Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
what does this mean for OS X.3?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    It means nothing unexpected.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I think it is out for everything but Powerpc....why is that? since Powerpc is now there biggest marketshare...

anyway I assume this will be part of 10.3
  • Reply 3 of 4
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    At least most of the stuff like the terminal commands. The new kernal features obviously don't apply since OS X uses Mach as people point out. I guess Apple will wait for a few revisions.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by Producer:

<strong>I think it is out for everything but Powerpc....why is that? since Powerpc is now there biggest marketshare...

anyway I assume this will be part of 10.3</strong><hr></blockquote>

They hardly have any PowerPC market share at all. FreeBSD is a complete operating system which is mostly used on x86 boxes.

Apple uses large parts of its personality (e.g. the stuff you see when you launch a console), but they have to recompile anyway for the Darwin kernel, as it is completely different from the FreeBSD kernel.

So whether they have their own PPC port (they do, but it's highly experimental) or not doesn't really matter much for the Mac or Darwin community. Apple won't have any trouble migrating FreeBSD 5.x changes to a later major Darwin release.