TomTom kit delayed; Apple Store robbery; Time Capsule troubles

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

These TC failures area good example of why convergence isn't always good thing. My Airport Extreme gets hot enough as it is. I can't imagine how much hotter at TC must be with the power supply and hard drive all in the same small case along with the router. And if one part breaks, the whole thing becomes landfill.

I still want two maybe three. I got two 2TB WD Studio II but I want a secondary backup of the primary 2TB where my iTunes folder located. Looking to get a lot HD TV Shows like Smallville Season 9, Heroes Season 4 and Stargate Universe to say the least.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    I could swear that the Apple stores in my area use Kensington Locks on ALL units capable.

Can anyone else verify this?

I am talking the Tyson's Corner store in Mcclain VA and the Westfield Mall in Montgomery County MD.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

do not use Kensington locks?

They don't take long to cut through
  • Reply 24 of 42
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    its a well timed article.

my time capsule, bought in march 2008 died yesterday suddenly and without warning.

simply wont power up.

will apple replace this?????
  • Reply 25 of 42
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Marlton, New Jersey Apple Store robbed

Five thieves were captured on tape as they smashed a plate glass window in front of a New Jersey Apple store and ran out with tends of thousands of dollars in merchandise.

Anyone else experiencing a spinning colour wheel instead of the imbedded video? MB Pro (3,1) Snow Leopard, Quicktime X.

Regards.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    they open the first Microsoft store - then I'll break in, and in 31 seconds I will leave behind all the useless PC shit I own
  • Reply 27 of 42
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

they open the first Microsoft store - then I'll break in, and in 31 seconds I will leave behind all the useless PC shit I own

Is MS worth risking jail for?

Leave it all on the doorstep and who knows, you might start a trend (or movement even)!
  • Reply 28 of 42
    All products in the Apple Stores in CA are cable locked to the tables. You can still pick them up, but you won't go far with them. In the video, it did not look like any of the products were cable locked. They closed the lids and picked them up like they were just sitting there. Cable locks would have done much better than an unarmed security guard! Stupid mall, give the damn guard a gun! Right when they broke the glass, the guard could have pulled his weapon and ended that situation.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

I still want two maybe three. I got two 2TB WD Studio II but I want a secondary backup of the primary 2TB where my iTunes folder located. Looking to get a lot HD TV Shows like Smallville Season 9, Heroes Season 4 and Stargate Universe to say the least.

But why would you want 2-3 Time Capsules? Do you need 2-3 routers? If not, just get more regular external hard drives and save a ton of money.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    I bought my 1TB TC in early May 2008 and don't have the automatic backup enabled. Instead, every few days, I manually tell it to back up. I've noticed pre-/post- Leopard install on my Macs that it overheats and states that it overheats via the Airport Utility. I've backed up 4 times in the last two weeks and noticed it each time. The maximum amount of data (deltas) was less than 1.5GB.

I love Apple products, live a few blocks from the NYC 59th/5th store, and visit regularly as it is a quick stop on my walk home from work. Today, I had an appointment, had screen shots, displayed a strong conviction with why this was happening, and had a very nice Mac Genius listen to my story.

After 5 mins of reviewing the screen shots, asking me a standard set of questions, and making it very clear that the unit becomes hot to the touch (which of course is a no brainer), he exchanged for an refurbished first edition model.

Since it was out of warranty, he did me a big favor but, I would assume that this was rare that they would replace BUT not a rare problem.

Good Luck!
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

All products in the Apple Stores in CA are cable locked to the tables.

if by 'cable lock' you mean something like a notebook lock I'd use at the campus library, you're wrong. I have two Apple stores near me in Los Angeles, and neither uses anything of the sort. they have alarm cables attached to the ethernet ports and if you pulled hard enough they would come out, letting off a very loud alarm but if you do it fast enough in an empty store, you'd get out with a few things.

Quote:

Stupid mall, give the damn guard a gun! Right when they broke the glass, the guard could have pulled his weapon and ended that situation.

and made Apple and the Mall liable for any injury or death. don't see that happening.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timdonkers View Post

After 5 mins of reviewing the screen shots, asking me a standard set of questions, and making it very clear that the unit becomes hot to the touch (which of course is a no brainer), he exchanged for an refurbished first edition model.

they had the same model available (doubt they would have done it for a brand new current model) and I'm guessing you were not the screaming, cussing, give me what I want right now or I'll sue Apple, you and the horse you rode in on type. amazing what some polite behavior gets these days
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

But why would you want 2-3 Time Capsules? Do you need 2-3 routers? If not, just get more regular external hard drives and save a ton of money.

