Incredible speed and free space increase with snow leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Strange as it may seem, when I installed Snow Leopard, I immediately freed almost 40 gig on my Macbook pro (can't imagine why) and speed was increased by a factor of 2-3 times. One more thing is that parallels is now "almost" as fast as a native program, especially with Quicken for windows, which is the only reason that I use parallels.

Anyway, as you may tell, I am extremely pleased.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Same here, I whiped my MacBook (because over the years it had accumulated too much garbage on the HD) and After installing SL, boot times were cut in half. Also, everything is super snappy now. Google Maps performance in Safari is simply unbelievable.

I can' wait to see iTunes turn into a 64bit Cocoa app
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucekost View Post

Strange as it may seem, when I installed Snow Leopard, I immediately freed almost 40 gig on my Macbook pro (can't imagine why)

See this thread.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Also...

Nearly full hard drives are much MUCH slower than drives with more free space available. Depending on virtual memory usage, the difference in performance ranges from somewhat surprising to downright stupefying.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I installed it on Friday and found a great improvement for all my usual applications. I have an early 2006 iMac. I am extremely pleased.