OK, Tablet Fans. What do you think of this?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The Toshiba JournE

Is this a taste of the iProd?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/04/t...ionality-dedi/

C.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Lame.

The UI looks terrible and the hardware looks cheap.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Kind of a grueling demo. "Will the release model video out be less blurry?" "I will try to download Facebook...... it appears to have crashed." "Will it be more touch friendly?" "Yes, unfortunately, being based on Microsoft, the interface is...... but we will be improving it." Yeah, I guess so, since when the Windows CE UI stuff pops through the paint you've slapped on it, it's like getting shot in the face with the ugly gun.

I think this sort of thing would be the reason that Apple might release a tablet, if they do. The market is much like the smart phone market at the release of the iPhone, or the MP3 market before that. A bunch of cobbled together seeming junk with industrial design by the people who brought us the Pontiac Aztek.

None of the tablets on the market that I've seen seem to have a very defined purpose, they just sort of are. And now we're getting the "oh, I guess they should be sort of like big iPhones" models. If Apple can figure out how to make a device with a clear purpose, they can dominate yet another segment of mobile computing. Or, I should say, the can create yet another market after which copy cats can endlessly parade their "iTablet killers." "Oh", they'll say, "when Apple entered the market it was no trick to make big inroads because it was wide open. But now that they've given us a model to copy, game on!"
  • Reply 3 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I just read an article in the 8/27/09 issue of Electronic Design about a 1GHz Cortex A8 using 3/4 watt on a 65nm process. That is impressive if you ask me. Imagine if the next Touch from Apple had that as it's CPU, it would open up an entirely new round of apps.

Pretty hot in a cool way if you ask me. If this can be extended to 45nm it would be even better. The companies are www.arm.com, www.intrinsity.com & www.samsung.com. With tech like this Apple could have a high performance SoC running under 1.5 watts.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What the heck did I just watch. Don't provide me links anymore! /s
  • Reply 5 of 7
    The frame around that toshiba tablet screen is humongous
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The Toshiba JournE

C.

.......No.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The Toshiba JournE

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/04/t...ionality-dedi/

C.

You just identified the first victim of the new apple tablet.