Apple adjusts iPod touch, nano, classic prices ahead of event

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Before it took its online store down Wednesday, Apple lowered the prices of many of its iPod offerings, with the 32GB iPod touch seeing the largest price drop, from $399 to $279.

In addition, the 16GB iPod touch dropped from $299 to $249 and the 8GB model fell from $229 to $189. On the iPod nano side, the 16GB capacity decreased to $149 (from $189), and the 8GB offering slid to $129 (from $149). Finally, the iPod classic had its price cut to $229 (from $249).

Unsurprisingly, the Apple Store was taken down around 10 a.m. Wednesday, in preparation for the announcement of new products.

That means that before Apple even announces any products today, as it is planned to do, the iPod maker has already undercut the price of Microsoft's upcoming Zune HD, set to launch Sept. 15 with a 32GB model for $290. Prior to Wednesday's price cuts, the comparable iPod touch model was more than $100 more expensive than the forthcoming Microsoft product -- now, Apple has bested its rival to the north by $10.

However, when pitting the 16GB models against each other, Microsoft still comes out ahead by $30.

Apple today is widely expected to unveil a new iPod touch with a camera. Speculation suggests that one model will offer 64GB, and the morning price cuts have likely set the stage for that spot in the lineup.

While Apple normally takes down its store to implement changes and build hype, it did not before the iPod price drops. Instead, the hardware maker waited until later, just before its scheduled keynote, set for 10 a.m. Pacific Time (1 p.m. Eastern).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple lowered the prices of many of its iPod offerings overnight, prior to today's event, with the 32GB iPod touch seeing the largest price drop, from $399 to $279.

In addition, the 16GB iPod touch dropped from $299 to $249 and the 8GB model fell from $229 to $189. On the iPod nano side, the 16GB capacity decreased to $149 (from $189), and the 8GB offering slid to $129 (from $149). Finally, the iPod classic had its price cut to $229 (from $249).

That means that before Apple even announces any products today, as it is planned to do, the iPod maker has already undercut the price of Microsoft's upcoming Zune HD, set to launch Sept. 15 with a 32GB model for $290. Prior to Wednesday's price cuts, the comparable iPod touch model was more than $100 more expensive than the forthcoming Microsoft product -- now, Apple has bested its rival to the north by $10.

However, when pitting the 16GB models against each other, Microsoft still comes out ahead by $30.

Apple today is widely expected to unveil a new iPod touch with a camera. Speculation suggests that one model will offer 64GB, and the morning price cuts have likely set the stage for that spot in the lineup.

While Apple normally takes down its store to implement changes and build hype, this time it did not.

Hell yeah, if the Classic stays it will be mine.. i have a Touch but I've 60gb of music on iTunes and that 8GB on my Touch and 32GB on my 3GS is not enough!
  • Reply 2 of 67
    It does have the slightly crappy side effect that the ipod touch 32gb now costs more £s than it does $s despite a 1.6 exchange rate.

Hopefully they'll fix that very quickly, or at least pass on the £10 cut on the classic, which is what I actually want. (although a £199 32gb touch starts to make me waver)
  • Reply 3 of 67
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Looks like a gap for a 64GB iPod Touch for $399 to me and perhaps even a 32GB iPod Nano!
  • Reply 4 of 67
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Sucks if you bought one recently, especially the 32GB.

This lends credence to the rumour that the new iPods will be slightly delayed. These prices allow Apple to compete against the ZuneHD without a problem for the next couple of weeks or so until the new product is available.

Either that, or Apple want a firesale of existing iPods to clear the way for the new iPods.

Or Apple is going to keep on offering the current iPods alongside the newer "iPod Touch S" that also includes GPS.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

This lends credence to the rumour that the new iPods will be slightly delayed. These prices allow Apple to compete against the ZuneHD without a problem for the next couple of weeks or so until the new product is available.

Either that, or Apple want a firesale of existing iPods to clear the way for the new iPods.

Or Apple is going to keep on offering the current iPods alongside the newer "iPod Touch S" that also includes GPS.

Or they have a lot of inventory to shift. Who knows? The price drops are remarkable, though.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Or they have a lot of inventory to shift. Who knows? The price drops are remarkable, though.

Quote:

Yeah... This means that the new iPod Touch 64GB (I don't think it will be called "S" though) with Camera and iPod Nano 32GB with Camera will be delayed as you indicate. So, Apple, to buffer against shortages of these top models, will continue to offer all these previous models so that they can move large amounts of all iPods and not suffer too much from stock shortages of new models.

Shuffle prices not affected which suggest they will probably replace Shuffle with a new model or drop it completely to focus on higher-margin Nano, Classic and Touch.

I think there will be no 160GB classic. 120GB will be the model to last another year probably before it is discontinued sometime next year.

Okay, see y'all on the flipside. Have a good rock and roll event.
  • Reply 7 of 67
    As I've mentioned in other posts, the next logical move for Apple is to introduce a Touch with a larger screen. It has been Apple's habit to continue to sell a previous gen product at a reduced price while introducing something new, as is the case with the Classic.

It would not be out of the realm of possibility that we'll see Apple continue to sell current models at lower prices while bringing to market a new device with a larger screen, etc. beginning at the $399 price point. Nearly double screen real estate to enhance browsing and video presentation, offering a 32GB at $399 and a 64GB for $499. Coupled with a screen in the 5" to 7" range, you'd have a compelling alternative to a netbook for some applications like browsing, watching video, reading ebooks, and the like.

