Apple confirms annual iPod event for September 9

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Confirming reports that an iPod-centric event would be held on Wednesday, Sept. 9, Apple has made official its annual keynote at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.

Members of the press received their invitations for Apple's media-related event Monday via e-mail. Last week, sources confirmed to AppleInsider that the event would be held the Wednesday after Labor Day. The now-official keynote will begin at 10 a.m. Pacific Time (1 p.m. Eastern).

With a graphic stating "It's only rock and roll, but we like it," the invitation references a classic Rolling Stones lyric. It also features a take on the company's standard-style iPod silhouette graphic.

Apple is expected to use the gathering to introduce new versions of its iPod nano and iPod touch digital music players featuring cameras. An additional rumor suggests the iPod classic could also be due for point-and-shoot capabilities.

Also rumored is a possible introduction of iTunes 9, which could perhaps include social networking features. Reports have also said that the latest version of Apple's media player could support playback of Blu-ray discs.

The Sept. 9 date has also fueled rumors that The Beatles' discography could finally make its long-awaited appearance on iTunes. That Wednesday is the same day the band is re-releasing its entire catalog, as well as the game The Beatles: Rock Band.

Sources have told AppleInsider to not expect any appearance of Apple's long-rumored tablet device. That new hardware is not expected to surface in any form until the first calendar quarter of 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 120
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I've gotta ask... just where are you getting this "Newton Web Tablet" stuff?

The odds of the word 'Newton' being anywhere in the name are exactly zero, and having that meme started on Appleinsider (for better or worse, a frequently reference source on the inbred blogosphere) is not helpful.
  • Reply 2 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I've gotta ask... just where are you getting this "Newton Web Tablet" stuff?

From Kasper's Automated Slave!
  • Reply 3 of 120
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    A Rolling Stones lyric quote for a Beatles event? I don't think so!
  • Reply 4 of 120
    Can someone explain how exactly this works unless your machine has an actual blu-ray laser in it? \
  • Reply 5 of 120
    Uhm... I thought we knew this already?

Anyhow, I have only two hopes for iTunes 9.

1] That they cut out all the bloat from the application, especially in the Windows version (though, seeing they probably WANT it to run slow, to entice you to a mac even if both would run at the same speed...)

2] WATCH FOLDERS for both OSs.

My guess, More bloat, less control.

Screw it, I'm using Amarok.
  • Reply 6 of 120
    They're going to put people to sleep with those anouncements. Apple needs something exciting for the holiday shopping season. Who wants yet another device with a freakin' camera?
  • Reply 7 of 120
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Why don't they ever have "movie events" - iTunes has movies too.
  • Reply 8 of 120
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Boy the press likes to torture the old Apple Computer vs Apple Records thing don't they?

Anyone who likes the Beatles already has their music from way back, either from cd's or pirated.

The college kids today, they nearly all think rap music is the ONLY music.

Good thing there is college to experience new things!

Quote:

Asked a girl what she wanted to be

She said baby, can't you see

I wanna be famous, a star of the screen

But you can do something in between

Baby you can drive my car

Yes I'm gonna be a star

Baby you can drive my car

And maybe I'll love you...beep beep yea!

• Reply 9 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by etslee View Post

They're going to put people to sleep with those anouncements. Apple needs something exciting for the holiday shopping season. Who wants yet another device with a freakin' camera?

Agreed. That's what I say- and such a low grade camera- no flash, no zoom?? ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz
  • Reply 10 of 120
    I've heard they are going to release something that uses magnetic tape to store music on it. It's going to be called a "Walkman" and will use AA batteries and be small enough to clip on your belt.

It's the future.........
  • Reply 11 of 120
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I've heard they are going to release something that uses magnetic tape to store music on it. It's going to be called a "Walkman" and will use AA batteries and be small enough to clip on your belt.

It's the future.........

dude get real that tech is years away yet
  • Reply 12 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

It's the future.........

Kewel, will it encode in binary?
  • Reply 13 of 120
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Boy the press likes to torture the old Apple Computer vs Apple Records thing don't they?

Anyone who likes the Beatles already has their music from way back, either from cd's or pirated.

The college kids today, they nearly all think rap music is the ONLY music.

Good thing there is college to experience new things!

Miley Cyrus likes The Beatles
  • Reply 14 of 120
    <quote> Also rumored is a possible introduction of iTunes 9,</quote>

Since most of the "standard" apple software is now running in 64 bit mode with Snow Leopard out and iTunes 8 running in the 32bit mode think iTunes 9 is more likely than not.
  • Reply 15 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

A Rolling Stones lyric quote for a Beatles event? I don't think so!

I think if the invite said "It was 20 years ago today", it would be a dead giveaway.
  • Reply 16 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmizerek View Post

I think if the invite said "It was 20 years ago today", it would be a dead giveaway.

So why not "Here Comes the Fun"?
  • Reply 17 of 120
    So apparently the silhouettes now dance with an iPod touch instead of an iPod classic.
  • Reply 18 of 120
    What're the chances of a 64GIG Touch? If they release that, I'll probably bite.
  • Reply 19 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmizerek View Post

Expect Ron Wood, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Mick Jagger to sign special edition iPods in the lobby after the event... word to the wise.
  • Reply 20 of 120
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Can someone explain how exactly this works unless your machine has an actual blu-ray laser in it? \

they might add BD to AppleTV which i don't really see the point in doing. I'm looking at a PS3 later this year to replace my crappy DVD player. $50 more than the current nice blu-ray players is a cheap price to pay especially since i can resell it for a good price in a few years.

I don't see the need to pay $500 for an AppleTV that doesn't do more than play movies