Inside Mac OS X Snow Leopard: QuickTime X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It is commonly reported that Snow Leopard's new QuickTime X (that's X for ten, not "ex") shows full screen movies without the Pro upgrade nag ... as full screen and panoramic movie playback...*All with no nagging to buy a Pro version upgrade.

Obviously you haven't used the non-pro QuickTime player in quite some time. You've been able to play full-screen video for quite some time with no upgrade nag.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Quicktime is confusing becase there are 4 Quicktimes, not two.

Quicktime X API

Quicktime X Player

Quicktime 7 API

Quicktime 7 Player

The API's enable playback, while the players are two programs that you can use to display the content.

All but the Quicktime 7 player is installed (with the default install settings) and the Quicktime X player supports the Quicktime 7 API, so any codecs that worked for Quicktime 7 will work for the Quicktime X player through the Quicktime 7 API.

"Also, the new QuickTime Player can indeed play movies using third-party plug-ins?a feature clearly powered by QuickTime 7."

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...s/16#qt-player

You wouldn't need to install the Quicktime 7 player unless you wanted the more advanced editing features it has. Quicktime X can handle all the playback. I would imagine as the Quicktime X platform moves forward, third party plugins will eventually be supported on the Quicktime X API as well.

The article was actually very superficial, and you've provided information that the author should have included in the first place. I would even split QuickTime 7 Player into the pro and non-pro flavors (yes, technically it's the same app). QuickTime X Player falls somewhere between those two, functionality-wise.

And this wasn't really a surprise. All you had to do was look at the screen shots of the 10.6 installer and see that the optional QT 7 install was only 10 MB, and could therefore only be the player application, not the entire QT framework. And since iMovie still supports all the codec options, it stood to reason that all of QT 7's capabilities were still there. It's just that QuickTime X Player doesn't support them all.

This whole mess reminds me of when I hung onto a copy of the QuickTime MoviePlayer 2.5 application because Apple switched to the pro/non-pro version of the player. The 2.5 player continued to work fine and utilized the newer QT frameworks giving me all the "pro" features of the newer players.

There's still some confusion as to whether the QuickTime X Player will play QuickTime VR. I'm still waiting for my copy of 10.6, so can't verify. Anyone?
  • Reply 22 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Apple finally drops full support for a 15 year old device and you're upset?

OK, time to be more helpful. You'll find that Apple does include a print driver for the 16/600 in Snow Leopard. The catch is that Snow Leopard doesn't include the AppleTalk networking protocol so you either have to use TCP/IP to talk to your printer or, if the printer doesn't allow that, use an older computer as a print server.

You do NOT have to revert your entire office to 10.5. Worst case scenario you have to revert one computer.

Well, it did cost around $1500.00, plus, another $250, I think, for a LocalTalk<->Ethernet bridge.

I guess I don't feel so bad now about mine having recently died, though.
  • Reply 23 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robreed View Post

I'm happy to see this sort of informative, well-written post among the content on appleinsider.com. It represents a meaningful contribution to the community, and demonstrates a commitment to the platform, beyond the rumors and forecasts. Just wanted to say that it's appreciated. Looking forward to the next one.

I would love to see budding authors be given such high visibility and thus lend credibility back to AppleInsider.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

However, Quicktime X refuses to play any MKV files, even when Perian is installed. =/

Maybe that's because MKV files are the most obscure, unsupported, files you could possibly be trying to play?

Why are people so negative? This is an amazing update to the Quicktime structure that lays the foundation for the future without deprecating anything, and without introducing a lot of confusion like multiple players and multiple versions.

Yet the first thing people do is complain about the fact that things are being deprecated (when they are not), and complain about the multiple versions when it's completely irrelevant.

Yes, behind the scenes there are multiple quicktime versions and code-bases being used. So what? How is this a problem to keep supporting the old stuff while moving forward with the new and to do so in a way that's invisible to the end user?

Seems rather brilliant to me.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Just use the extra install items on the Snow Leopard disc and install Quicktime 7 for Snow Leopard. Use that to play your MKV and WMV files. Yeah, it sucks, but that is the best solution I've come across.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Can't wait till my Deskjet D1430 is supported and Mail and Safari stop crashing with the spinning beach ball.

