advice? upgrade from imac g5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an iMac G5 20" 1.8 with 2GB of RAM, running 10.4.11

I am a photographer, so my main use of the machine is Photoshop.

What I am wondering is...

How much faster would a MacbookPro 17" be than my current machine (in basic setup)

It would be very handy to be able to work on the move, and if I could get comparable performance I could be very happy

Obviously the current desktops are faster, but hey they all be slow again in a couple of years!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    The current MBP 17 runs circles around your iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Londor View Post

The current MBP 17 runs circles around your iMac.

I thought it might...

Is there a measure or is it just insider knowledge

ie opening and saving a 16-bit 150MB psd file (which can be slow on my machine)
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Why don't you just update your machine to 10.5.8? It is quite stable and it is in a much better shape than SL right about now. It is not like SL brings too many new user features into the mix. Of course if you want new hardware, then it depends on your purse.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Why don't you just update your machine to 10.5.8? It is quite stable and it is in a much better shape than SL right about now. It is not like SL brings too many new user features into the mix. Of course if you want new hardware, then it depends on your purse.

would a software update really improve performance that much??

I didn't notice any real improvements in speed with the last few updates I made....
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Apple doesn't sell OS X 10.5 anymore and Amazon lists it as "unavailable".

About the hardware, I think the OP would find a new MacBook Pro or iMac to run 2 or 3 times as fast as his G5 iMac. Not to be overlooked is that you can buy the better 15" MacBook Pro + a monitor for less than the cost of a new 17" MacBook Pro. Essentially all you give up is the ExpressCard 34 slot and it's doubtful an iMac owner has any ExpressCards anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    An OS upgrade might speed up the system operations by a few %, but it won't make PS run any faster. A new machine will definitely make PS run faster. 2x what your G5 does... that sounds likely... 3x might be a stretch
  • Reply 7 of 14
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaybee View Post

I thought it might...

Is there a measure or is it just insider knowledge

ie opening and saving a 16-bit 150MB psd file (which can be slow on my machine)

I used to have a PowerMac G5 1.8 DP and my 2.33 MBP 15" is considerably faster than the PowerMac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

A new machine will definitely make PS run faster. 2x what your G5 does... that sounds likely... 3x might be a stretch

In GeekBench (benchmark for processor and memory) the iMac G5 1.8 has a score of 996 and the current MBP 17" scores 3764.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/mac-benchmarks/
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

In GeekBench (benchmark for processor and memory) the iMac G5 1.8 has a score of 996 and the current MBP 17" scores 3764.

That doesn't mean that the end users PERCEIVED speed increase will be 3.7x what he's used to though. Sure, the actual encoding process will be close to that for tasks that use nearly all of ones CPU. But there's so much idle time during most peoples workflow (CPU idle)... that it'll SEEM perhaps 2x as fast...

I agree though, that the new machines smoke a G5... probably even with one CPU tied behind their circuit board
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Apple doesn't sell OS X 10.5 anymore and Amazon lists it as "unavailable".

About the hardware, I think the OP would find a new MacBook Pro or iMac to run 2 or 3 times as fast as his G5 iMac. Not to be overlooked is that you can buy the better 15" MacBook Pro + a monitor for less than the cost of a new 17" MacBook Pro. Essentially all you give up is the ExpressCard 34 slot and it's doubtful an iMac owner has any ExpressCards anyway.

why is the 15" better...??

you're right about the expresscard (I don't even know what it is!!)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

I used to have a PowerMac G5 1.8 DP and my 2.33 MBP 15" is considerably faster than the PowerMac.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/mac-benchmarks/

thanks for that!!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    hmmm

express card looks mighty useful, extra fw800 ports would be very useful as i use fw external HD's and fw flashcard readers

still let me know why you'd go for the 15" ahead of the 17" with only 150 in the difference I thought the extra screen size was well worth it

Jay
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I had the old iMac G5 and any of the new machines will leave it in the dust.

As for size, real estate is great, but a 17", in my opinion, is pretty large to lug around regularly and far. You can always get an external display:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=Nzk2MDk4NQ

Then you have a very portable machine while on the move and a large display when at home.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaybee View Post

why is the 15" better...??

you're right about the expresscard (I don't even know what it is!!)

I meant the better of the three 15" MBP models. Actually, you could go with the middle model with an MSRP of $1999 or the "better" 15" model with an MSRP of $2299.

Certainly if you get the $1999 model you are way below the $2499 MSRP of the 17" MBP, leaving plenty of funds left over for that 24" monitor or whatever you wish to get. The $2299 model still gives you $200 to play with and all you've lost is the ExpressCard slot.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I still have and use a 2.1GHz iMac G5. I also have an aluminum macbook 13". They are both fast enough for most of the things I do, to be honest. The only real deficiency is Flash, but I have Safari set up to disable most Flash (I hate that shit).

I am waiting for the next iMac revision, and then I will upgrade.