More details on Mac OS X 10.6.1 fixes and enhancements

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

This has been one of the more painful upgrades for me. Where my USB-attached HP Color Laserjet 1500L worked under Leopard, I can't find a driver nor get it to work under any of the other drivers with Snow Leopard. HP doesn't show this printer as either "supported" or "unsupported" for Snow Leopard. Rosetta has crashed me back to a relaunch of the Finder on several occasions with Microsoft Office v.X, and I can recreate the crash consistently using HP's ImageZone software for my Officejet 7110. My Mac now always reboots with the sound level set to "off" - not a huge thing, but annoying. Unsanity's FruitMenu and Windowshade don't work, and I've read where others are having problems with Logitech's Control Center software (which seems to work fine for me).

Side effects of an early upgrade.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    If Mac OS doesn't need uninstallers for applications, then neither does Windows. If you want to tell Mac users to "just drag the application to the trash", then Windows users can just go to Program Files and drag the folder of the application into the Recycle Bin. Windows users can just click on the Start menu > All Programs, right click on the application name and delete.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by avatar1632 View Post

Most programs -- anything that's just a drag-and-drop into /Applications, actually -- don't put stuff all over the place, other than the stray plist (and AppZapper finds those easily).

Not true. There are applications that install by drag and drop but when run for the first time, they automatically install files into various system folders all over the hard drive. EyeTV is one such example. So is Microsoft Office 2004.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:

The fact that most apps don't have an uninstaller at all is pure and simple poor decision-making on the part of the developer (yes, it may increase development costs initially, but it's largely reusable code so it's not like you're reinventing the wheel for each app you create).

I presume this applies to Apple's own applications as well?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

This has been one of the more painful upgrades for me. Where my USB-attached HP Color Laserjet 1500L worked under Leopard, I can't find a driver nor get it to work under any of the other drivers with Snow Leopard. HP doesn't show this printer as either "supported" or "unsupported" for Snow Leopard. Rosetta has crashed me back to a relaunch of the Finder on several occasions with Microsoft Office v.X, and I can recreate the crash consistently using HP's ImageZone software for my Officejet 7110. My Mac now always reboots with the sound level set to "off" - not a huge thing, but annoying. Unsanity's FruitMenu and Windowshade don't work, and I've read where others are having problems with Logitech's Control Center software (which seems to work fine for me).

May I suggest you backup your Users folder to another drive or a disk image, erase your hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch ? I think your Mac suffers from the third-party-extensions instability syndrome. Which extensions, I don’t know (and you don’t know too, otherwise you would not have these problems !)

For sure, Rosetta and Office 2004 work well here. As well as my LaserJet printer (although it is not Color).

HP ImageZone is incompatible and not supported by HP under Mac OS 10.5 and up.

Supported HP printers built in 10.6

More info from HP
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

Another thing I've notice that Expose and Space doesn't work as smooth as it was on Leopard...

That's interesting. Personally, I welcome the new changes to Expose. On my machine, it runs much more smoothly and with less lag than on 10.5. I really like the blue glowing outlines, the scaled windows, and especially the new effects re hot corners. I couldn't stand the alert sound that would play when I (inadvertently) went to my Expose corners when there were fewer than two windows. To each is own, I guess.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Maybe the fix that will make it so displays set to the darkest level don't revert to the brightest level on reboot will come in 10.6.2? This has been a problem in 10.5.8 also.

I had the same bug in 10.5.8 as well, but it's gone after upgrading to SL yesterday. While the upgrade in my unibody MacBook was all good, my late 2007 iMac was quite quirky afterwards. It wasn't that bad, but still. I did a clean install today and it's been sailing so far.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    If a Mac's logic board is replaced, will Time Machine be able to continue where previous backups left off, without requiring users to do command line tricks?
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

TimeMachine with FileVault: Disregarding the underlying "I want" syndrome here, if you want to understand why this simply isn't possible you should read up on it. Trying to do a backup of a FileVault directory while it's in use is like trying to change a flat tire on a moving vehicle when you can't see what you're doing. The only alternative is to copy the data unencrypted to the Time Machine disk and, presumably, you don't want that. Additionally, since FileVault doesn't use a sparsebundle, but a sparseimage, Time Machine would have to back up your entire home directory every time a single bit of data or metadata changed -- not good.

So assuming that is the only possible way to correctly back up a Filevault home directory, how does Time Machine work if the user wants to restore a single file from a Filevault home directory? If the only way to back a FileVault home directory is to copy the entire sparseimage when it is not in use, then wouldn't the only way to restore an item from a Filevault home directory be to replace the entire sparseimage when it is not in use? Does that mean the user has to log out, log in using a second account, then restore the entire Filevault sparseimage using Time Machine?
  • Reply 30 of 38
    This has also been one of the more difficult upgrades for me, which is disappointing for Apple and a 8 month old MacBook. When I first did the install it seemed to be great and Safari worked super fast. I turned it off that night b/c I was going to have it in my briefcase for awhile the next day. When I powered it back on is when the trouble started. I couldn't connect to any networks. IT came and tried to help but couldn't. All of my apps were super slow and usually would fail to open the first time. Scrolling through a window in Safari was juttery and took forever. When I got home it continued so I used the utilities in Snow Leopard to do a restore from my Time Capsule to before I installed SL. Now everything works great.

