AT&T to enable MMS for iPhone 3G and 3GS on Sept. 25

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    there are a bunch of apps in the app store that will give you free or low cost SMS/MMS. i don't know why people are complaining. i text a little from my iphone and its completely free
  • Reply 22 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by insanexsi View Post

Again.MMS isn't that exciting.email has been working well for me.Also sending email via text to other carriers (i.e.------phone# @vzwpix.com) works pretty well.

Try explaining that to a hot girl prospect when you're sharing photos .. i'm with you, i even send SMS thru gmail phone#@vtext.com so i dont have to go to an unlimited plan.

MMS shouldn't be thrilling, but the rest of the world uses it for now. It's kind of like the fax machine IMO.

I'm a 3G owner, but i can't see the logic why this wouldn't work with a 2G. My old LG phone from 5 yrs ago was able to send/receive pic msgs, iPhone 2G is far superior.... I feel for ya 2Gers

p.s. hoping to go back to verizon when they get 4G and hope at&t loses exclusivity w/ Apple
  • Reply 23 of 83
    I've been waiting for months now and i have to wait even longer than I expected. I guess I'm glad that the iPhone even gets it.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    It's embarrassing. You would think that AT&T is a start-up company the way they deploy wireless and network services in this country. These folks continue to play the planned obsolescence game with these not-so-new technologies. Build as little as you can get away with, knowing that dropped calls during normal peaks will be tolerated, and charge what the market will bear. And they wonder why they lost their land-line phone customers. Clueless.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The volume of smartphone data traffic the AT&T network is handling is unmatched in the wireless industry.

I wish we could see some verified/verifiable hard data on a claim like that.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Just use e-mail.

Friends don't let friends use SMS/MMS.

Yeah, unless you're receiving them from people. Checking them through the browser is horrendous.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xtss33 View Post

It's embarrassing. You would think that AT&T is a start-up company the way they deploy wireless and network services in this country. These folks continue to play the planned obsolescence game with these not-so-new technologies. Build as little as you can get away with, knowing that dropped calls during normal peaks will be tolerated, and charge what the market will bear. And they wonder why they lost their land-line phone customers. Clueless.

totally agree. AFT...
  • Reply 28 of 83
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    May our "Hummers" text so much on Sept 25 that we crash that frakkin network and we all get to $ue AT&T.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yeah, unless you're receiving them from people. Checking them through the browser is horrendous.

Totally agree! I don't understand why the username/password used to view them can't be autofilled into the browser when you click the link...
  • Reply 30 of 83
    You know, as happy as I am to finally be getting it, I really do have to jump on the WTF Wagon here. How the hell is it possible that AT&T has been unable or unwilling to enable MMS for TWO FREAKING YEARS? I mean really...you mean to tell me that it's taken them two years to get their network ready for some goddamned picture messages---while in the meantime we've been surfing, e-mailing, gaming, downloading, etc? I just can't buy that. I can download apps from the app store under 10MB, but I can't send or receive a 1MB picture?

Don't even get me started on quality of voice service. It is horrible. As I posted in another thread, AT&T is the worst cell service I've ever had, hands down. Dropped calls are constant (at least 1 every other day, usually more). Service drops in and out. Actual call quality is highly suspect most of the time. I get distortion. I often get corrupted calls...where it connects and then I hear what sounds like a F***ing alien eating a fax machine. I get calls that don't end properly.

Oohh...and how about delayed voicemails/recent call notifications and texts? This seems to happen on regular phones as well.

Apple has to be aware of these problems. I can only assume that if the pressure gets high enough, they'll go multi-carrier next year. If so, AT&T is going to be in a world of hurt. They'll lose customers almost as fast as they got them. People like me, who will be at the end of their contracts, will bail for Verizon.

/rant
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

Totally agree! I don't understand why the username/password used to view them can't be autofilled into the browser when you click the link...

I would accept login codes that could be read by human beings and passwords that didn't sound like subject lines of spam e-mails.

L: 8xoch7khH45T

P: tommy2whine

• Reply 32 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

May our "Hummers" text so much on Sept 25 that we crash that frakkin network and we all get to $ue AT&T.

We need to overload the ATT servers on the 25th! We sould text ourselves with "ATT SUCKS" 1000x. Copy & Paste SMS war!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

ATT reason: Why, b/c its too easy and it make sense, we want to piss off our customers and do everything ass backwards and charge you a arm & a leg for service.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Not the worst idea ever... Apple should probably think about how to unify user interfaces of Mail and Messages. The feature is called e-mail threads and has been existing since long now.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JesC View Post

We need to overload the ATT servers on the 25th! We sould text ourselves with "ATT SUCKS" 1000x. Copy & Paste SMS war!

With a pic attached of a Hummer! Crash date 9/25/09!
  • Reply 35 of 83
    a few days late?

How about 3 years late.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

With a pic attached of a Hummer! Crash date 9/25/09!

that would be nice, but how many of us would it take to crash the network?
  • Reply 37 of 83
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

Well since I live in NYC and AT&T's network is so fragile over here, it would probably only take the first MMS to crash the network.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Just use e-mail.

Friends don't let friends use SMS/MMS.

Most of my family members don't have email on their phone. They are always trying to send me picture messages. And I'm so tired of having to remind them that I can't receive them on my iPhone. It's so embarrassing to hear "you mean your iphone can't get picture messages?" They are incredulous when I tell them it can't.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    Quote:

One.

Well, one too many that is.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    I think my favorite part about their press release is that they have a woman holding an original iPhone (which doesn't appear to be supported).

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1574