- Mac OS X 10.4.11

It still works great!

What's the latest OS i can get for it?

You've got it: Tiger.

Quote:

And, what else can I max out?

I'm guessing it will take 2GB of RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I used to run leopard on 1.25GHz G4 with 1GB of RAM. It wasn't snappy. But it was usable.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alvareznieves View Post

Hey O-Mac,

Use Ubuntu.

I am currently using this system its really very good and also provides me planty of some good facilities.

I think you have a good configuration then you should have to use ubuntu.

This is open source and i think you can enjoy it graphics and some other facilities.

Think about it.

Ubuntu won't run on a PPC machine, AFAIK.

See here.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

I have the Powerbook Ti 15"

- 1GHz PowerPC G4 processor

- 1GB RAM

- 60GB hard drive

- Mac OS X 10.4.11

It still works great!

10.5.8 is what I'm using on my 867mhz, 15" TiBook, with 1GB RAM. AFAIK, 1GB is the maximum RAM for the TiBook, at least the one I have.

Mine also works great as a light use second computer. I keep waiting for it to die so I can replace it, but it keeps chugging along.

The only problem is that it doesn't have wireless built in and my wireless card is so old it's no longer supported. I don't think anyone makes wireless cards anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

I have the Powerbook Ti 15"

- 1GHz PowerPC G4 processor

- 1GB RAM

- 60GB hard drive

- Mac OS X 10.4.11

It still works great!

You can put Leopard on there. RAM is already maxed out. Get a 7200 rpm hard drive in there if you don't already have one for ~ 30% speed boost. I have done that to every laptop I have ever owned, including my MSI Wind running Leopard and vibration and/ or heat has NEVER been an issue. Or, sell it for whatever you can get ($300-400) and get a used Macbook for another $300 which would be your best bet in order to stay current, since you can put SL in there and up the RAM to 3-4 Gb.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

...The only problem is that it doesn't have wireless built in and my wireless card is so old it's no longer supported. I don't think anyone makes wireless cards anymore.

Huh??

No longer supported?... I've got a iBook G3 with the very first iteration of the Airport Wireless card... It works just fine on any 802.11b compatible networks... still fully supported.

No, nobody makes new ones, but if yours is BROKEN, I've got an Airport Extreme wireless card sitting on a shelf. I could list it on eBay real quick if you wanted to buy it
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Huh??

No longer supported?... I've got a iBook G3 with the very first iteration of the Airport Wireless card... It works just fine on any 802.11b compatible networks... still fully supported.

No, nobody makes new ones, but if yours is BROKEN, I've got an Airport Extreme wireless card sitting on a shelf. I could list it on eBay real quick if you wanted to buy it

It's a external Belkin card that fits in the PC Card slot, not an internal Airport wireless card. The card isn't broken, I think it's just that the drivers for the card are no longer supported by the OS. Perhaps I'll check the Belkin site to see if any updated drivers are available, although the card is so old I doubt it.

Anyway, it's not a big deal as the TiBook is tethered in an ethernet LAN 99% of the time. If I need wireless on the go I use my iPod Touch.