I guess I'll just wait another month or so and see if everything works itself out and then try again. I expect this type of stuff from Windows, not Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    "For sure, Rosetta and Office 2004 work well here. As well as my LaserJet printer (although it is not Color)."

Check out Apple's discussion forums. Lots of folks are having problems with Snow Leopard crashing into a blue screen and then back to a logon, dumping anything that was running. Apple's Console app will show you crash logs, but interestingly, they don't show the same ones that TattleTale System shows, and that are the crash logs involved with the WindowServer process. That may have something to do with the fact that Apple's automated Crash Reporter never pops up when this crash happens.

You also speculated that my problems may be because of extensions. That is not the case. I run a pretty stock system, and Unsanity's FruitMenu and WindowShade haxies were disabled because the underlying APE engine disabled itself already. My problems occurred when I tried to launch the installer to de-install all remnants of code and prefs, at which time the installer crashed.

As far as HP's ImageZone software, while it may not be supported, it does still work for the most part, allowing me to at least use my scanner. Thanks to HP's policy to shut off software upgrade support for their peripherals a few years after launch, HP printers have become little more than Bic lighters - you use them for awhile, and then you toss them. I will never buy another HP product again.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

If Mac OS doesn't need uninstallers for applications, then neither does Windows. If you want to tell Mac users to "just drag the application to the trash", then Windows users can just go to Program Files and drag the folder of the application into the Recycle Bin. Windows users can just click on the Start menu > All Programs, right click on the application name and delete.

Draggin a program to the trash works about 95 percent of the time. There are only a few programs that leave things in other places, however usually these files won't effect your system and don't take up that much room. Preference files are just text files. On windows, if you try to do this, the registry will have a fit with you. Dragging an app to the trash is much more doable on mac than windows.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Additionally, since FileVault doesn't use a sparsebundle, but a sparseimage, Time Machine would have to back up your entire home directory every time a single bit of data or metadata changed -- not good.

Off the top of my head, I recall that Time Machine requires your FileVault to be a sparsebundle. Mine is, and I had to convert it from a sparseimage when I went from Tiger to Leopard?specifically to use Time Machine.

Also, to get back a single file or folder (or a bunch) you don't have to restore the whole FileVault. you can mount the sparsebundle right from the backup volume and drag-copy whatever you want.

I don't agree that it would be impossible or impractical to have realtime Time Machine backup of FileVaults. I don't speak from direct knowledge but would imagine that recording fsevents as Time Machine does (to keep track of things as they change) would work for the blocks of a sparse bundle as it does for any other file. There must be a reason Apple does not do it (yet), and I suspect they will have it someday after they've really nailed the process. Well, one can hope.

Regards.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

I wonder if the graphic driver work includes support for cards other than the 9400M to use hardware-accelerated H.264 playback...because that would be fantastic.

+1

I have an iMac9,1 with the ATI Radeon HD 4850, and ATI says they are working on OpenCL with Apple...

"AMD?s ATI Radeon HD 4800 series found in high performance Macs complements Snow Leopard?s OpenCL"

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/22267/

ATI Radeon? HD 4850 - GPU Specifications at least indicates the capability of H.264 hardware acceleration...

http://ati.amd.com/products/Radeonhd4800/specs.html

I would also like to see more brightness range with the 4850 on the iMac.

I can adjust the brightness on my MBP3,1 (8600M GT) all the way from pitch-black to very bright (pitch-black useful when connecting to a high def TV). The range on the iMac is limited to say the least. This range limitation existed before Snow Leopard though.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Maybe the fix that will make it so displays set to the darkest level don't revert to the brightest level on reboot will come in 10.6.2? This has been a problem in 10.5.8 also.

Since upgrading to SL my late 2007 MBP3,1 now remembers the brightness level I previously had when I reboot. My newer iMac9,1 with Radeon HD 4850 didn't remember before the upgrade, and still doesn't after. And the brightness range is still just as limited.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Another little quirk I've noticed with SL on my iMac9,1 with Radeon HD 4850 is that I can't see the bottom row of controls and info when in iTunes (create a playlist, turn shuffle on or off, # of songs, etc.). It shows up just fine in SL on my late 2007 MBP3,1 with GeForce 8600M GT.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    I finally upgraded to the newest version of Adobe Flash (10.0.32.18) and now (no matter what browser, Firefox or Safari), websites that are heavily flash (rottentomatos.com, ign.com, espn.com) crash the browser. Maybe there is a reason that Apple shipped an older version of Flash with SL. The newer version might be causing issues and browser crashes.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

I finally upgraded to the newest version of Adobe Flash (10.0.32.18) and now (no matter what browser, Firefox or Safari), websites that are heavily flash (rottentomatos.com, ign.com, espn.com) crash the browser. Maybe there is a reason that Apple shipped an older version of Flash with SL. The newer version might be causing issues and browser crashes.

webpoet, try this-

Open your Applications folder, and then Utilities. Start up your Disk Utility. Select the appropriate hard drive, and then push the Repair Disk Permissions button. When I did this many repairs were listed during the process, all associated with the new Flash install I did. I've never had a single Safari crash afterwards.