I may have to buy a new printer - not very green of HP or Apple to abandon 2 year old printers with new OS releases.

Apple/HP are apparently a bit behind with getting drivers out for 10.6 for this and other printers, but it the Deskjet D1400 series is listed as supported so it should have a driver via Software Update soon.

I ran into this with my HP PSC 1200 series as well but in the meantime, I installed the 10.5 Leopard HP drivers off the Leopard disc and it's working.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Maybe that's because MKV files are the most obscure, unsupported, files you could possibly be trying to play?

Why are people so negative? This is an amazing update to the Quicktime structure that lays the foundation for the future without deprecating anything, and without introducing a lot of confusion like multiple players and multiple versions.

Yet the first thing people do is complain about the fact that things are being deprecated (when they are not), and complain about the multiple versions when it's completely irrelevant.

Yes, behind the scenes there are multiple quicktime versions and code-bases being used. So what? How is this a problem to keep supporting the old stuff while moving forward with the new and to do so in a way that's invisible to the end user?

Seems rather brilliant to me.

I think the problem people are having it that it's NOT invisible. Now I have to figure out why some of my files won't play anymore. Now I have to decide if I need to install the QT7 player. And now I have to pick which app to open my video file in depending on if it will play or what I want to do with it.

I'm not saying that it wasn't necessary. They could have made one player that could access both sets of APIs, but that wouldn't have encouraged developers to migrate to the new framework. But it's anything but "invisible" to the end user.
  • Reply 28 of 88
    The removal of some very important features in QuickTime Player X leaves me wondering just how the hell I'm going to get some day to day procedures done after they stop supporting the older player nestled away in the Utilities folder. They've eliminated the ability to copy/paste frames for exporting as an image sequence or pasting into another application. They've done away entirely with the ability to export anything, instead giving you only the option to save in the H264 format at various Apple-device sizes. Gone is the ability to adjust the display size and countless other aspects of a movie file. And you can no longer start two movies at the exact same time — very useful when comparing multiple versions of a video.

I was so looking forward to the trim and screen recording capabilities of QuickTime Player X as it eliminates the need for several third party programs, and now I'm left having to find new third party programs to make up for all of the lost capabilities. Apple needs to deliver a Pro version of QuickTime Player once again, and pronto.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Windowz lusers - pay attention this is the Macintosh Platform.

there aint no

Service Packs

Patches

RTM's

Motherboards

Wallpapers

file cut n paste

MAC

or any other stupid windowisms u lusers are corrupting us with.

learn the lingo or fsck off

System Upgrades

System Updates

Golden Masters

Logic Boards

Desktop Pictures

move or copy via drag n drop

it's fsckin Mac short for Macintosh there aint not ancronym!!!
  • Reply 30 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

HTTP Live Streaming

What about Apple TV 3.0? There could be more information on that in the coming iPod event on September 9, but it's safe to say that Apple TV will eventually also offer HTTP Live Streaming on it, too. This will make the device much more "TV like," in that it will be able to peruse streaming video feeds without requiring an initial progressive download.

Having a cheap, flexible and open protocol for delivering video to millions of iPhone, iPod touch, QuickTime, and Apple TV viewers will democratize live and on-demand video publishing just like podcasting has, enabling anyone to set up live feeds of events without needing a specialized RTSP streaming server.

streaming video might be nice for a lot of people, but the progressive download works well when your home is surrounded by 10 wireless networks. Interference can really be a problem.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

Windowz lusers - pay attention this is the Macintosh Platform.

there aint no

Service Packs

Patches

RTM's

Motherboards

Wallpapers

file cut n paste

MAC

or any other stupid windowisms u lusers are corrupting us with.

learn the lingo or fsck off

System Upgrades

System Updates

Golden Masters

Logic Boards

Desktop Pictures

move or copy via drag n drop

it's fsckin Mac short for Macintosh there aint not ancronym!!!

• Reply 32 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

Embarrassing crap

• Reply 33 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Guess you don't download many high definition movies.

