10.6 install question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm thinking about erasing my HD and doing a complete re-install of OS 10.5 followed by 10.6.

Here's my question:

Can I just install OS 10.5 (without installing all of the 10.5.x updates and security updates) followed by installing 10.6 or do I have to install all of the 10.5 updates and stuff before I install 10.6?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I would do the latter because I'm guessing that is what the SL installer is best designed to do: to be installed on top of a mature, fully tricked out Leopard.

Don't forget to repair permissions in between.

But I wouldn't install SL just yet! Too many serious bugs! Better wait for an update or two.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I wouldn't bother installing 10.5. I would just install 10.6. And I agree with the previous poster that there are too many bugs. I can't believe Apple rushed this release so much. I can't even begin to understand how they screwed Snow Leopard up so bad if it was just a minor release. Problems with Finder, airport, Safari crashing, VPN, security holes in Java and Flash already... it's really astonishing. Makes my Windows 7 machine even more attractive. That thing is rock solid and works like a champ!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    But it's NOT a minor release.

From the user experience side, it was supposed to APPEAR minor, but as far as the actual code goes, it was a MAJOR upgrade.

I do think there are too many incompatibilities with older software though... at least for me to upgrade... yet.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I wouldn't bother installing 10.5. I would just install 10.6.

You can do this with the $29.00 box version? I thought it had to verify you already had 10.5?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

You can do this with the $29.00 box version? I thought it had to verify you already had 10.5?

Then you haven't been paying attention!

I kid !!! ... It's the same software on the disc ... only the EULA is different.

It would appear you already have 10.5, so you are perfectly within your rights to install 10.6... without re-installing 10.5 first.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Are you having some sort of problem that causes you to believe that an erase and install is necessary? If not, then this exercise is a colossal waste of time.

Upgrade and be happy. That's why you bought a Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Then you haven't been paying attention!

I kid !!! ... It's the same software on the disc ... only the EULA is different.

It would appear you already have 10.5, so you are perfectly within your rights to install 10.6... without re-installing 10.5 first.

Yes, I have a 100% legit copy of 10.5.

This is great news... I didn't want to wait around installing two OS's...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Are you having some sort of problem that causes you to believe that an erase and install is necessary? If not, then this exercise is a colossal waste of time.

Upgrade and be happy. That's why you bought a Mac.

I usually upgrade but this time I think I have to erase and install because I can't get boot camp to partition my disk. I think it's because the disk is close to being maxed out.

And there is one other issue I have that I think an erase and install will help with and that is with unknown users on some of my folders. I had a folder with 3GB of data that I was trying to back up to a DVD and it wouldn't let me. I had no idea why. I finally broke down and bought an Iomega external HD to back it up. But it wouldn't let me drag the folder to the HD (but I could drag items from inside the folder to the HD with no problem.)

I then tried what I thought was a stupid idea and that was create a new folder and drag the contents of the old folder into the new folder and then drag this to the external HD. Well it worked and I also verified I could burn a DVD now with this folder.

I did some searching and found that there are some issues related to this unknown user issue that is related to upgrading from 10.4 to 10.5. So I'm going to start from scratch.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Why not just try the upgrade first and see if it works for you?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Like sc_markt I tend to run out of disk space and have to replace the hard drives way too often. I use to just carbon copy the old drive to the new drive but there are apps and files that I seldom use or need. I will keep the old hard drive and do the clean install on a larger drive. A little extra work of reinstalling and peace of mind are hard to explain when you seldom have problems.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Reinstalling would never give me peace of mind. In ten years I've never done it. This is a solution looking for a problem.