Snow Leopard: optional installs?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

I just installed SL, and afterwards went into the Optional Installs. It seems possible to "upgrade" some Mac programs like iCal, Mail and so on. I tried it out on adressbook, but after a succesful "upgrade" it told me I had possibly installed older software.

What went wrong? Did I install an older version of adressbook, or did I install the same as Snow Leopard did? Or did nothing happen at all?

I'm confused. Please help with answers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Anyone else foolis... er, I mean "brave" enough to upgrade this early who can provide an answer?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    They are only there in case you elected not to install some part of them during the install process, or in case you delete any of those system apps at a later point and need to reinstall.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beg View Post

They are only there in case you elected not to install some part of them during the install process, or in case you delete any of those system apps at a later point and need to reinstall.

To beg: Clearly you have not installed Snow Leopard yourself since you would then know there are no options at all during the install.

Can someone provide a propor answer as to why the warning "you have installed older software that might not be compatible with Snow Leopard" apears after a succesful "upgrade" of apps such as iCal, iChat and adressbook?

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sororca View Post

To beg: Clearly you have not installed Snow Leopard yourself since you would then know there are no options at all during the install.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beg View Post

or in case you delete any of those system apps at a later point and need to reinstall.

Sororca, the warning message you see may be a bug.

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, re-install Snow Leopard, check the versions of iCal etc, then re-run the optional installs and see if the version numbers have changed.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Sororca, the warning message you see may be a bug.

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, re-install Snow Leopard, check the versions of iCal etc, then re-run the optional installs and see if the version numbers have changed.

Thanks.

I have a feeling you're right. I did check the adressbook version number, V.5 and that was unchanged before and after the optional install. It might just be a bug as you say.

Everything is working just fine, and Snow Leopard is a joy to work with. Not going to reinstall it.

Thanks for posting and helping out!