They are not obscure, and with Perian, not unsupported. In fact, my standalone LG Blu-ray player supports playback of high-definition MKV files via a USB hard-drive, which is great because the MKV container can hold multiple surround sound audio streams as well as subtitles, perfect for HD movies.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post

Just use the extra install items on the Snow Leopard disc and install Quicktime 7 for Snow Leopard. Use that to play your MKV and WMV files. Yeah, it sucks, but that is the best solution I've come across.

QuickTime X does play WMVs.

You may need to Get Info on a WMV file, change the Open with to QuickTime Player.app, and then Change All.

I haven't found any MKV's yet to see what's going on with them.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post

A better solution would be to use VLC. Quicktime Player is a far second place for me, even though I've had Perian for ages. VLC is just a far more full-featured media player.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mediaphile View Post

Guess you don't download many high definition movies.

They are not obscure, and with Perian, not unsupported. In fact, my standalone LG Blu-ray player supports playback of high-definition MKV files via a USB hard-drive, which is great because the MKV container can hold multiple surround sound audio streams as well as subtitles, perfect for HD movies.

Get a grip.

It's an open-source alternative for high-definition files from Russia. It only has any traction at all because at the moment almost no one is using HD video codecs except the torrent freaks and rippers. At least not one that can be agreed upon by all parties. The big media companies prefer to sell the HD stuff on plastic of course.

The number of people into HD video who don't just buy BlueRay discs is basically tiny at the moment and MKV is hardly accepted or standard much of anywhere. It has virtually no hardware media player support and no support in either Windows Media Player or Quicktime (natively) which are the two most common software media players.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wiki

The first chipset to include Matroska Video support has (just) been released by Texas Instruments under the name "DaVinci". It is used in the Cowon A3 portable media player. Although an increasing number of standalone players now support the AVI format, thus far Matroska support is practically nonexistent. Support in this area is essential for the container to achieve the degree of ubiquity foreseen by its proponents. There is a sort of "chicken and egg" logjam where the manufacturers hesitate to support it because it is not widely used, and it is not widely used because of very limited hardware support.

I'm not saying it doesn't have potential (despite the drawbacks of being open source and used by pirates mostly), but it *is* obscure, and it *is* (mostly) unsupported by anyone. the Perian guys writing a codec support for it doesn't mean it's mainstream in any way shape or form.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I think the problem people are having it that it's NOT invisible. Now I have to figure out why some of my files won't play anymore. Now I have to decide if I need to install the QT7 player. And now I have to pick which app to open my video file in depending on if it will play or what I want to do with it.

I'm not saying that it wasn't necessary. They could have made one player that could access both sets of APIs, but that wouldn't have encouraged developers to migrate to the new framework. But it's anything but "invisible" to the end user.

I'm not installing Snow Leopard until the weekend, but to answer your question, all files that played in the previous Quicktime should play in Quicktime X. If they don't, you have an unforeseen problem not related to Quicktime X or Snow Leopard.

You don't have to install Quicktime 7 in Snow Leopard unless you just like the look of the player or need some of the features of that player like the ability to extract tracks from the container or paste two videos together and stuff like that. It's just an interface question, all the stuff that *is* Quicktime 7, especially the codecs is still there in the background.

In fact, Quicktime X only plays a very small set of files. Most of the time if you look at the process manager it's loading Quicktime 7 in the background to run the files and the plug-ins like Perian still work with that. It *should* be invisible whereas if they did it the other way with two players, you'd have to figure out which player to use all the time because all the codecs and plug-ins would work with one or the other but not both.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Calling anything Apple a "Service Pack" makes me wanna run for an ice pack!

On the bright side, "Service Pack" is a truly Microsoft invention!

One of their engineers explained to me that they are a necessity. Why? Because any Windows release is only about 10% functional when it first come out. After they find out what people want, they make it actually work. Sadly, that's a true story. But then Microsoft goes out of their way to do things "different" than Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 88
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Also, AppleInsider, I would like more of this kind of thing than the "Steve to be at Sept. 9th" and "Steve won't be at Sept. 9th" etc... I don't much care about the little day to day things. In depth stuff like this is much better.

Just cut to the chase and go to roughlydrafted.com for reams of Daniel's writing.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

I actually enjoy the fact you can click on a music file icon and play that song without launching quicktime or iTunes, small feature but I find it really useful.

we have had that feature for a while now

and with video too