Apple approves Commodore 64 emulator for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    Sweet nostalgia... A bit bitter one, though... I was damn more productive on those machines...
  • Reply 42 of 66
    what is more interesting news is this link

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14681...oughout_europe

Apple are not trying to be monopoly in Europe anyway.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    Anyone else remember the books on programming for the ZX Spectrum that had pages and pages of Assembly code in there for games? I actually keyed in all those pages for a game or two. Sinclair Spectrum was the best. Of course, I never owned an Amiga, but meh! BTW, http://www.worldofspectrum.org/
  • Reply 44 of 66
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Yeah I know what you mean. I started on a Sinclair ZX81, then the Spectrum, then a CBM Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, multiple PC's from the 486 era onwards and finally Macs from 2005.

For all I love my Macs now, I look back so fondly at those old machines that I'd like to see some emulated (the ZX81 and Spectrum are well emulated already).

This will get me flamed on this website, but I still think the Amiga was at the time the greatest computer available - a simply stunning machine.

Utter nonsense. The greatest machine of all time is clearly the Acorn Archimedes. Without it, you wouldn't have a nice ARM in your iPhone.

Personally, I'm waiting for the BBC Micro emulator. I need to get some original Elite and Citadel action going (Hmmm, CH."Elite").

My personal computer journey: ZX81 => BBC Model B (yup, middle class household) => Acorn Archimedes A420 (with stonking 20MB hard disc) and Cambridge Computer Z88 (look it up) => Random 486 => Random PIII => Sony Vaio Z1 => MacBook Pro

Hated the PCs (well, loved the Z1 hardware, hated the way it 'worked'), loved all the others.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    A Commodore 64 emulator on the iPhone? Generally a great idea, but thanks, I'll pass. The whole thing is completely redundant if you cannot upload your own disk images and are dependant on what games the developers of the emulator feed you with.

So, I'm all for the C64 emulator, but only if I can upload my own disk images.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

At what time in this video does it say that? I'm not questioning whether it's in there or not, I simply haven't found it.

You can also check out the app itself in the app store. One of the screen shots is exactly the part where the message appears. Much easier to see there.

Edit: I'd also like to take the opportunity to apologise for some of the tone of my posts on this forum yesterday. I don't think I approached the mean-ness of some others but yesterday was a bitchy day for most everyone it seems. The forums were full of vitriol and almost everyone seemed to be in a foul mood. All over a couple of typos in an article!

Perhaps the planets were in the wrong alignment or something.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You can also check out the app itself in the app store. One of the screen shots is exactly the part where the message appears. Much easier to see there.

Edit: I'd also like to take the opportunity to apologise for some of the tone of my posts on this forum yesterday. I don't think I approached the mean-ness of some others but yesterday was a bitchy day for most everyone it seems. The forums were full of vitriol and almost everyone seemed to be in a foul mood. All over a couple of typos in an article!

No need to apologize, you were right to call us out on it. Still, even with the correction, it was a perplexing comment.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    The article states that the C-64 sold for $600, but I remember paying only $299 for mine. The monitor and the disc drive cost nearly as much, IIRC. I still have all of this stuff in my garage, in the original packaging. Collector's item or techno-junk?
  • Reply 49 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Utter nonsense. The greatest machine of all time is clearly the Acorn Archimedes. Without it, you wouldn't have a nice ARM in your iPhone.

Personally, I'm waiting for the BBC Micro emulator. I need to get some original Elite and Citadel action going (Hmmm, CH."Elite").

My personal computer journey: ZX81 => BBC Model B (yup, middle class household) => Acorn Archimedes A420 (with stonking 20MB hard disc) and Cambridge Computer Z88 (look it up) => Random 486 => Random PIII => Sony Vaio Z1 => MacBook Pro

Hated the PCs (well, loved the Z1 hardware, hated the way it 'worked'), loved all the others.

No argument from me about the Archimedes - great computer. The BBC Micro was fantastic too.

For the Brits, who constantly like to do themselves down, it should be something of a source of pride that the design of most of the worlds embedded microprocessors are done by the people who created those great machines.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I had TI-994A at the time the Vic20 and Commodore 64 were on the market. The games for the TI were neat at the time but I couldn't care less to revisit them. I wasted enough time as a kid playing them.

Hello, folks, I am new to this forum because I got my new iPhone 3GS for first time.

For my personal computer history, I first used Apple ][ w/Applesoft BASIC (in school), TI-99/4A, VAX (in school), DECsystem10 (in school), Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200HD, IBM mainframe (at work) and finally multiple PCs (as current desktop/laptops). For mobile computer, I first used Sidekick Color, Sidekick 2, T-mobile MDA, Cingular 8525, and finally iPhone 3GS 16GB.

In near future, my plan will be MacBook pro as next laptop, Apple tablet, etc.

For this Commodore 64 emulator, I am concerned about iPhone SDK that does not allow user programming in that iPhone. That's why I will not purchase any iPhone emulator apps with disabled BASIC interpreter, etc. I recently checked Apps Store and noticed that some complaint about BASIC interpreter is inaccessible and gave 1 star. If iPhone developers provides true emulators with programming support, I will purchase that. That's why I have MESS emulator on my desktop computer instead.

