AT&T improves 3G coverage in metro New York, New Jersey

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I don't seem to be able to get the free ATT Wifi in Starbucks. It always asks me for a username pasword. I thought it was supposed to be automatic?

are you running iphone OS 3?
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Talk about lowered expectations! What exactly does AT&T want, a pat on the back? Great job for doing something that should have never been an issue in the first place.

Since day one, AT&T has been like a 1 ton weight on the heels of the iPhone (now compounded by Apple and it's draconian policies, but that's another issue). Sorry if I don't feel elated with improved service (slight mind you; there's still poor 3G service around midtown). Where's MMS? Where's tethering?

Give me a break...!

/end of morning rant
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Since that is the unofficial end of summer my questions (demands actually) would be

1. Where the frak is MMS

2. Where the frak is tethering

Yup I know you can hack the phone to do both (and did so but I like visual voice mail and the

hack seemed to goof that up) but still I want to see folks hold AT&T's feet to the fire on this one.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    I've never been able to figure out why AT&T and T-Mobile (the two carriers I've used) have such spotty service along the Northeast Corridor from Philly to NYC. It's one of the most heavily trafficked commuter corridors in the country, but there are multiple long dead spots -- just south of Newark, west of Secaucus Jct., and an almost 10-min stretch between Princeton and New Brunswick -- that haven't improved at all over the past 3 years. This morning I had the same dead area outside of Princeton, so apparently AT&T's upgrades aren't in effect there yet.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyrnight View Post

too bad I just switched to the Palm Pre.. Its Not a bad device..

Nice advertising slogan.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chiefted View Post

Since that is the unofficial end of summer my questions (demands actually) would be

1. Where the frak is MMS

2. Where the frak is tethering

Yup I know you can hack the phone to do both (and did so but I like visual voice mail and the

hack seemed to goof that up) but still I want to see folks hold AT&T's feet to the fire on this one.

Labor day may be something you relate to the end of summer, but summer 2009 officially ends September 22, 2009 at 5:18 pm EDT.

September 9 is the Apple media event, and they're likely to announce iPhone OS 3.1 and release it that day or shortly after. This should enable MMS, meeting their deadline of MMS by end of summer. Tethering may or may not be enabled, but AT&T never gave a date for when tethering would be available on its network. Apple only announced that it would be available on the iPhone and it was up to the carriers for pricing and availability.

The hack only temporarily disables visual voice mail, and doesn't delete any messages. You can enable the profile before you tether and disable it after you tether. I know this isn't ideal, and poses risks, fear, and burden, but it gets the job done if you really need it.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Crossing over from Danbury, CT to Brewster, NY, my 3G signal actually drops now. It never did before. Also, 3G coverage in Brewster, Carmel, North Salem, etc, is a lot worse now than it was a few months ago. Very annoying.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

too bad CDMA has this annoying feature where you can't talk and get data at the same time. i also have a sprint BB and go to roaming and back to evdo every 5-10 minutes when walking around town. i hear around DC Sprint is top notch

Thats odd.. I haven't had that issue.. I didn't set up wi-fi on it yet and I was able to receive text and emails while on a call without an issue.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Nice advertising slogan.

LOL. yea.. but it was the "closest" thing I could find to my iPhone experience. it really is NOT an iPhone by any means.. but it cuts the mustard just fine. Its a phone, and has the basic functions I need to save money.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jclampet View Post

I've never been able to figure out why AT&T and T-Mobile (the two carriers I've used) have such spotty service along the Northeast Corridor from Philly to NYC. It's one of the most heavily trafficked commuter corridors in the country, but there are multiple long dead spots -- just south of Newark, west of Secaucus Jct., and an almost 10-min stretch between Princeton and New Brunswick -- that haven't improved at all over the past 3 years. This morning I had the same dead area outside of Princeton, so apparently AT&T's upgrades aren't in effect there yet.

Expense/availability of tower sites? Tall buildings? Corporate bafflegab and stat fudging?

