Mac OS X 10.6.1 to address bugs, crashes in new Cocoa Finder

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week supplied supplied developers with the latest build of the first upgrade to Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.1, which includes fixes for the new Cocoa Finder.

Build 10B504 was seeded to the Apple Developer Connection community on Tuesday in the form of a 71.4MB delta update. One of two areas of change new to the seed, according to people familiar with the software, resolves crashes with Desktop Services in Finder.

Finder was given a massive rewrite for Snow Leopard, being rebuilt in Cocoa, an upgrade from the previous Carbon-based application programming interface. Prior to Snow Leopard, Finder was one of the oldest Carbon applications in the Mac OS.

The latest build also reportedly addresses a problem where developers would see a large number of "dyld shared cache" messages in the system log.

Also seeded this week was the 10B504 build of Mac OS X Server 10.6.1. The new build, sources familiar with the software said, focuses on directory services and the serial number framework. The latest update fixes a problem with serial number registration on the server side, in addition to the aforementioned client-side fixes, which could have an impact on the server.

Both the client and server upgrades reportedly have no known issues.

Last week, Apple supplied developers with Mac OS X 10.6.1 build 10B503, the first maintenance release for Snow Leopard. While it did not include any sweeping changes, the update did address problem areas in Bluetooth, the Dock, Mail, printing services, Software Update and System Preferences.

The build, sources said, also included a number of printer-related enhancements, including auto-connection to Bluetooth printers on Mac startup, and printer drivers for both Bonjour and USB printers delivered over Software Update.

In all, 13 specific client-side issues have been addressed through two builds of Mac OS X 10.6.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    yeah I know what you mean......FIRST
  • Reply 2 of 30
    I have problem with Mail on one of my accounts. It keeps using resources, a lot of CPU and memory, until my Mac becomes unresponsive, because there isn't any unused memory (Mail uses more than 1.5GB after a while).

It seems to be Spotlight related, because MDWorker is using a lot of CPU cycles, but it doesn't use a lot of memory.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    It seems like a sub-major upgrade. Does it really deserve a 'point one' upgrade title? 10.6.0.1 would have been better?
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nite41 View Post

It seems like a sub-major upgrade. Does it really deserve a 'point one' upgrade title? 10.6.0.1 would have been better?

Would you rather 10.6 had a bunch of bugs that 10.6.1 needed to fix?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Maybe so... but in the entire 25 year history of the MacOS... since 1984 with System 1.0 & Finder 1.0... there has never been a three decimal point version. Why start now?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Maybe so... but in the entire 25 year history of the MacOS... since 1984 with System 1.0 & Finder 1.0... there has never been a three decimal point version. Why start now?

I don't mean to take on the role of Mr. Smarty-Pants here, but I am 22 years old and have been using the Mac OS since 8.1. I remember when I upgraded to Mac OS 8.5, an 8.5.1 update followed shortly thereafter. I believe it was a firmware related update, but it was a 'hundredth' OS point release nonetheless.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Who cares what the number is? Just give me the update. 10.6.1 seems fine to me. I consider the Finder fairly important and am glad they have finally updated the Finder so I don't see anymore FTFF posts.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jdanek630 View Post

I don't mean to take on the role of Mr. Smarty-Pants here, but I am 22 years old and have been using the Mac OS since 8.1. I remember when I upgraded to Mac OS 8.5, an 8.5.1 update followed shortly thereafter. I believe it was a firmware related update, but it was a 'hundredth' OS point release nonetheless.

Yup. It's not unusually for Apple to release a minor update shortly after a major release. Sometimes just a few weeks after! It's pretty common actually. But they have never used three 'points'... i.e. x.x.x.x. Not as far as I know.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Who cares what the number is? Just give me the update. 10.6.1 seems fine to me. I consider the Finder fairly important and am glad they have finally updated the Finder so I don't see anymore FTFF posts.

Ya. The 10.6 Finder is awesome. Takes me back to my System 7 days LOL. I think the Mac OS X Finder is finally as fast as the old Classic Finder. I remember installing Mac OS X 10.0 and it was BRUTAL!! It was so slow it was almost unusable. The Finder got better with each new "cat"... but it was never as fast as the original Finder from '84-'01. I think it is now. Which is pretty sweet.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Ya. The 10.6 Finder is awesome. Takes me back to my System 7 days LOL. I think the Mac OS X Finder is finally as fast as the old Classic Finder. I remember installing Mac OS X 10.0 and it was BRUTAL!! It was so slow it was almost unusable. The Finder got better with each new "cat"... but it was never as fast as the original Finder from '84-'01. I think it is now. Which is pretty sweet.

