Do I still have QuickTime Pro after SL update?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm a bit confused. My QuickTime Player has the new SL look, but I don't see any mention of Pro or Registration. In reading elsewhere, I'm getting the impression that another app (QuickTime?) might need to be installed.

- Do I still have QT Pro?

- How can I verify?

- Do I need to DL something else?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    After creating this post, I found the answer to my questions. Incase anyone else is thrown off by this, here is how QuickTime Pro is handled.

- If you had QTPro installed prior to SL, both the QT X and QT 7 players are installed.

- The confusing thing is that SL replaces your existing QuickTime (Pro) in the app folder. Then, an SL compatible QT 7 player is installed in the Utilities folder.

- The player in Utilities keeps the Pro registration

edit: I also found this on apple.com

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Seems like an inelegant and kind of crappy way to do this. Why not just include all of Quicktime 7 Pro's functionality in 10?

Sigh.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Camperton View Post

Seems like an inelegant and kind of crappy way to do this. Why not just include all of Quicktime 7 Pro's functionality in 10?

Sigh.

Exactly. It's a bit weird. Maybe eventually there'll be a QuickTime X Pro.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Exactly. It's a bit weird. Maybe eventually there'll be a QuickTime X Pro.

*OR* they could be only adding the features that don't over lap with their video editing products. Quicktime is a framework, a player just so happen to do that; if you want more than just basic play, record and clipping then you need to look at imovie/final cut etc.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

*OR* they could be only adding the features that don't over lap with their video editing products. Quicktime is a framework, a player just so happen to do that; if you want more than just basic play, record and clipping then you need to look at imovie/final cut etc.

The QuickTime "player" is actually an excellent lightweight video editor with the Pro features enabled.

iMovie and Final Cut are designed for editing DV-type codecs. QuickTime Player can edit any supported codec without transcoding it first like iMovie does. QT will also export to a wider range of formats than iMovie.

IOW, iMovie and Final Cut are in no way a replacement of the Pro features of QuickTime Player.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The QuickTime "player" is actually an excellent lightweight video editor with the Pro features enabled.

iMovie and Final Cut are designed for editing DV-type codecs. QuickTime Player can edit any supported codec without transcoding it first like iMovie does. QT will also export to a wider range of formats than iMovie.

IOW, iMovie and Final Cut are in no way a replacement of the Pro features of QuickTime Player.

Then maybe we'll see features being added in the future - after all, this is a whole new application, limited time and a focus on getting the basics robustly working before moving onto adding those features.