Alleged first Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.1 details revealed

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have no idea but just maybe the Flash updates occurred after the production of the SL DVDs? It is not exactly Apple's job to worry about Flash anyway!

It's definitely not Apple's responsibility to worry about Adobe's software problems, and I'm pretty sure Apple did finalize the code before the new Flash was released. And it looks like Apple is including it in the update, at least from the latest info. I'm not even sure if that needs to be done, because I believe Flash checks for updates the first time you use it (or at least within 14 days). So most people should already be updated by the time 10.6.1 is actually released.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I wonder if 10.5.9 along with a final security update for Tiger will be released alongside 10.6.1? That was the case with 10.4.11 and the final security update for Panther shipping alongside 10.5.1.

I don't think we'll ever see a 10.5.9 release. Yeah, 10.4.11 dropped a couple of months after Leopard shipped, but last week Apple dropped 10.5.8 v1.1 for Leopard Server and it was NOT a small update. There were so many server-side fixes in that package that I think it probably would have normally been destined for a true point release had Apple chosen to make one on the client side.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Ever notice how the trolls magically appear, much like the Locust hordes in Gears of War, right after Apple releases something amazing?

Damage control for MS. You know, what Ballmer is doing constantly.

MS isn't in the habit of releasing "amazing" products. Trolling on Apple forums helps Windows sufferers feel more comfortable with the company - that has done essentially nothing of real value in the consumer sphere for the past decade apart from Xbox and . . . Office? And maybe Outlook syncing with Goole what's-its.

MS is a follower. You need to offset that harsh reality with something.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    I submitted a product feature request to Apple. They should be able to detect if a user's system can accommodate 64 bit kernel boot and create a System Preference option to turn on 64bit boot or 32bit boot mode. It would be that simple vs the hacks that are out there. Does it make a difference? I will leave that to the benchmark guys, but if I can boot in 64bit mode I should be able to without holding 6+4.

Also to note the problems I have had with SL install:

1. Mail - I had to set my SMTP to port 25 in order to send emails (that was weird).

2. Did a clean install of CS3 but when updating about 50% of the updates fail to install (that is weak Adobe) but others seem to install just fine. Mainly the apps update fine it is just the extra components. The installer just encounters errors with no explanation so I just skip to the next update.

3. For some reason my Final Cut Studio 3 clean install locked up half way through, but I was doing some other smaller app installs so the installer may have gotten confused. That is probably my fault. 2nd installation was clean and FCS 3 appears to be working flawlessly.

Everything else humming nicely.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    I might be asking a dumb question here but don't they test this software on different versions of Apple computers before releasing? And then fix whatever might be occurring?

The download worked fine on my new Macbook but on my sister's Pro (2 yrs old) she got a message that it couldn't be downloaded. Forgot the details but it was something with memory.

I am also not happy that the downgrade of Flash.

I think Apple dropped the ball on this one. \

I am going to call Snow Leopard the "fake update" from now on. We didn't even really get anything new...

(p.s.--before I get called a TROLL or something, let me make perfectly clear that I am generally pleased with my Apple products and will continue to purchase them...)
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

How do you turn a Rip on an obviously unstable OS release into a Response "30 million iPhones sold. Resounding disappointment.

They are two very separate issues and one has nothing to do with the other.

Actually, thats the exact reason one can blame the company for focusing too much on the iPhone and not enough on the OS. No?
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Ever notice how the trolls magically appear, much like the Locust hordes in Gears of War, right after Apple releases something amazing?

Wow, slow down. Amazing? Whats amazing about snow leopard?
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I was lazy, it worked. Thank you Sir.

NP, I have been testing Snow Leopard since the first Beta, and using as my main OS for about 4 months as it was uniquely complete and stable of an OS X Beta even back then. But after I installed the GM build I could no longer turn on and off my Airport. I didn?t think to remove the PLIST file, but was making it inactive and active from the System Preferences. I did try a reinstall of th OSand that didn?t work. Sometimes the simple and obvious things escape us.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10345768-37.html

Snow Leopard Apple's most compatible release ever

Mac OS X Snow Leopard has been available for one week, and for the most part, users are reporting very few problems upgrading.

While not everyone is thrilled with the way Apple handled the release, it turns out that Snow Leopard is Apple's most compatible operating system release ever. According to sources familiar with Snow Leopard's internal testing process, Apple kept an enormous amount of statistics on third-party application compatibility.

They said that Apple not only tracked many of the most widely-used apps, they tracked many of the shareware apps, as well. If an application exhibited problems, the developers were notified of the incompatibility and were offered help to make it Snow Leopard-compliant.

It's true that Apple did not offer a public beta of Snow Leopard, but it did expand the seed program with this release. Some large and small businesses, as well as individuals were included in the beta program for Snow Leopard. Of course, developers have access to the code through Apple's Developer Program, to test their apps through the entire process.

Apple began working with developers in June 2008, according to my source. This gave developers the maximum amount of time to check their apps against the new operating system.

While complete data was not available for this story, anecdotal evidence suggests that upgrade problems with Snow Leopard are not widespread.

That's not to say there aren't problems. CNET's Rafe Needleman found several apps that didn't work with the new operating system. Apple also posted a list of incompatible software on its support Web site.

BusinessWeek's Stephen Wildstrom feels that the compatibility problems with Snow Leopard are "widespread but not pervasive."

Wildstrom says that Apple should have done three things differently: it should have released a public beta; it should have provided a pre-upgrade compatibility checker; and he feels developers weren't given enough time with the finished code.