Last-minute iPod rumors reaffirm cameras for touch, nano

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

The usefulness of a GPS connection without an always-on Internet connection is limited. After all, what good is knowing what coordinates you're at if you can't see them on a map, just a blank grid?

The map data could be downloaded to the iPod so it would still be available even when the internet is not. I don't know if Google maps can do this now, but I think some third party software, like Tom-Tom does.

Also, the GPS can be put into geo-location tags on all those photos people will upload to Flickr.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

The usefulness of a GPS connection without an always-on Internet connection is limited. After all, what good is knowing what coordinates you're at if you can't see them on a map, just a blank grid?

As to people wanting the GPS more than the camera, that makes no sense. Digital cameras far outsell personal GPS devices. The iPhone is basically the number one "camera" on Flickr. Far more people want to take pictures or record video of stuff going around them than people who need GPS or "front-facing cameras for video conferencing."

Apple generally does not pre-announce new products. The iPhone was an exception because the FCC must approve new devices and the application would have been noticed by others. The tablet would not really benefit from an early unveiling, plus that's really the antithesis of highly-secretive Apple (unreleased products are walked through the company hallways under black cloth).

And the iPod classic is dead.

There are plenty of navigation apps that include the maps, you don't need to get them with an active data connection. I'd also love it if the touch could act as a geo logger, both to tag the photos it takes with location data and to provide a track log for the many Mac applications that can read them.

I think GPS would be a very nice addition, but not sure how much it would cost to add it. I also agree with you that a camera would be of use to more people than GPS, and therefore more likely. The odds of getting both are even lower.

As far as the Classic being dead. Save that prediction for next year.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Go somewhere else if you want to spam people. I reported this post and I hope they delete it.

You go girl... Way to report someone or having an opinion.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Pita editing posts on iPhone

I'll be shocked if apple goes for oracle lite instead of mysql. And really shocked if they use SQL 2008

MySQL is Free that is what Apple has always used for FileMaker.

They won't pay for anything unless they have a chance at a profit.

SQL is Micosoft. MySQL isn't. Do the math. Oracle is out of the equation. Why pay for what you can get for Free.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

itunes is already mostly a web app. every time you click somewhere it calls to an apple server somewhere. it just uses the same interface as it did 10 years ago.

Do you mean the store part or the general app? I think there is a misunderstanding in the discussion here. Some people seem to be thinking the store part of the app, some seem to be thinking the whole app.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaka View Post

Maybe, but a Nano or Shuffle with an FM radio would be awesome (but unlikely). I go to the gym with my iPod, and often see something on one of the overhead TV's that I'd like to tune into!

I hadn't heard of that, but it sounds like a good idea, no need to bother everyone with the sound, and you can tune out the room noises. I think that's the most compelling case for an FM tuner, that, and live events.

Quote:

Go somewhere else if you want to spam people. I reported this post and I hope they delete it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

You go girl... Way to report someone or having an opinion.

You mean "for" instead of "or"? Believe it or not, what Gazoobee replied to was spam, and spam doesn't count as an opinion on this forum, people (or bots) like that don't contribute to the discussion in the slightest degree. Even deliberate trolls (people deliberately saying things to make others angry) rate higher than spammers in my opinion. Link spammers try to make their post topical now, but the problem is, they're trying to push a product for free without paying for ad space.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Do you mean the store part or the general app? I think there is a misunderstanding in the discussion here.

I hadn't heard of that, but it sounds like a good idea, no need to bother everyone with the sound, and you can tune out the room noises. I think that's the most compelling case for an FM tuner, that, and live events.

You mean "for" instead of "or"? Believe it or not, what Gazoobee replied to was spam, and spam doesn't count as an opinion on this forum, people (or bots) like that don't contribute to the discussion in the slightest degree. Even trolls rate higher than spammers in my opinion. Link spammers try to make their post topical now, but the problem is, they're trying to push a product for free without paying for ad space.

You mean like 5% of your posters that have links in their signature? If you're going to pass judgement then pass it on everyone that has a link in their signature.

A little late to get holier than thou when you've allowed it for years.

Edit. Is this like Apple's App rejection not being consistent?
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Quote:

This not spam, he has been very clever in advertising his product. Spam is repeatable mail to a mass audience, he has only posted once to my knowledge.

Nothing to get 'anger' about.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    If Jobs is not on stage tomorrow then I believe he is saving himself for the tablet reveal.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    as to whether the concept was awesome or sucked. i for one was skeptical of it. the fact that they still sell the button tells us something. also there are numerous complaints about malfunctions due to sweat. not a good thing for a device many buy primarily to exercise with. shuffle is just a blip on apple's radar, but they can't have a crappy entry level device. i'm curious to see if tomorrow will bring answers to the original debate.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

This not spam, he has been very clever in advertising his product. Spam is repeatable mail to a mass audience, he has only posted once to my knowledge. ...

Incorrect.