Whatever, I've dropped maybe three calls total in the last two years in NYC and the metro area with Verizon. I have 900 minutes, 500 TXT/PIC messages, an outstanding keyboard, good display, and internet access if I really need it.

Meanwhile, plenty of net at home/work, and can actually live without it for a few hours - plus the optimized email, weather and news sites, including the big free email providers, and some major papers/nets actually aren't bad on my LG Voyager.

- and ta-daaa -

About 15 channels of live TV everywhere, two of which are the main cable channels I watch anyway - for $90/month total.

In fact, I've dropped cable TV and now have no other TV costs/month unless I rent a movie, what with video podcasts, and a constantly growing number of web video sources.

Won't work for all of you and I'd love the iPhone web in my pocket, but I do have everything I need - beginning with a phone that "just works" (does that phrase ring a bell with any of youse?) and bet my combined phone/isp bill is smaller than yours. Not braggin', jus' sayin'....
  • Reply 31 of 42
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

Service quality for all of August has definitely been the worst since I got my first iPhone 2G (upgraded in January to 3G). Voicemails have taken 3 days to show up, SMS arrive 1 hour late sometimes, and calls drop or fail with 5 bars all the time. I called AT&T to complain, and without having to escalate to a manager, got a $150 credit.

I hope this decrease in quality was the result of their upgrades, and that September will be better, otherwise I'm going to call them once a month every month to demand another credit.

Ditto. My service has been HORRIBLE lately. Late voicemails are definitely a problem. But the worst is dropped calls. I had a few days where the phone dropped EVERY call after a few minutes. Then, it wouldn't make or receive calls (though the people I called reported their phones rang). I restored and reactivated the phone and it was better, but it's still having issues. I am going to call and get my $150!
  • Reply 32 of 42
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyrnight View Post

Thats odd.. I haven't had that issue.. I didn't set up wi-fi on it yet and I was able to receive text and emails while on a call without an issue.

i have a CDMA BB Curve and tested it out. called it from my iphone and when i tried to surf the internet it wouldn't let me. meanwhile my iphone was on 3G only and no wifi and i could talk and surf the internet. and the BB wouldn't send or receive any email until i disconnected the call
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I'll admit that I don't know how the signal interactions work, but I've got to wonder if ATT would get better loads if they could piggyback signals into people's wifi networks -- if your phone has a wifi, why can't ATT use a combo of cell and VOIP to blend and make a better experience?

I have trouble imagining that this is beyond our existing techonology, but it might be a bandwidth cost issue...

iCarbon (wishes that he had better reception in his building that has wifi everywhere)

It's probably around the corner, T-Mobile already does this & other carriers have announced plans to move that direction. It likely will not happen until AT&T figures out how they can add that feature but keep people paying for their higher minute plans. A lot of people will downgrade their minutes & just try to use wifi most of the time (given free AT&T wifi this could actually save one a lot of money).

They will probably offer it either with some sort of heavy charge or they will say it still costs you minutes regardless. In any case it'd be a big plus for businesses because it would eliminate the need for costly repeaters.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenwaves View Post

Good.

Now where is the MMS?!!!

in canada!
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Yup. 3G networks are saturated everywhere all over the world...

What's the solution? Dunno. More cells and repeaters deployed everywhere to channel all that traffic into wires as quickly as possible?
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Countdown to my complaint call is on! Seriously, AT&T has suffered in terms of reputation. I know it's the most unreliable service I've ever used. I hope the iPhone goes non-exclusive next year.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    well at least you have 3G in NY and NJ, here in Wisconsin we dont even have it.. and I still have to pay the $30 for it... talk about a rip off!
  • Reply 39 of 42
    A few friends of mine and myself have noticed that when we call each other (all in Okalhoma and have iPhones) that sometimes one of us can not here the other during a call. No specific time of day or during the call. I might hear them but they can't hear me or vice verse. Anyone else having this issue? Oklahoma or any place else? And could this be an network upgrade issue???
  • Reply 40 of 42
    I just called and got 14 days of service credit. Not bad. They were very apologetic and said the last few weeks have seen some major problems. Everyone call now!