Apple event speculation: App Store fix, $150 iPod touch, more

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

The Beatles need Apple. Apple doesn't need The Beatles.

WHAT? Without the Beatles we could be discussing these threads on the BeachBoysinsider.

Where do you think Steve Jobs stole his company's name from? The Hollies?
  • Reply 42 of 60
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

The Beatles catalogue has been released on newly remastered CD's just now.

They are not released until tomorrow (9-9-09)

Quote:

People that want the CDs have probably purchased

Most people don't pre-order.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Where do you think Steve Jobs stole his company's name from?

Most likely story is that "Apple" in "Apple Computer, Inc." had nothing to do with the Beatles.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Quote:

The hip hop nation? I don't think so.

This is equivalent to reissuing Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, Glenn Miller or Guy Lombardo to the original rock generation.

They could have cared less.

O rly? Who's going to be playing The Beatles: Rock Band game when it's released tomorrow? The Baby Boomers who predominantly don't know jack squat about video games?

• Reply 45 of 60
    but on the issue of the 149 ipod touch 8 GB why would they do that when they have an ipod nano at the same price? wouldn't that just hurt them when we the buyers could just buy an ipod touch at the same price of an ipod nano?
  • Reply 46 of 60
    Can't see the classic dying just yet. One simple model at a single price with low grade tech caters for the whole 'large MP4 player' market. Use the cheapest capacity (pos 160GB or 250GB now) and just leave it on the store for those that need (or think they need) the space.

They'd have to reinvent the way we carry music around (Spotify etc.) to be able to get rid of that model. If they do then fair play to them, but I can more see that happening next Sep when the touch can get to 120GB.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Quote:

The hip hop nation? I don't think so.

This is equivalent to reissuing Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, Glenn Miller or Guy Lombardo to the original rock generation.

They could have cared less.

So they did care somewhat?
  • Reply 48 of 60
    touch nano with a virtual click wheel. it's event-worthy.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    In addition to the annual iPod events, doesn't Apple occasionally do special October events as well? I know they did in 2005 for sure as well as 2008. Usually they focus on new MacBooks and such, but am I the only one who thinks that's when they'll announce the tablet? Not tomorrow for sure, and not early next year after people have already bought new netbooks for Christmas.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Most likely story is that "Apple" in "Apple Computer, Inc." had nothing to do with the Beatles.

Didn't it have to do with Newton and the apple...? (Serious question!).
  • Reply 51 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

I would argue that it does (have to stream) to qualify as cloud based. To me, cloud based means no local storage. Just because you access something over TCP/IP doesn't qualify.

You can stream all podcasts off the iTunes Store, listen to music clips and watch movie and TV show trailers.

I think the 'cloud' buzzword just confuses the issue. The iTunes Store wouldn't exist without 'the cloud', i.e., internet-connected servers. If we're talking about streaming music over the Internet, sans local storage, why not call it what it is—a streaming iTunes Store (or streaming iTunes library, or both).

I understand trying to simplify complex technical concepts so the average person can understand it but I think 'cloud' oversimplifies things.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Didn't it have to do with Newton and the apple...? (Serious question!).

Yes, that is out there also.

Likely it was a combination of many things and "Apple" just sounded good so they went with it, not that it was specific to any one thing.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:

Yes, that is out there also.

Likely it was a combination of many things and "Apple" just sounded good so they went with it, not that it was specific to any one thing.

iWoz (p173) says that it was inspired by Steve Jobs visiting a commune which was called "apple orchard" around the time they were forming the company, and that Steve Wozniak mentioned Apple Records at the time but that they couldn't think of anything better and didn't think it'd be a problem so it stuck.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    Can't tell you my predictions, but here's my list of this event coverages.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:

The apple in Apple Computers had to do with either the fruit of knowledge, or Sir Isaac Newton. Guess you'd have to ask either of the Steves for the final answer on that question.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    So you want an Apple. Well you come to the right place. Can we help you? YES WE CAN. WE are the best at what we do. Second to none. Our software is perfect and our hardware never fails.Sighed....Bill G.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's an iPod event, deal with it.

Really? I think it's certainly not a Mac event - but iTunes, iPhone, AppleTV are all fair game. I would be surprised if iPods & iTunes weren't the primary focus though.

Quote:

AT&T is going to go for iPhone TV rentals via iTunes over their lame network? Don't hold your breath.

Hopefully TV rentals will happen. But it doesn't need to be iPhone over the cell network. TV show rental over iTunes (as usual), iPhone rental (via wifi), AppleTV, and of course syncing to iPhone or iPod from iTunes.

In other words - exactly what is possible on iTunes Store now with movies, just adding TV show rentals.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

An iPod touch that acts like a VOIP phone, IOW if it has the exact same functionality as the iPhone but initiates dialing over WiFi, would be worth it. Current offerings across the board in the home VOIP phone category are just junk.

That would be VERY interesting

There is a big gap in the VoIP home phone category.

On a related note, I wonder if Apple would play in the VoIP provider space (via iChat?) or not.

The iPod touch could be made into quite an interesting home device. It could be your VoIP home phone AND an AppleTV too. (you can already plug an iPod Touch into the TV (I'd like to see a special dock!!) and rent movies directly - no HD... yet...).
  • Reply 58 of 60
    it'd be lovely to just catch a glimpse of the Stevster.

And I think they are wrong in that the classic is going out. No way, not yet, not when you can't offer a portable library player at 160gb that the classic now probably can in the slim form factor. Djs, people with large libs, people going on holidays and wanting lots of space, people who decode lossles...there's a huge market still for the classic. A bigger screen though would be a nice touch.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

it'd be lovely to just catch a glimpse of the Stevster.

I'd kind of like him as one of many presenters. Keep the feel of the "Apple Team" while making him an integral part. He could always do the "one more thing".

Hey I've come up with my own prediction....

I think everyone thinks iTunes is bloated and that it's trying to do too much... the interface for movies etc doesn't quite cut it.

We need a new program focussed on TV and movies. Why not call this new program "AppleTV"? It would be reasonably tightly integrated with iTunes by necessity, but the interfaces could be distinct, and it would replace FrontRow & DVD player.

So...

Like iTunes, AppleTV would be a program available for Mac, Windows, iPhone and iPod Touch (plus AppleTV device). It'll provide a new way of accessing your video media - via touch screen, apple remote (to a TV), or mouse.

Apart from separating TV content from music content - it's a great way of pushing Apple's movie & TV offerings, by having a distinct "AppleTV" app on every iPhone, for every user to see. And people who want to watch on their TV can plug the iPhone into it, or use standard (renewed) iTV hardware, or a multimedia PC if they think it's underpowered.

ps. we also need a new, inexpensive, iPhone dock with IR remote and component video outputs.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    that's actually a very good idea greg, it need polish and thinking it through of course. The reason why I think it will be stiffled by apple is that they insist (rightly or wrongly is another matter) to not recognize the xvids and divxs as something of an .mp3 format to their h.264, while it's very similar in that today the average joe has tons of these as they did with their .mp3s, and like the mp3s few are legaly obtained. But by enabling itunes to play mp3 they managed to push their superior aac format and have the people start buying their libraries from itunes. They seem absolutely against though the aforementioned codecs (obviously pressure from the studio co's is tremendous) so an appletv kind of app that could say sync with imdb, incorporate comments, allow user to publish content say, etc. etc. would be crippled on its own with only itunes stuff available on it, or h.264 encoded stuff anyway. But it's true that itunes is verging on bloatware at the moment, and front row is as old as dinosaurs so something has to be done. But itunes being itunes and having the recognition and visibility it would be a huge gamble to separate the two.