For Mac desktop/laptop computers, there are many emulators like SDL MESS.

Thanks,

Sword7
  • Reply 51 of 66
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Only computer that i've ever used that never crashed on me.

Joined a C64 club a few years ago... they actually got the things surfing the net. Stay away from any sites with pictures thou, extremely slow.

If you want hundreds of games, just go to a torrent site. I'm pretty sure they are free domain now.

However, the games just aren't the same without a joystick.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Yeah I know what you mean. I started on a Sinclair ZX81, then the Spectrum, then a CBM Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, multiple PC's from the 486 era onwards and finally Macs from 2005.

For all I love my Macs now, I look back so fondly at those old machines that I'd like to see some emulated (the ZX81 and Spectrum are well emulated already).

This will get me flamed on this website, but I still think the Amiga was at the time the greatest computer available - a simply stunning machine.

I agree. I still have several Amiga 4000s. Commodore couldn't, or wouldn't, market its way out of a paper bag but its hardware was often a decade ahead of PCs or Macs.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Yeah. I remember my Commodore 64 fondly. I still use the monitor today and it still works!

But I never heard of any of these games, and hardly played games at all on it anyway. Emulating the word processor, or some of the drawing programs, or providing a way to load programs onto it that aren't bought through the Apple store would be far more useful.

I had a 3D wireframe drawing program that I still have object files for that I spent hundreds of hours creating and probably a few disks of word processing files that I wouldn't mind seeing again, although I can't even remember the name of the program now.

Yes! I want my Paperclip Word Processor back (on an iPodTouch yet)!! It changed my life (and made secretaries who hate retyping happily move into being administrative assistants, or less happily into data entry jobs).

I also seem to remember it being kind of HTML-like, e.g., in placing "start bold" and "end bold" tag-like thingies, tho' the image is hazy in my mind. But the sense of possibility it opened up of never losing a resuable, multi-transmittable keystroke ever again remains fresh as yesterday....

A note on reduncancy: I doubt you'd "still use the monitor today" if it didn't "still work." But then whadda I know....??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

For those that don't know, [sic] is supposed to mean "this is exactly what they said", usually so the person doing the quoting is aware that there is a question about the original quote. It's usually used when there are grammar or spelling issues. It is spelled and used properly but Prince seems to think that a much less logical and conventional word was intended

Most of the people who use "[sic]" in my experience seem rather, uhh, intense, if not disturbed, and often don't seem to know what THEY mean by it exactly in their often weird writing.

So to me, it generally means the [sic] user is more like "sick" (in da cabasa).

Meanwhile, for Ireland (below) maybe a case of "sic transit gloria"..........?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, but the type of gloss on the buttons on the iTunes Store!? Flip that.

at 7993, looks like you're aiming for the 8,000 post mark today. But it is a holiday, so maybe tomorrow's more appropriate?

We'll throw a [sic] "post party" for you. Unless that shouldn't happen until 10K.....
  • Reply 54 of 66
    You can already get Adventure (from the Atari 2600) on the iPhone and it doesn't require an emulator. Wouldn't it be easier to just make the games for the iPhone instead of doing some kind of C64 emulation program?
  • Reply 55 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You can already get Adventure (from the Atari 2600) on the iPhone and it doesn't require an emulator. Wouldn't it be easier to just make the games for the iPhone instead of doing some kind of C64 emulation program?

i bought the emulator to see what it was like (and have some retro fun bringing back gaming memories) and i feel the same, i would rather just buy games than games that need to run an emulator to start with. Or at least let give the app for free instead of use it as a way of charging for the app the each game ,never mind i did enjoy jac attack and lemans, i hope they just release loads of games now......
  • Reply 56 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sermon View Post

A Commodore 64 emulator on the iPhone? Generally a great idea, but thanks, I'll pass. The whole thing is completely redundant if you cannot upload your own disk images and are dependant on what games the developers of the emulator feed you with.

So, I'm all for the C64 emulator, but only if I can upload my own disk images.

As I have already posted earlier you can indeed upload your own disk images.. I have it working perfectly.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Call me when they get "Boulderdash" up and running!
  • Reply 58 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Call me when they get "Boulderdash" up and running!

*Ring* *Ring*

Boulderdash up and running! :P

I haven't tried all the varients but I have the stock Boulderdash working. Also have Beach Head, Slapfight, Bubble Bobble , Last Ninja, Blue Max, Raid over Moscow and Defender of The Crown. Although I am having trouble working out how to get it to use the second disc for Defender of The Crown.

I enabled full 1541 Emulation and that got it to fully load the first disc but I am getting stuck at Flip Disc.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    Zaxon - thanks so much for sharing your find !!!

I loaded iphonebrowser but I cant find the .d64 files?

Do you need a jailbroken phone to see them?

Thanks again.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    Speaking of despair, did anyone else catch that one c64 soccer (football) player in the light blue jersey, just standing in the corner, looking at the ground, not moving? What a sad digital man