"Spam" is merely an unwanted email (usually advertising).

"Spamming" is the act of sending spam, usually multiple times to multiple hundreds of people.

On forums, there is usually a kind of scale of appropriateness.

1) It's generally considered distasteful and "low class" to put an ad in your signature.

2) It's completely inappropriate to put an ad in the body of the text.

3) It's way "over the top" inappropriate make your entire post about the ad.

He did the third one.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Quote:

Incorrect.

"Spamming" is the act of sending spam, usually multiple times to multiple hundreds of people.

1) It's generally considered distasteful and "low class" to put an ad in your signature.

He did the third one.

So if AppleInsider has allowed the first 2 that I know for a fact does it make 3 over the top or just putting it in a different spot in their posting. It's the same either way you look at it.

It has been allowed, it is now being punished. It doesn't matter (according to Global Moderator) where it is in your posting

If it's not allowed now then AppleInsider is FlipFlopping on their rules. If they are going to forbid it then EVERYONE with an agenda (gay marriage seems to come to mind in many sigantures) then don't allow any links for a personal agenda.

By the way. I'm Gay. But if you're going to make the rules enforce them across the board. I don't need to advertise my life choice or partner. It's personal and doesn't matter on a forum posting other than to advertise an agenda.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    Quote:

I think the rest is just a bunch of XML files that tell it where the files are on the file system and what is in which playlists. They could probably use a lite version of mysql and get better performance than XML files

I think it's a gross over-simplification to say that iTunes is "just a bunch of XML files" outside of the iTunes store. I also think that having iTunes install MySQL would lead to tons of potential problems on Windows.

And you still haven't addressed the problem that the interface could get very slow if you don't have a recent computer. You really seem to underestimate the complexity of iTunes.

While Apple can entice people to upgrade their Macs when adding new cpu-intensive features to new major versions of OS X and iLife, they would be crazy to try to do the same to all the iPod/iPhone users that have older and/or underperforming PCs, and that depend on iTunes to get their device working.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I believe most of his predictions are wrong.

1) The Classic is out (love it or like it). It doesn't support the iTMS so it is a goner.

2) iTunes 9 through Webkit - isn't it already using that API?

3) Steve Jobs will be on hand.

4) Shuffle redesign - not likely this early. They will more likely redo the headphones and controller as that's a bit confusing. The form factor is fine.

5) FM tuner - if you mean for HD radio then yes.

6) Cocktail the next dashboard? Maybe, but I see the music labels getting a tie-in to FrontRow to create custom menus to browse their digital content. Hence FrontRow will go cross platform and AppleTV will get an update to support that.

• Reply 34 of 69
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Who cares about FM radio? The iPod killed it 8 years ago. The whole point of an iPod is because radio plays crap and has to many commercials.

That's why there's public radio (NPR) and "community radio" (if you're in NYC you have a community station (a Pacifica affiliate), maybe others too. Boston doesn't have any). FM would be interesting to me, but it's not a deal maker or a deal breaker.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleBiter View Post

wake me when the tablet arrives. tomorrow is a non-event. sure it'll do something to boost holiday sales and put a blip on the stock ticker, but is this really news? cameras? puh-leeeez.

The tablet will not be announced.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

If Jobs is not on stage tomorrow then I believe he is saving himself for the tablet reveal.

And the 2010 iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I wonder if the cameras in both iPod Touch and Nano will be video capable.

One would think so for the Touch...but the Nano's display may be just too small.

Nano, no.

Touch, maybe..
  • Reply 38 of 69
    Quote:

Incorrect.

He did the third one.

Acccording to your opinion he has undertaken #3, where as I see it has NOT "over the top"!

Secondly you do not have to visit the site, if you do not want to, so how is it spam, since it is not email sent to you.

You better report all the people that put advertsing of their web site (including personal web sites) even if it is a known site like apple.com, in their signature.

I do not like spam, but lets not try and make ultra clean society for internet, when such things happen in REAL world and we say nothing.

Btw: How many paper mails from credit cards, banks, cars companies, do you get in your postbox every day without requesting that infromation!
  • Reply 39 of 69
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

MySQL is Free that is what Apple has always used for FileMaker.

No they haven't

PS: Can we stop the spam discussion? The post has been deleted.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    For what it's worth, if I were Apple, I'd have Steve Jobs appear at the end of today's gathering to serve up one more thing in the form of a new top-end Touch with a larger screen. Not a larger screen as in a 10-inch tablet but rather a device costing about $100 more than the top-end Touch coming with 32 gigs in base form and with a step-up model sporting 64 gigs. Maybe a 5" screen or something in that range.

This device would allow Apple to gauge the demand for the Touch in a larger form factor while not going to the more drastic level of introducing a large tablet.

Such a device hasn't been rumoured to be in the works but then again, sounds like Apple isn't giving out much information regarding what will be revealed today.

No inside info, just looking at this logically and there is room in the iPod family for a larger screen.