Tiger/Snow Leopard Update Experience

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Could you please share your experiences updating to SL directly from Tiger using the standard install disc?

Apart from some of the generic upgrade-related problems that folks have been bringing up, are there any additional Tiger-specific issues to watch out for?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Make sure your software is compatible with Snow Leopard. That includes any 3rd party device drivers like MIDI drivers for any keyboards you might plug into Garageband, etc. Check your system hardware requirements as well. I haven't read about any problems while upgrading from Tiger other than the general observations that apply to all of SL.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Updated my 17" MBP last night. As usual, I did a simple upgrade. As usual, I had no problems. My one surprise is that my printer installation was gone. This was unexpected because my printer is a Xerox 8400DP, a PostScript printer. However, when I tried to reinstall the printer, the OS reached out to the Internet to download a new driver for my specific model and then installed it.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Installed SL on 17" MacBook Pro last night and encountered no problems whatsoever.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    I upgrades from Leopard to Snow Leopard, no problems, everything works. All my windows friends are now committing suicide wishing they had a mac. Windows sucks.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    While I guess your comment is helpful to sooo many people, it kinda is out of context (this thread being about upgrading from _Tiger_ to Snow Leopard, not Leopard to Snow Leopard) on two accounts (it not being about Windows either counts as the second). (Oh, just noticed you're banned. Sorry for this post, then.)
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Thanks all. Just finished mine, and worked superbly (49 minutes to install). The only thing you need to do right away after installation is to have it download and install Rosetta from the internet, prior to opening some of the older programs - but it prompts you to do that, and you only need to do it once. (Just to see whether and how it opens software, I went through all of the ones on my dock; all except Cisco VPN work fine).

iLife'08 and iWork'08 work fine as well. No printer issues, but have not tried Time Capsule/Time Machine backups yet. (That's for next weekend).

Overall, I am deeply impressed.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I installed Snow Leopard from Tiger last night after following the guide that LifeHacker put together. I have a 2.2gHz Macbook Pro circa 2007.

This is the same guide Wired linked to when they confirmed that a Tiger to Snow Leopard install would work just fine.

I backed up my hard drive to an external firewire drive and made a bootable clone using SuperDuper!. (I highly recommend the free version of that software. Very easy to use and the instructions are great, particularly if you're like me and have never made a bootable back up before.) I made sure that Tiger drive would boot up if Snow Leopard cause me harm and went forward with the install.

I have not had a chance to check on which programs work and which ones don't since my newborn decided it was bed time. And when he sleeps, we do So I'll update with any issues but I checked with snowleopard.wikidot.com for any that I use regularly before I even bought the disc.

But I can say that my Airport Extreme seems to be ok with the upgrade. It had to restart but after a few minutes, my wireless network was running ok. And since I bought the Family Pack, if all my printer drivers work fine, then I'll do the same thing on my wife's 2gHz Macbook later this week.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Thanks all. Just finished mine, and worked superbly (49 minutes to install). The only thing you need to do right away after installation is to have it download and install Rosetta from the internet, prior to opening some of the older programs - but it prompts you to do that, and you only need to do it once. (Just to see whether and how it opens software, I went through all of the ones on my dock; all except Cisco VPN work fine).

iLife'08 and iWork'08 work fine as well. No printer issues, but have not tried Time Capsule/Time Machine backups yet. (That's for next weekend).

Overall, I am deeply impressed.

Doesn't the disk give you the opportunity to include Rosetta when you start the install? It did for me and I just checked that box along with Quicktime 7.

I also kept all the language components, even though I'm not entirely sure why.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moo-shu cereal View Post

Doesn't the disk give you the opportunity to include Rosetta when you start the install?

No, it did not. But it was not such a big deal, since Rosetta took only a couple of minutes to install and there was no restart required. (It also was a nice confirmation that internet access via my Time Capsule was working well......)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    My HP 2600n isn't supported, and my GT Mac Connect software doesn't recognize my AT&T GT Ultra Express
  • Reply 11 of 14
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No, it did not. But it was not such a big deal, since Rosetta took only a couple of minutes to install and there was no restart required. (It also was a nice confirmation that internet access via my Time Capsule was working well......)

Yes it does. You click on the Customize button.

From their you can select Rosetta, Quicktime 7. You can also unclick languages and X11 speeding up the install and installing much less stuff that you don't need.

I will be attempting to update my moms iMac with Tiger next weekend. Hoping it goes as well as my update from Leopard.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcmac View Post

Yes it does. You click on the Customize button.

From their you can select Rosetta, Quicktime 7. You can also unclick languages and X11 speeding up the install and installing much less stuff that you don't need.

I will be attempting to update my moms iMac with Tiger next weekend. Hoping it goes as well as my update from Leopard.

Thanks! I forgot where in the install it asked for the Rosetta box.

Good luck with your mom's iMac. My update from Tiger went very smoothly with no hiccups during installation. Took about 40 min.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    In the custom install section of Snow Leopard you'll find printers and rosetta. Just click those and done. My printer has had no problem updating from tiger. I did reinstall the 34mm expresscard firmware and have had no problem with that as well.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfdan View Post

In the custom install section of Snow Leopard you'll find printers and rosetta. Just click those and done. My printer has had no problem updating from tiger. I did reinstall the 34mm expresscard firmware and have had no problem with that as well.

I wish I could say the same thing. My printer is not working but I am trying to access it wirelessly through my Airport Extreme network. I have an Epson Photo Stylus R1800 and have even updated the 10.6 drivers and software through Epson's site. Hopefully I can get it up and running but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd gladly try them.