… and pretty sad at the same time considering it took 10 years and we now have computers that are (at least) 10 times faster.

Of course I am happy to see a Finder that is finally fast and responsive and, even more important, a Finder that finally remembers the location and settings of my various windows !

Don’t get me wrong : Snow Leopard is more than a worthy upgrade. But I guess some people at Apple finally came to realize that some parts of the OS were becoming ludicrously painful to use, and I’m happy they’ve addressed the issue.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    So nothing on Open GL performance problem and new video drivers to fix it ?
  • Reply 12 of 30
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple this week supplied supplied developers with the latest build of the first upgrade to Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.1, which includes fixes for the new Cocoa Finder ...

I haven't had any absolute crashes yet, but I've had to reboot the finder a few times for freezing, especially on previews of video files. I'm not really sure if this isn't Quicktime X's fault though things seem a bit clunky on the Quicktime front right now. There is also some functionality that has fallen in the crack between Quicktime 7 and Quicktime X.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Too bad it doesn't address the half dozen different interface styles all mixed together in a hodge podge that seems to increase with each new release.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

So nothing on Open GL performance problem and new video drivers to fix it ?

Mario-

You beat me to the proverbial punch.

I ran the Cinebench R10's OpenGL test on my Snow Leoparded MBP3,1 yesterday- the MS XP side of the Bootcamped laptop gave me a score of 3055, and the OSX side gave me a score of 1809.

FWIW, on my SLed iMac9,1 w/ Radeon HD 4850 (no Bootcamp) in K32 mode I get an OpenGL score of 6937, and in K64 mode I get 6983.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

? and pretty sad at the same time considering it took 10 years and we now have computers that are (at least) 10 times faster.

Maybe one should realize that todays finder (as the mac in large) does a lot more than any classic mac finders did. Both visually and in the background. And when running Multi Finder back in those days ... well fast may not be my first description. But we maybe thought of it like that.

Those were the day. Mac Plus with 20 Mbyte external hard drive + internal floppy + external floppy. Boy did I have room on that hard drive!
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

so true. after almost ten years, there are still things i miss from the old finder. why does the zoom button still not do what i expect it to do? i guess i'm slow to adjust...
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Too bad it doesn't address the half dozen different interface styles all mixed together in a hodge podge that seems to increase with each new release.

i guess a 'under the hood' upgrade wasn't the place for it. i look forward to it as well. 10.7?
  • Reply 18 of 30
    I don't care what the number is. When do we get it? When?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

You're right.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    "Don?t get me wrong : Snow Leopard is more than a worthy upgrade. But I guess some people at Apple finally came to realize that some parts of the OS were becoming ludicrously painful to use, and I?m happy they?ve addressed the issue."

The important part about Snow Leopard is the future; the opportunities which it can provide. It finally takes advantage of the 64 bit hardware in the Intel Core 2 processors. The Mac will be leaving Wintel in the dust. The Cocoa API's are mature enough that Apple can devote it's efforts on improvements, not correcting past mistakes. 10.7 should be impressive in about 12 to 18 months. Apple has been putting off new features until its foundations were reworked.

"? and pretty sad at the same time considering it took 10 years and we now have computers that are (at least) 10 times faster."

It was impossible, 1997, to get Adobe and Microsoft to re-write their applications in Cocoa. Apple was forced to invent a bridge, Carbon, to take the Mac OS to Cocoa.

Now, we can began to put away the 32 bit Carbon applications, this year, as developers upgrade their code to 64 bit, Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL. We will be seeing some impressive speed boosts from that.

NeXTstep was the best OS in the world in 1996, but it had few developers and users. Now, Mac OSX is NeXTstep with a Mac like GUI on top. Most of the sharp edges have been worn away. The future looks bright.

Microsoft will be taking a long, painful migration to 64 bit code. It's weak foundations cause it to be very difficult to secure. Windows malware is not going away.