Snow Leopard Menu Bar Issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

I just upgraded (using the upgrade disk) from Tiger to Snow Leopard and so far almost everythings working great, except for the menu bar.

First of all the spotlight icon appears and disappears sporadically. I can't click on it when it is there and have not been able to figure out a way to open spotlight yet.

Secondly, I cannot get the Time and Date to show up. Under System Preferences if I click "Show Date and Time in Menu Bar" box the computer gets the round bar and after a while it unchecks itself.

Third the iStat Menus won't work at all. If I try to click on it in Sys Pref I end up having to Force Quit the app.

I can understand iStat Menus not working right away considering 10.6 just came out, but the other ones are all apples apps and should be working.

Any help would be appreciated,

Shadow

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Try to do a clean install.

I have noticed that some people have issues in the upgrade reporting some weird stuff.

Regards
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I don't think he needs to do a complete re-install. His problems are menu-bar related, and iStat Menus modifies the menu bar. Hence I point my finger squarely at iStat Menus being the culprit.

Try uninstalling iStat Menus completely (find instructions on this page)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I don't think he needs to do a complete re-install. His problems are menu-bar related, and iStat Menus modifies the menu bar. Hence I point my finger squarely at iStat Menus being the culprit.

Ah thank you, uninstalling it worked beautifully. Thanks for your help!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Yes! You're absolutely correct! Here is the exact URL:

http://www.islayer.com/help/istatmenus/installing/

I love this little app and hope they get SL compatible ASAP. I've been noticing a lot of fan activity on my Santa Rosa MBP since installing SL and I can't check it the way I'm used to because of the incompatibility. Anyone else?

Meanwhile, thanks for the tip. You were exactly correct, but I wasn't able to launch the control panel. The URL will show you where the UNinstaller app lies and how to launch it manually.

AppleInsider rocks.

Mick
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoSpamMan View Post

I've been noticing a lot of fan activity on my Santa Rosa MBP since installing SL and I can't check it the way I'm used to because of the incompatibility. Anyone else?

I had that too, for a while. Go to /Applications/Utilities and open Activity Monitor, switch the pull-down at the top to "All Processes", and click the CPU column, having the program sort processes by CPU-intensity.

If it's anything like my case, you might find that "Flash Player (Safari plug-in)" is running at ridiculously high numbers. Try killing that process (or any process that's doing something similar, as long as you know it's safe). Not too shortly afterward, I heard that Adobe had some issues getting Flash fully Snow Leopard-ready, so it has a tendency to bloat.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

Ah thank you, uninstalling it worked beautifully. Thanks for your help!

Even though you problem was solved, people are going to continue posting random crap for a few pages.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I had that too, for a while. Go to /Applications/Utilities and open Activity Monitor, switch the pull-down at the top to "All Processes", and click the CPU column, having the program sort processes by CPU-intensity.

If it's anything like my case, you might find that "Flash Player (Safari plug-in)" is running at ridiculously high numbers. Try killing that process (or any process that's doing something similar, as long as you know it's safe). Not too shortly afterward, I heard that Adobe had some issues getting Flash fully Snow Leopard-ready, so it has a tendency to bloat.

I'll have a look next time that happens. I use Activity monitor all the time and love the way iStat menus will pull you in quickly. Can't wait for that app to be SL ready too.

Thanks, Karelia, and apologies for the minor thread hijacking...

Mick