Unibody MacBook Pro - Replacing HD/Memory Voids Warranty!?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello -

I went to the Apple Store in Westfarms Mall in Connecticut tonight to purchase a 13" MacBook Pro. While talking to the representative I told him that I wanted to replace the hard drive. He stated that if I even removed the bottom panel, I would automatically void my warranty. I showed him Chapter 3 of user guide that comes with the MacBook Pro which outlines instructions on how to change the hard drive and memory. I also showed him on the same documentation on the apple site, http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...ch_Mid2009.pdf and the support for MacBook Pro for mid 2009's instructions on replacing the memory: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270 and replacing the hard drive: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/..._Drive_DIY.pdf

I questioned that the last document says DIY in the filename and how could that possibly void my warranty and he said that the technicians are told that any MacBook Pro that is brought in that has the bottom opened by anyone other than an Apple technician automatically has the warranty voided. When I asked for a copy of the warranty, it was not provided.

I stated that the Macbook user guide, has information about how to replace the memory, and if that was covered by warranty. Their response was that user replaceable Hard Drive and memory are covered on the Macbook only and not any of the unibody MacBook Pros.

If replacing the hard drive and memory is a void of warranty, then why is the documentation on how to do so online? Why are the instructions in Chapter 3 (called Boost Your MacBook Pro) in the user guide when you purchase the product? This information needs to be removed from the user guide, and the warranty needs to be stated.

If this is not the case, then will someone from Apple please contact their Apple store managers and technicians and set this story straight! Be aware, I talked to not one but three people there - one was a technician and manager, the other two customer representatives.

Please help! I would like to purchase a Macbook Pro, but not if I can't upgrade the hard drive and memory.

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    This thread should help:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=600384

People have had repairs done after replacing Ram and HDD. Unless Apple state in their documentation clearly that opening the machine voids the warranty, it's against the law for them to not uphold their warranty without proving that what you did caused damage to the machine.

Apple should make their policy clear to their staff and they obviously don't as you get different stories depending on the store you go to.

Some repair guys may claim the changes you made caused damage even if they are really far fetched. There was a case of a PC user whose enclosure repair was refused because they'd installed Linux and they claimed this meant it wasn't cooling properly even though the enclosure damage wasn't heat related.

My user guide says:

"If you open your Mac Mini or install items, you risk damaging your equipment, and such damage isn't covered by the limited warranty on your Mac Mini"

The warranty document says:

"This warranty does not apply to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an AASP"

Both seem pretty clear in that if you damage the machine while upgrading, they won't cover the damage. There is no mention that doing the upgrade voids the warranty. That being the case, it's illegal for them to refuse a repair unless they can prove the changes you made caused the damage.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Replacing the hard drive and RAM does not void the warranty. Period. End of story. I can't believe we keep having this discussion.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Replacing the hard drive and RAM does not void the warranty. Period. End of story. I can't believe we keep having this discussion.

We keep having this discussion because Apple store employees are saying it - when they stop saying it, the discussion will cease.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Update:

Called up customer service this morning - she checked with legal and tech support both. Everyone told her that replacing the hard drive and memory is indeed user replaceable. She even said it was DIY and if there was a problem with either hard drive or memory, they would ship out the parts to the customer to have them fix it themselves. She did say however, if I did something to the computer while trying to install either memory or hard drive, that I was responsible - I kinda figured that. What concerned me is the comment, "if you even remove one screw on the bottom of the macbook pro, you will automatically void the warranty".

She is going to contact the store to inform them of the situation.

It's the first time that I ever had such a run in with Apple store employees who clearly did not know what they were talking about. Concerns me a little that these are the same individuals I am taking the computer in for repair.

SCARY!!!

Andrew
  • Reply 5 of 5
    It's tricky question because it is known with what they told you is also the same for the Mac mini. That's why I didn't want to upgrade my 2009 Mac mini it look like if you do a DIY you can damage it more easily than the 2007 Mac mini. This I didn't want to take a chance with I don't mind paying Apple to install 4GB Kit for $100 better than trying to spend $800 on another Mac mini. All you said about the MacBook Pro is fine just honestly it will be a hassle if you did do a DIY on a MacBook Pro and had a problem because you can put the OEM memory and hard drive but then it be a even a more of a hassle to prove your point. \