Safari menu

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Until yesterday, when the Safari icon in the dock was right-clicked, a menu popped up that had "new window" in it. Yesterday, the menu changed and "new window" isn't one of the options.

How can I get the old menu back?

Another menu change occurred a while back. When right-clicking on a page, the menu contained 'copy', 'paste', 'select all', etc. "Select all" disappeared from the menu (it's still in the tool bar under "Edit".) Is is possible to edit the right-click menus?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Until yesterday, when the Safari icon in the dock was right-clicked, a menu popped up that had "new window" in it. Yesterday, the menu changed and "new window" isn't one of the options.

"Right-click"...?

Are you running Safari for Windows perhaps?

If so, I'm not sure you'll find an answer on an Apple site then...

If you're running Safari in OSX, though: goto Preferences/General/New windows open with:, and choose your preferred setting from the choices.

Quote:

Another menu change occurred a while back. When right-clicking on a page, the menu contained 'copy', 'paste', 'select all', etc. "Select all" disappeared from the menu (it's still in the tool bar under "Edit".)

Same here when I Control-click (Mac one button mouse equivalent of right-click) in a typable area on a browser page in OSX.5.8: no Select All. Yes Cut, Copy, Paste, and a bunch of other options. So that jives if your on the same OSX and Safari (4.0.3) versions. I don't recall if it was or wasn't there in previous versions, though. Probably because I hardly ever use 'right-click' (Control-click on a Mac with one button mouse).

Quote:

Is is possible to edit the right-click menus?

Not at user level, afaik.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

"Right-click"...?

If you're running Safari in OSX, though: goto Preferences/General/New windows open with:, and choose your preferred setting from the choices.

Same here when I Control-click (Mac one button mouse equivalent of right-click) in a typable area on a browser page in OSX.5.8: no Select All. Yes Cut, Copy, Paste, and a bunch of other options. So that jives if your on the same OSX and Safari (4.0.3) versions. I don't recall if it was or wasn't there in previous versions, though. Probably because I hardly ever use 'right-click' (Control-click on a Mac with one button mouse).

I use an eight button Logitech mouse. I'm running Safari in OSX. It's possible that "Select All" was an option in an earlier OS version (maybe Panther - I'm running Tiger). 'New Windows Open With' doesn't do anything about the Safari dock icon menu on my computer.

I'm going to try dumping Safari and downloading it again.

Edit: Eureka!! That worked. Now if only I could get 'Select All' back.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    [QUOTE=Rokcet Scientist;1477007]
    Quote:

"Right-click"...?

If so, I'm not sure you'll find an answer on an Apple site then...

Not at user level, afaik.

The Mac OS has supported multi-button mice for a very, very long time. Pre OS X. The mighty mouse is a multi-button mouse and the Track Pad does two finger clicks as right-button clicks right out of the box.

You are missing an awful lot by not using contextual menus. If you're using a mighty mouse turn on its right button, and if not, go get yourself a multi-button mouse. You'll find that you'll be using and liking contextual menus. With Snow Leopard, services has been added to contextual menus. That is reason enough to start using right clicks and contextual menus.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

the Track Pad does two finger clicks as right-button clicks right out of the box.

Yeay! That's a useful one! It apparently got past me until now. Cheers, again, aresee.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Yeay! That's a useful one! It apparently got past me until now. Cheers, again, aresee.

Check Trackpad in System Preferences. There are videos and click boxes of several different finger gestures that you might want to checkout.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Since downloading Safari again, I have a new problem. All of the sites in the Bookmark bar show up as tabs and begin opening. This doesn't leave any room for sites I visit. Of course, I can go to the 'double arrow' and find those sites, but that's a pain.

I have tried changing to "Open links from applications" In a New Window. No joy. I downloaded Safari again. Same problem. This is weird. Any suggestions.

I may have to dump Safari and use FireFox or Opera.

Edit: Belay the above. Somehow Preferences got changed to: 'New windows open with: Tabs for Bookmarks bar. Changing that made the problem go away.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Quote:

Not that it matters since you've now recovered that menu, but there are other options as well.

New Window is also found in the File menu. Or, Command-N will get the same result.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gregg View Post

Not that it matters since you've now recovered that menu, but there are other options as well.

New Window is also found in the File menu. Or, Command-N will get the same result.

Gregg, I'm getting old and senile or maybe just plain lazy. Of course you're right. I'm guilty of not checking all aspects of a situation before I start complaining. As an example, see my last post.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Quote:

Gregg, I'm getting old and senile or maybe just plain lazy. Of course you're right. I'm guilty of not checking all aspects of a situation before I start complaining.

Well, that's not what I meant. We all get into habits (ruts?) that we're locked in to. That's just normal behavior, regardless of age or mental acuity. I had never used the menu you were accustomed to, so thought I'd share my method with you. I use the drop down, not the keyboard shortcut, but threw that in as a bonus!