Character Palette

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I don't know when the character palette was put into the menu bar in OS X, but I only use it maybe once a week, at best. But, every time I repair disk permissions, it seems as if it always has to fix a lot of permissions for it. Why is that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Because you keep breaking it? I dunno?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I don't know. Do you use a lot of Cocoa apps, one with the font panel built-in? If so, you might try dispensing with the input menu to access the character palette, and instead using the pop-up menu at the bottom of the fonts panel to call t up. I have no idea whether it will make a difference or not.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I was just wondering because I barely ever have to actually bring up the palette, but it always seems that repairing permissions takes like 10 lines fixing a bunch of different crap for it. It was just odd that's all.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    There is no reason I can imagine that your permissions would be changing spontaneously.

Are you regularly installing software or playing around with system hacks or "themes"? Do you have some custom network access setup for the Mac?

Would you care to post some lines of the repair log that apply to the char. palette?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    The only hack I really use is TinkerTool, and I've had that for the longest time, and have left the settings the same since. I have used themes, but I am not using one right now or for a while now, I think I've gone through and repaired permissions at least twice since the last time I used a theme. The only software I've installed lately has been Safari, iTerm (which I have found is pretty much useless), OmniDictionary, and Synergy.

I would post some of the lines from the repair log but I have since quit Disk Utility. Does it save the log somewhere?

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: iBrowse ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Typically, no, it doesn't save the log. You can, however, copy it right out when it runs and paste it here.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Well, that was a while ago, and disk utility has long been quit, so the next time that I repair permissions and notice it I'll do that. I've never had a problem with it, I just notice that I always see "blah blah blah CharPal blah" "blh blah blah CharacterPalette blah" whizzing by in the lines of text.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by iBrowse:

<strong>Well, that was a while ago, and disk utility has long been quit, so the next time that I repair permissions and notice it I'll do that. I've never had a problem with it, I just notice that I always see "blah blah blah CharPal blah" "blh blah blah CharacterPalette blah" whizzing by in the lines of text.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not exactly similar, but I had a odd glitch a little while ago with the Character Palette (it simply won't appear from the menu).

Trashing all Character Palette-related preferences and plists from ~/Library solved the problem. There were quite a few.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Noticing that 10.2.4 was running a bit slower I decided to repair permissions again. Here's the log Brad, it fixed the palette again, but I think there's usually a line or two more usually. I've only used the palette once since last time I posted about this.

[quote]2003-02-14 15:59:18 -0500 - Repair of privileges has started

Permissions differ on ./System/Library/Components/CharacterPalette.component/Contents/SharedSupport/CharPaletteServer.app/Contents/Frameworks/CharacterPalette.framework/Versions/A/Resources/CharPaletteCharInfo.dict, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are drw-r--r--

Owner and group corrected on ./System/Library/Components/CharacterPalette.component/Contents/SharedSupport/CharPaletteServer.app/Contents/Frameworks/CharacterPalette.framework/Versions/A/Resources/CharPaletteCharInfo.dict

Permissions corrected on ./System/Library/Components/CharacterPalette.component/Contents/SharedSupport/CharPaletteServer.app/Contents/Frameworks/CharacterPalette.framework/Versions/A/Resources/CharPaletteCharInfo.dict

<hr></blockquote>