all around the globe, including tech support at the mothership in San Jose ? the most hilarious response I was given in three instances was "you could upgrade to cs4". This expressed a lot to me about how the company functions in certain aspects.
  • Reply 186 of 191
    denden Posts: 2member
    Well, it sucks. I agree, it was sold up until late last year...that's when I bought it (and from what I've read on some other boards, so have many others).

A release for this wouldn't be too out of the question. Normally, I'd not pay for a fix, but since I've sunk a decent amount of change on two copies of the Creative Suite - I'd pay for an update rather than a new copy, upgrade or not.

Not that I think Adobe is listening, nor really gives two poops, but I'd be willing to pay $50 bucks for the fix.

I am planning on upgrading to CS4, but not for another 6 months or so. My whole reason for wanting to upgrade to 10.6, is so the programs will have the memory recognition I want.

16GB of ram, and it can only recognize 4? sad.
  • Reply 187 of 191
    Fuck off Adobe. Your products suck ever since CS2. This is their bullshit way to screw people out of money. Photoshop CS (8.0) runs just fine under Snow Leopard, even under Rosetta emulation. I am not a hard core Photoshop user, so I don't need blazing fast speed.

Just because Adobe didn't test it, doesn't mean it won't run. CS3 probably runs just fine under Snow Leopard, since it ran just fine under Leopard...except for that Version Cue crap.
  • Reply 188 of 191
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crankenstein View Post

That's a shame Apple treats it's followers like that... Hell, I just updated to Windows 7 and CS3 works just fine, so does CS4... actually, every previous version of PhotoShop works on W7. Hmmmmm

As someone already pointed out, Apple has nothing to do with Photoshop. Photoshop CS 8, CS2, and CS3 run just fine. Previous versions of Photoshop run just fine under Tiger too.
  • Reply 189 of 191
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Has anyone at AI tested InDesign CS3 with Snow Leopard? Any important bugs?
  • Reply 190 of 191
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macornot View Post

...But alas the adobe business model is not such. Yes, I am disgruntled by them. This year I tried to get someone on the phone to help with a broken serial code issue ? in talking to 15 people all around the globe, including tech support at the mothership in San Jose ? the most hilarious response I was given in three instances was "you could upgrade to cs4". This expressed a lot to me about how the company functions in certain aspects.

This is a perfectly valid complaint I'm sure, but not one that is solely specific to Adobe; I've been 'screwed' far worse by Apple's piss-poor support of it's products over the past few years.
  • Reply 191 of 191
    I'm new here, but just found a solution to keeping Photoshop CS3 running in Snow Leopard. It was crashing every time that I opened a png file, amongst other random crashes. I removed the 'PNG.plugin' from my Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Asset Services CS3/Plug-Ins folder and I've been running all afternoon with no problems yet. Not a single crash. It may be too early to tell for sure, but it's running now and that's what counts for me.

Just thought I'd share in case this might help someone...