Apple already testing Mac OS X 10.6.1 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple is moving quickly to patch holes and repair incompatibilities within Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, having already providing some developers with betas of the first maintenance and security update planned for the new operating system.

Three people familiar with the matter say the Mac maker issued the first external builds of Mac OS X 10.6.1 to a select group of developers on Monday, September 1st. The move comes just four days after Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard hit retail shelves.

Those receiving the first builds are part of smaller, more exclusive seeding programs run by the Cupertino-based company. They traditionally operate on an invitation-only basis, unlike the Apple Developer Connection open all developers willing to pay membership fees.

Still, ADC members have historically received equivalent pre-release software builds within a week or two of those people belonging to the more exclusive programs, meaning ADC members could see their first taste of Mac OS X 10.6.1 as early as this weekend.

Thus far, little is reportedly known about Apple's agenda for Mac OS X 10.6.1, as documentation for the release is limited. Some of the most common problems encountered by users of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard are believed to be out of the company's hands, involving third-party printer drivers and application incompatibilities.

There have, however, been several reports from users who are encountering the spinning wheel of death and battling issues with Snow Leopard's build in Cisco VPN -- two issues which may see some relief under Mac OS X 10.6.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    Big Apple (New York): The city that never sleeps.

Apple: The company that never sleeps.

• Reply 2 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post

Big Apple (New York): The city that never sleeps.

Apple: The company that never sleeps.

Yeah I'm the man that never sleeps.
  • Reply 3 of 90
    this 10.6.1 update better fix the vertical lines/distortion that people are getting when they try to open a site from their Top Sites.

This seems to be an issue with a lot of people who upgraded to 10.6
  • Reply 4 of 90
    I would be a much happier camper if they addressed the RAID troubles... For those of you who may not know, many of us have had serious issues (to the tune of kernel panics) when 10.6 attempts to connect to a RAID created in earlier OS versions, my particular case being a RAID 5 (8 drives in two enclosures connected by an 8 channel HighPoint RocketRaid PCI-express card). Snow Leopard cannot interface with these drives if they are in any way a part of a RAID. HighPoint Technologies has been great, and have provided me with a beta version of their driver, which has at least allowed me to re-create my RAID array with their hardware, but still, Disk Utility = Kernel Panic, like clockwork...

Curious if anybody else is experiencing RAID issues? There are a few good discussions going on in the apple support forums, as well, with some possible fixes.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2136321

and

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2132037
  • Reply 5 of 90
    I'm hoping the DNS issues are resolved along with support for xerox workcentre printers.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toolrox923 View Post

this 10.6.1 update better fix the vertical lines/distortion that people are getting when they try to open a site from their Top Sites.

I've noticed this too, I'm sure they'll fix it, just a minor annoyance. Other than that SL has been GREAT for me. I have a really cheap external 500gig USB HD that always gave me problems with leopard, sometimes Leopard wouldn't boot up at all unless I turned off the drive.

Now with SL I have no issues with this HD, everything is blazing fast, shut down and restart are super fast, finder is faster, love the scrolling on stacks, looking forward to trying the screen capture video recording in QTX. I booted my 24" aluminum iMac into 64 bit and have not encountered a problem. Great job Apple, SL - well worth the $29.
  • Reply 7 of 90
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

That and general stability along with printer drivers would be nice.
  • Reply 8 of 90
    The only beef I have with SL to this point is an issue with Exchange in iCal where I can accept meeting invites but I can't send out meeting invites (iCal won't save it to the Exchange server).

There are a whole pile of people on the Apple Support forums seeing the same thing.

Mail.app works great with Exchange and "half" of iCal works great with Exchange. I'd like Apple to have a look at other "half" of iCal so I can finally be rid of the horrorshow that is Entourage.

Past that, Snow Leopard has given me *no* issues whatsoever. It was well worth the upgrade
  • Reply 9 of 90
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    hell yeah ? we're heading to the next pussy
  • Reply 10 of 90
    Ever since 10A421a, Safari likes to produce the lovely spinning beach ball frequently when going from page to page. I bet it's flash related.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I had a prob with HP 5610 deskjet series

and i found out that re'install old SW version and all will be well . And it is . It onlt took 4 hrs to figure this out .

SNOWY is great .
  • Reply 12 of 90
    I hope they fix the crash in the save dialog.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Epson made me install Rosetta in order for their latest drivers to work with my Artisan 800 series printer.
  • Reply 14 of 90
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

While I'm sure that problem will eventually be fixed, your tone is incredible. 'they BETTER' fix it? It's an extremely minor annoyance for a fraction of a second when switching web pages. Sure, it should be fixed, but it's probably #1,500 on the priority list.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    whatever dude, kiss off
  • Reply 16 of 90
    I guess this means there won’t be another Leopard point update after all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Ever since 10A421a, Safari likes to produce the lovely spinning beach ball frequently when going from page to page. I bet it's flash related.

I haven’t experienced this. Have you reset your Safari caches? You might want to try installing ClickToFlash. It’s great for preventing unneeded Flash to clutter your page and suck your bandwidth and cycles.
  • Reply 17 of 90
    The snow leopard upgrade brought so many problems to some of us that they could release 10.6.1 without any testing, because worst than 10.6 it would never be. Not even windows vista brought me so many incompatibilities!
  • Reply 18 of 90
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Another reason Apple probably wants to get this out the door is for all the people who habitually wait for 10.x.[>0] to be released before upgrading.
  • Reply 19 of 90
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmccarvalho View Post

The snow leopard upgrade brought so many problems to some of us that they could release 10.6.1 without any testing, because worst than 10.6 it would never be. Not even windows vista brought me so many incompatibilities!

A lot of 1st post trolls on AI lately ... what's up with that?
  • Reply 20 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

Epson made me install Rosetta in order for their latest drivers to work with my Artisan 800 series printer.

Be careful with Epson. When I went to get drivers for my R280, on the driver page there was a link for information on 10.6 support. I clicked on the link, entered my printer model, and the page said 10.6 drivers were not available and gave me the "install Rosetta" instructions to get it working.

The thing is, I noticed back on the original driver page, 10.6 drivers were listed. Not only that, I new version of PrintCD with 10.6 compatibility was also listed. The drivers and PrintCD work fine with 10.6.

I have no idea why their 10.6 page indicated my R280 did not have drivers when it clearly did. You may want to double check the drivers for your Artisan.

-kpluck