I want such a device so maybe this is more a matter of wishful thinking than thinking this through logically. In a few hours, we'll have the answer.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    Regarding Apple not having any new product to announce today because of an apparent delay due to technical problems with video components, that suggests there is a new product about to be revealed, otherwise today's event would not have been allowed to stamd.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    When will the event be? How many hours from now?
  • Reply 10 of 67
    Anyone else think it funny how direct price comparisons are made between the old Ipod Touch and the new Zune HD?

I hope Apple releases OLED Ipods at today's event or they will face some serious competition with Microsoft's soon to be released offering. The HD playback and the screen on the Zune HD will put some serious hurt in the Apple portable camp if they don't upgrade today. Apple makes incredibly high quality stuff but OLED displays are the future.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

Hell yeah, if the Classic stays it will be mine.. i have a Touch but I've 60gb of music on iTunes and that 8GB on my Touch and 32GB on my 3GS is not enough!

Since my 3gs won't store all my music either, I just use slacker and pandora for stuff I don't want to carry around
  • Reply 12 of 67
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Apple has a policy where it will refund the difference in any price cuts within I think ten days of purchase.

Quote:

• Reply 13 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmm21 View Post

Anyone else think it funny how direct price comparisons are made between the old Ipod Touch and the new Zune HD?

I hope Apple releases OLED Ipods at today's event or they will face some serious competition with Microsoft's soon to be released offering. The HD playback and the screen on the Zune HD will put some serious hurt in the Apple portable camp if they don't upgrade today. Apple makes incredibly high quality stuff but OLED displays are the future.

OLED= No. I'll bet on that.

The announcement later will see the iPod Touch gain a faster processor and a 3.2mp camera without video and have 64GB memory IMO.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

You're funny!
  • Reply 15 of 67
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Interesting...Apple screwed up updating their website.

When you look at the main page of the Apple Store, it still says, for the Classic for example, "just $249" but the product page reflects the new lower $249. Similarly, it says "iPod touch from $229" while the lowest price touch on the product page is $189.

Not sure if that means anything, but maybe the lower prices were a last-minute decision and they rushed the web site update.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah... This means that the new iPod Touch 64GB (I don't think it will be called "S" though) with Camera and iPod Nano 32GB with Camera will be delayed as you indicate. So, Apple, to buffer against shortages of these top models, will continue to offer all these previous models so that they can move large amounts of all iPods and not suffer too much from stock shortages of new models.

Shuffle prices not affected which suggest they will probably replace Shuffle with a new model or drop it completely to focus on higher-margin Nano, Classic and Touch.

I think there will be no 160GB classic. 120GB will be the model to last another year probably before it is discontinued sometime next year.

Okay, see y'all on the flipside. Have a good rock and roll event.

+1. Here are my guesses. See if they come true.

iPod Shuffle- Major Redesign with buttons. No price cuts.

iPod Nano- Slight redesign with 32GB option. 2m.p Camera without video.

iPod Classic- No redesign. 160GB only option is back again.

iPod Touch- No redesign save the camera area. 3.2 mp camera with video (maybe) and 64GB option.

That's all for the iPod upgrades I guess..
  • Reply 17 of 67
    Quote:

On a screen the size of the Touch, HD is ridiculous overkill.

Instead, Apple will offer their old technology to compete with the Zune and release a new product that Microsoft and the others will not catch up on until Apple releases yet another innovative device. In other words, Apple aspires to be one step ahead and not reveal in advance what's coming next. So the old Touch for less money takes on the Zune and a bigger form factor debuts to take this to the next level.

The best way to do that is to misdirect by making some believe a large tablet is the next big thing and that it's still a ways off. Meanwhile a larger Touch, using a screen in the 5" to 7" range, comes in under the radar, rendering the Zune irrelevant.
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Since my 3gs won't store all my music either, I just use slacker and pandora for stuff I don't want to carry around

Ha. I currently carry along my 8GB Touch for music and videos while I lug along my 32GB 3GS with MORE songs and videos than the Touch for only calls, photos and maybe some apps like organising stuff and a couple of games. My iPhone is more of a work and study device with only 2 fancy apps and 2 games. The rest are all professional , study, utilities ( find me a restaurant )and work related.

PS: I have 8 pages of apps on both my Touch and 3GS.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Interesting...Apple screwed up updating their website.

When you look at the main page of the Apple Store, it still says, for the Classic for example, "just $249" but the product page reflects the new lower $249. Similarly, it says "iPod touch from $229" while the lowest price touch on the product page is $189.

Not sure if that means anything, but maybe the lower prices were a last-minute decision and they rushed the web site update.

Possibly. Several other pages have this conflicting information, but I am noticing updates as we speak.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

On a screen the size of the Touch, HD is ridiculous overkill.

Instead, Apple will offer their old technology to compete with the Zune and release a new product that Microsoft and the others will not catch up on until Apple releases yet another innovative device. In other words, Apple aspires to be one step ahead and not reveal in advance what's coming next. So the old Touch for less money takes on the Zune and a bigger form factor debuts to take this to the next level.

The best way to do that is to misdirect by making some believe a large tablet is the next big thing and that it's still a ways off. Meanwhile a larger Touch, using a screen in the 5" to 7" range, comes in under the radar, rendering the Zune irrelevant.

+1. However, bigger screen iPod Touch = Not happening.