Will base Mini ever get 2Gb RAM?

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by copeland View Post


    As for the Mini I wouldn't hold my breath. Apple neglected the Mini for about 2 years before they revamped it in March.



    this is very true but I'm really hoping for a reformed Apple. After the surprise MBP update I'm really hoping Apple is entering a new period of agressiveness with respect to hardware updates. I would doubt an update early in September as that is obviously iPod ramp up time. On the other hand I could see a minimal update for the Christmas season.

    Quote:

    But as Wizard said: We are talking about Apple - You never know!



    Exactly! The consummer never knows. What we do know is that the value in Apple hardware gets rather bad after eight or so months. Thus as this potential buyer notes the 1GB supplied with the Mini is now a joke.



    Combine this with all the new tech that could potentially go into a new Mini and it is again a bad time to invest. This is a big fear of mine right now, intel and Nvidia have a lot of new hardware coming on line soon or is already here, thus Apples hardware line up could change drastically. This may make room for a significant Mini bump.

    Quote:

    For your use the current Mini should more than enough. I bought one in April and upgraded the RAM to 4 Gigs for ? 50.-. You should have the Mini at 2 Gigs at least. There was quite some difference. Futhermore if you have 2 Gigs the graphics card will use double the RAM than it is using when you have just 1 Gig avoilable.



    Yep at this point 2 GB should be the minimal amount. I'm still of the opinion that going to 4GB is worthwhile due to the low price of RAM.

    To the original poster consider purchasing from a local dealler that will install more reasonably priced RAM for you. They have improved the Mini enough to make that update a bit easier. It is really a shame to have to buy RAM from Apple at their prices. A good independant dealer ought to be able to support you at a lower cost.





    Dave
  • Reply 22 of 40
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I'll check the prices from macmall, etc. If bumping up to 4Gb isn't that expensive I may just do that.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

    Exactly! The consummer never knows. What we do know is that the value in Apple hardware gets rather bad after eight or so months. Thus as this potential buyer notes the 1GB supplied with the Mini is now a joke.



    It was ridiculous when it was updated. I considered buying one, but the idea of going in and sticking in RAM scared me away. I'm sure I COULD do it, I've replaced RAM before, but $600 should get you at least 2 GB.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foodmetaphors View Post


    It was ridiculous when it was updated. I considered buying one, but the idea of going in and sticking in RAM scared me away. I'm sure I COULD do it, I've replaced RAM before, but $600 should get you at least 2 GB.



    That just makes the value even worst today when DRAM prices are extremely low. I understand the want if a new Mini but I'm appalled by the current value equation. I'm just hopeful that Apple corrects that soon.





    Dave
  • Reply 25 of 40
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Didn't Apple have a site where people can give our opinions and comments? Do they still have it?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I expect the next speedbump will have the Mini at 2GB in the base configuration. I will no longer buy anything with less than 4GB.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    The question is, when will the next speed bump be? If its in 2 months I can wait, but by the end of december I want to get something to replace my long in the tooth ibook.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post


    I'm surprised Apple hasn't quietly bumped up the base RAM on the Mini to 2Gb. Its ridiculous to have any computer come with only 1Gb RAM, IMO



    No it is not ridiculous. Snow Leopard will run on a mac with 128 MB of RAM. Only windows requires 2 GB.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post


    No it is not ridiculous. Snow Leopard will run on a mac with 128 MB of RAM.



    No it won't. It requires 1 GiB, minimum.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/macmini.html



    I just wrote to them about the RAM issue. Anyone here who agrees that it should be 2GB standard please also write to Apple. It worked for the Macbook, maybe it will work for the Mini.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post


    http://www.apple.com/feedback/macmini.html



    I just wrote to them about the RAM issue. Anyone here who agrees that it should be 2GB standard please also write to Apple. It worked for the Macbook, maybe it will work for the Mini.



    I'm not sure if writing will help all that much. In any event if you went to all that trouble why not ask for 4GB. The price difference isn't all that great anymore. I understand that the user doesn't need massive amounts of RAM right now, but having Apple supply a 4GB base machine means a long life on the desktop. That is lots of RAM is cheap insurance against future app bloat. 4GB should have much of an impact on the Minis price either.



    I guess the problem with the Mini is that Apple has been extremely stingy with the configuration of this unit. Considering Minis current selling price 4GB would not be a problem. All Apple needs to be is more responsive to consummer demands. So ask for a lot and take what we get.







    Dave
  • Reply 32 of 40
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Apple likes to get add-ons so I don't think they would ever go for 4Gb, but it can't hurt to ask!
  • Reply 33 of 40
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    There is no way the base configuration Mac Mini will go from 1GB to 4GB in a single step. The best we can hope for with the next speedbump would be 2GB in the base configuration and 4GB in the high-end configuration. Perhaps we might then get to a 4GB base configuration with the following speedbump, by which time the Mac Mini would have an Arrandale processor.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post


    Will base Mini ever get 2Gb RAM?



    Yes, it will.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post


    There is no way the base configuration Mac Mini will go from 1GB to 4GB in a single step.