That's the logical solution. That doesn't always make sense on this board.

Time Capsule is supposed to be represent something you can pull up for 100's of years. Not 2 or 1 year when the "Time Capsule" is out of warranty or Apple upgrades their OS.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...the company's iPhone hardware kit will not be available for its previously announced summer release deadline...

First ATT with MMS and no tethering, now TomTom... seems the two biggest announcements during the June keynote - that were said to be here by "end of summer," are both two big FAILURES!! Makes Apple look bad even if it isn't their fault, it is their product the companies those chose to highlight and work with. Short term, next year, if anything is announced - some will question the given delivery date/time period.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    My TC died about a month ago. I bought it in October, 2008. For weeks, I had been getting the auto-popup Airport Utility with a message that the thing was "overheating." When I touched it, it was frying-pan hot. There were some problems with backups, as well as frequent loss of network connectivity.

The tech at the Apple store had never seen or heard of the overheating message, but he instantly walked out onto the store floor, grabbed a new Time Capsule - the upgraded kind with dual networking (mine was the older model) and handed it to me. Didn't even bother to test the old one.

That's why I buy Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by niji View Post

...will apple replace this?????

Pot luck, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't; seems to depend on the person you speak to, and you've more chance in the US than the UK; no idea about Japan.

In my experience Apple has a terrible track record of customer care and after-sales service.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Has it been confirmed yet if the TomTom kit has an FM transmitter? If it doesn't how do those who require one use it? (as existing FM transmitters plug into the dock connector)
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

TomTom has postponed the release of its iPhone hardware accessory kit until October

meh

I already have the best TomTom they make and it's my second one, don't need to pay $80 a month for a iPhone and the worsening AT&T phone service as the internet complaints are growing.

Once piece of advice, if a TomTom route takes you on a dirt road, no matter how nice or well traveled it appears, avoid it and reroute.

I got stuck in a foot of mud on a snowmobile trail in Maine (they look like roads with signs and everything) 26 miles from the nearest form of civilization and we had to spend overnight in the SUV before hiking out. Nice adventure.

Quote:

numerous users who bought a Time Capsule in early 2008 are reporting issues

Just clone your entire boot drive onto a external Firewire drive very two weeks, keep another clone spaced back a month. Keep important files backed up to DVD.

To save money and have more versatility, use a good multi-function external powered enclosure, costs about $40, then order the good drives online for less and put em in yourself. This way if the power supply dies, it's a rather simple process of getting another enclosure and moving the drive to that one. Unless the power supply fried your hard drive, then that's what the other clone is for.

Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy.

One or two clones per boot drive, same size or slightly bigger separate drives so you get hardware redundancy as well as software redundancy.

Backing up multiple computers to one drive is not a good idea.

Clones are bootable, and even if your Mac dies, the files and programs can be accessed from your new Mac. Don't use Filevault naturally or you end up with a cloned sparse image which can't be booted from or accessed easily.

Quote:

and an Apple Store robbery is caught on tape.

Apple has a few tricks up it's sleeve, but these guys won't be caught by them. It's going to be the unfortunate people who buy the stolen merchandise that's going to lose.

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

They don't take long to cut through

Yeah within 31 seconds I don't think so.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

How big is you 802.11n network? I put mine on a 5GHz frequency the one thing I really appreciate that Apple make simple is networking I rather just bridge the 2TB Time Capsules. I want 3 because 1 for iTunes folder, 2nd maybe for TV Shows from iTunes folder (I'm have a lot of HD TV Shows before year is over with!) and 3rd for MacBook Pro, Mac mini and possible 13" MacBook Pro. Remember that these Time Capsule will serve as my secondary backup to actually having the external hard drives connected. Right now I just got the Airport Express with 802.11n I got the Mac mini set to the 5GHz frequency but I got three HP Photo printers that are not on the network unless I use the current Netgear print Server but to do that I have to do 802.11g then unsecured that ticked me off because Netgear abandoned this so no more update to make it work I had to use a European designation because of Netgear glitch in their frequency range setting. This why I said Apple made networking plug and play. I'm also replacing those drive for two 4TB version.

• Reply 40 of 42
    So how much will this app be?

99 cents, 4.99?

I can't wait to see its performance while driving.