Canon printer problems with Snow leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have two Macs.

An IMac upgraded to Snow leopard.

A Macbook still on regular leopard.

I have a canon MP620 multi function printer accessed over the network wirelessly.

Its only about 3 months old, is still being sold in the Apple store so I am assuming it should work

with Snow Leopard

It still works fine with Leopard based machine.

Does not work at all with The Snow leopard based machine.

When I try to print it suggests there is missing software.

So downloaded drivers from Apple and reapplied. Still no good.

There are loads of posts about printer issues with Snow leopard.

Is this a known issue ?

One clue is that when I installed Snow leopard the printer was offline?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

Did you have the printer on when you re-downloaded the driver? As I understand it, Snow Leopard looks at your computer and network and installs drivers for those printers it sees. If does not install drivers for printers it doesn't see.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Did you have the printer on when you re-downloaded the driver? As I understand it, Snow Leopard looks at your computer and network and installs drivers for those printers it sees. If does not install drivers for printers it doesn't see.

Thx for thoughts. No the printer was off , as mentioned in original post. Not helpful you cannot add the driver after the Snow leopard install. This means anyone buying a new Canon printer will have the problem. Would be nice if the install package came with a warning to have all devices on line. Guess the only solution is re-install Snow leopard and hope..
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Re-installedSnow Leopard with printer connected. Still no good. Says I need software. I have definitely loaded all the right software it just doesn't work with Snow Leopard. Anyone else had any luck ??
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

I have two Macs.

An IMac upgraded to Snow leopard.

A Macbook still on regular leopard.

I have a canon MP620 multi function printer accessed over the network wirelessly.

Its only about 3 months old, is still being sold in the Apple store so I am assuming it should work

with Snow Leopard

It still works fine with Leopard based machine.

Does not work at all with The Snow leopard based machine.

When I try to print it suggests there is missing software.

So downloaded drivers from Apple and reapplied. Still no good.

There are loads of posts about printer issues with Snow leopard.

Is this a known issue ?

From what I understand there is a bug with the driver detection which is listed in the 10.6.1 update notes; unfortunately you maybe looking at a couple of weeks before the problem is solved.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:

Re-installedSnow Leopard with printer connected. Still no good. Says I need software. I have definitely loaded all the right software it just doesn't work with Snow Leopard. Anyone else had any luck ??

Do a clean install of SL while the printer is running. I also heard that having dual high speed internet connections makes it more likely SL will find the drivers. Just for good measure also write CANON in large letters on a piece of paper and hang it in front of your computer so it doesn't forget to look for those drivers. Run a few laps around the house while installing.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Strange... I have the same Canon printer and I did an in-place upgrade to SL and I can still print... but not scan... i rarely scan so it won't really affect me, and I am sure Canon will have drivers out soon...

My my... here are new Canon drivers for the MP620B... posted 9/1.

Here are the drivers for the scanner.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Strange... I have the same Canon printer and I did an in-place upgrade to SL and I can still print... but not scan... i rarely scan so it won't really affect me, and I am sure Canon will have drivers out soon...

My my... here are new Canon drivers for the MP620B... posted 9/1.

Here are the drivers for the scanner.

No fair. No fair. You should have made him dig for it.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

No fair. No fair. You should have made him dig for it.

I know... I just too nice to do that.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Thx. I downloaded that print driver from Canon you pointed me to vs the one at the Apple support site and its printing. Will try scanning but am not optimistic if you cant get it to work. Thx again.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    of course the thing I didn't notice at first was that its printing red when it should be printing green but could be worse.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I had problems with the printer drivers myself, only not that model. The Snow Leopard print driver installer seemed to simply not have the drivers available. I installed the printer drivers from my old Leopard disk using the optional installer.