    A year or two ago I would have agreeded with you. However time only moves forward and that also more or less applies to technology.



    On the Mini I see apple holding on Core 2 for atleast one more rev. Thus they can derive massive benefit for little cost by going to 4GB. Is it a given, NO, but it is an easy path for Apple to follow. It would give the Mini the ability to sustain itself for another six months.

    Quote:

    The best we can hope for with the next speedbump would be 2GB in the base configuration and 4GB in the high-end configuration.



    No, in the current model the best we could hope for is 8GB. To want to see 4GB is simply acknowliging the current state of the component hardware market. The point is Apple could easily go to 4GB without impacting their margins.

    Quote:

    Perhaps we might then get to a 4GB base configuration with the following speedbump, by which time the Mac Mini would have an Arrandale processor.



    Well that is certainly the power of negative thinking at work. By the time we get to Arrandale 4GB of memory is going to look punny.



    Now note this assumes that the next Mini is a minor spec bump. Life would be more interesting if the next Rev based on Arrandale. If that is a reality it would be foolish for Apple to offer the machine without 4GB.





    Dave
  • Reply 36 of 40
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    A year or two ago I would have agreeded with you. However time only moves forward and that also more or less applies to technology.



    On the Mini I see apple holding on Core 2 for atleast one more rev. Thus they can derive massive benefit for little cost by going to 4GB. Is it a given, NO, but it is an easy path for Apple to follow. It would give the Mini the ability to sustain itself for another six months.



    No, in the current model the best we could hope for is 8GB. To want to see 4GB is simply acknowliging the current state of the component hardware market. The point is Apple could easily go to 4GB without impacting their margins.





    Well that is certainly the power of negative thinking at work. By the time we get to Arrandale 4GB of memory is going to look punny.



    Now note this assumes that the next Mini is a minor spec bump. Life would be more interesting if the next Rev based on Arrandale. If that is a reality it would be foolish for Apple to offer the machine without 4GB.





    Dave



    I don't think so Dave. Stating that the Mac mini should be offered exclusively in 4GB and 8GB configurations at the current price is daydreaming. Due to the mobile nature of the components it uses, the Mac mini is probably the Mac with the lowest margins already. If Apple chooses to keep the Mac mini for another round, I think that it will be updated sometime late Q1 2010 with arrandale cpus and probably 2GB of RAM standard (up to 8GB). I would prefer to see 2 configurations with 2GB of RAM and 2 cpu speeds than 2 configurations with the same cpu but different RAM/storage specs (both can be - more or less - easily upgraded, but not the cpu). I expect the next Mac mini to have similar specs as the current low-end 13" MBP: 2.26GHz cpu, 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM, iGPU or low-end dGPU.



    The reality is that Apple is currently offering all its low-end models with less than 4GB:

    13" MB = 2GB

    13" MBP = 2GB

    13" MBA = 2GB

    20" iMac = 2GB

    Mac Pro = 3GB

    Until all of those models start shipping with 4GB+ standard, I don't see the Mac mini getting the same treatment.



    "4GB of memory is going to look puny." Come on, man. Get real.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I also don't think we'll ever see the Mini with 4Gb standard, but I also don't understand why the margins are low on this computer. It's only $300 less than the iMac which has a 20" LCD in addition to better specs and a camera.

    I would think Apple is making a good amount of money on the Mini and they shouldn't be so cheap on the specs, IMO.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post


    I also don't think we'll ever see the Mini with 4Gb standard



    Never say never. Remember, the iMac used to come with 32MB of RAM. Granted, that was eleven years ago, but it shows that all it takes is time. Only three years ago, the iMac only came standard with 512MB or RAM, now it has four to eight times that much. Assuming the mini doesn't get axed in the next few years, it will surely reach 4GB standard. Eventually, it will have to.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post


    But I also don't understand why the margins are low on this computer. It's only $300 less than the iMac which has a 20" LCD in addition to better specs and a camera.

    I would think Apple is making a good amount of money on the Mini and they shouldn't be so cheap on the specs, IMO.



    There's more involved than just specs. The mini is a LOT smaller, and it has to contain everything the iMac has, sans the LCD. Laptop-sized hard drives are more expensive, as are ultra-slim DVD drives. And it costs a lot to miniaturize the logic board to the size of the mini. The iMac has, relatively, a lot of room to work with. The mini on the other hand, is crammed to the brim.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post


    Thanks. I guess I'll order the base Mini with 2Gb then. Just waiting to make sure 10.6 is preloaded. I was hoping they would bump up the base RAM but Im tired of waiting and its just $60 more anyway.

    Now, what monitor to get? I don't need anything bigger than a 17 inch LCD but most are 19 inch now. I really dont want widescreen either. Decisions decisions.



    Get a matte 20" screen. It will have to be 16:10. Even worse most screens are 16:9 nowadays. Samsung is a good brand IMO but you got to research the models. Dell has some good stuff but again you got to go for the right models. Sorry I don't have more details.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    I've been researching samsung, NEC, and Acer. Not sure which model to get yet and I have to make sure the frame isn't glossy because I hate glare.
Sign In or Register to comment.