What have you Found?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just Read that Shift Click thread, Now I'm curious What Else have you cats found in OSX that isn't written anywhere cept maybe a napkin in Steve's Office.

flick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Turn speakable items and speak text on, then ask it to tell you a joke.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Check the bottom<a href="http://www.macslash.org/articles/02/09/26/152209.shtml"; target="_blank">Check this out</a>
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Here's another really cool one from macslash:

[quote]Comet Way writes "Wow. Try this in Jaguar!

Open the Universal Access control panel.

Click on "Set Display to Grayscale" turning it on.

Press control-option-command-8

Click on "Set Display to Grayscale" again turning it off.

Essentially, this lets you use White on Black while remaining in color mode, something the GUI interface seems to prevent. This has the dramatic effect of changing the standard Aqua colors into orange and black!

Here is the procedure to set everything back:

Press control-option-command-8

Press control-option-command-8 again

We're not sure if this is intentional or not, but it is way cool. " Remember, we don't actually try these tips before we post them, we just take your word on it. If you actually erase your thesis, written in a 5000 year old dead language, it is NOT our fault. <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 4 of 48
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    OMG! That looks positively hideously cool!
  • Reply 5 of 48
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    That is cool! Screen shots capture in their normal colors though. Too bad. I guess it makes sense, but it woulda been cool.

Here's a neat trick: option while clicking the scroll arrows in cocoa apps speed scrolling acceleration.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Another one: cmd + clicking a background window allows you to move it without bringing it to the foreground (in most apps. MS apps don't do this for some reason. :confused: Anyone know why?). It may SEEM useless, but I've actually found uses for it.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>MS apps don't do this for some reason.</strong><hr></blockquote>*cough*crappy-carbon-port*cough*

Cocoa apps have always done this since the Public Beta. Carbon apps have been iffy and there are still a few stragglers in this department such as Microsoft.

Hrmm. There are so many "tricks" in OSX that I've found over the years, I wouldn't know where to begin. Most are so commonplace to me (like the command-clicking in the background) that I don't even really think of them as anything special, assuming that most other users already know about them.

Most of the modifier+widget tricks from Classic Mac OS are still around. Option-close closes all windows in an app. Option-minimize minimizes all windows. Option-switch to another app hides the former app.

The dialog shortcuts from Classic Mac OS are also still mostly working. Escape and command-period work for Cancel. D (sometimes, usually only in Carbon apps) and command-D work for Don't Save. Control-eject acts as the old power key did, bringing up the Restart, Sleep, Shut Down dialog. In this, the old S and R shortcuts still work.

Then there are the Dock modifiers. Option-click switches to an app and hides the previous. Command-option-click switches to an app and hides all others. Command-click shows that app in the Finder. When command-tabbing through, pressing H hides an app and Q quits it. Unfortunately, these two keys are hard-coded and seem to ignore the dvorak settings (even when set as root).

In Cocoa toolbars, rather than control clicking (or choosing customize) and choosing from the menu the display options, you can instead command-click the toolbar display widget to cycle through the modes quickly. You can shift-command-click to go through them backwards.

Geez, I could go on all night listing little things like these. It's the little features like these that I really think really help make the whole Mac experience so pleasant and better to use than Windows.

Bliss.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Hey Brad, could you describe the excerpt below in more detail? I'm not sure if this is something I already know....could you give a real-life example?

Thanks

[quote] In Cocoa toolbars, rather than control clicking (or choosing customize) and choosing from the menu the display options, you can instead command-click the toolbar display widget to cycle through the modes quickly. You can shift-command-click to go through them backwards. <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 9 of 48
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You know that capsule-shaped button on the right side of a window's title bar? Where the WindowShade button would be if it were OS 9. Well, normally, that just shows and hides the toolbar if you click it. However, if you command click it, it will cycle through various views of the toolbar - between large icons w/ text, small icons w/ text, large icons w/o text, small icons w/o text, large text only, and small text only. That doesn't work in Finder windows, though, just applications.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>That doesn't work in Finder windows, though, just applications.</strong><hr></blockquote>Because the Finder is Carbon and the NSToolbar still only exists in Cocoa. Finder's toolbar has always been a cheap hack.

Anyhow, your description fits exactly to what I meant in my last post.

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 48
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Try Cmd + Shift + J in Finder
  • Reply 12 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

<strong>Try Cmd + Shift + J in Finder</strong><hr></blockquote>Actually, that is a service that can be activated anywhere. See the application menu -&gt; Services.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by chych:

<strong>Try Cmd + Shift + J in Finder</strong><hr></blockquote>

That doesn't do anything for me. What's it supposed to do?
  • Reply 14 of 48
    You need the Apple Developer Tools installed. It is a service that launches the JavaBrowser.app.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Hm so it is. Friggin annoying when I miss h and hit j.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

Here's a neat trick: option while clicking the scroll arrows in cocoa apps speed scrolling acceleration.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sort of.

edit: oops, just realized I misread your comment. Oh, well I'll let it stand as a seperate hint.

--------------

In the general preferences you can select between two behaviours for the scroll bars.

When you click in the empty space beside a scroll bar it can either scroll one page in that direction (default) or scroll to the part of the document that corresponds to that exact point.

Holding option as you click toggles your choice for that click.

-------

For more of these I'm sure the Help system lists all the Finder shortcuts somewhere.

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: stupider...likeafox ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 48
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    Did anyone mention side scrolling with a scroll wheel on your mouse?

If you have a very large document that is wider than your screen, you can hold shift-option and use the scroll wheel to go sideways.

I haven't used it much since I bought this 19 inch screen.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    jayjay Posts: 27member
    [quote]Originally posted by nosey:

<strong>If you have a very large document that is wider than your screen, you can hold shift-option and use the scroll wheel to go sideways.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can also side-scroll like this in the Finder in column view. Very handy.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Actually all you have to hold down is shift; option is not necessary.

I'm glad that Chimera is now working like that. It used to be kinda dumb in that regard - if you held down shift while scrolling, it would scroll down slowely regardless of whether the wheel was going up or down. Now it goes sideways if you hold down shift, like it should.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I remember from a while back that if you typed in bill gates in the Command line it would reply Kill Gates OK?

It doesn't seem to work anymore