Apple brings App Store recommendations with iPhone OS 3.1

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Wednesday released a new version of its iPhone operating system, fixing bugs and bringing new features, including a "Genius" recommendation system for the App Store.

The update, iPhone OS 3.1, is available today as a free download from iTunes. For iPhone users, the version number is 3.1, while for iPod touch users it is labeled 3.1.1. The new Genius feature will recommend new applications to users based on software they already have installed.

In July, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said that the company was working on a fix for the App Store to make it easier to find new content. With tens of thousands of offerings available, it has become difficult for some to find what they are looking for.

The new software update also adds ringtones from record labels, directly into the iTunes application on the phone.

The update is also available for iPod touch users. Those who have paid to upgrade to 3.0 will receive the 3.1 update for free. For those who have an iPod touch but have not yet upgraded to 3.0, Apple also reduced the price to $4.95.

Apple also announced Wednesday that the company has sold 20 million iPod touches, and there are more than 75,000 applications available for download in the App Store. To date, more than 1.8 billion applications have been downloaded on the iPhone and iPod touch.

The complete list of fixes in iPhone OS 3.1 are as follows:

Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos

iTunes U content organization

Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store

Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store

Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll

Option to "Save as new clip" when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS

Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on

Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe

Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets

Paste phone numbers into the keypad

Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS

Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)

Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling

Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    and i left my iphone sync cable at home today by accident
  • Reply 2 of 39
    I just tried to get the iPhone 3.1 update and iTunes says that my Version 3.0.1 is the "current" version available... 3/1 not up yet.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    No iTunes or iPhone update, lol Apple has a funny idea of "available now"
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Been clicking "Update" every couple of minutes and finally got the 3.1.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Downloading 3.1 Now.... hopefully there are no reactivation problems after the install....\
  • Reply 6 of 39
    weak. how about fixing safari on my iPhone 3G?
  • Reply 7 of 39
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    The 3.1 iPod touch upgrade price is just $4.95, down from $9.95 yesterday.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/software-update.html
  • Reply 8 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The story should be fixed to say "sold 30 million iPhones", not iPods.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    ......very slow...says another 60 minutes left.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Downloading it now!

Best feature in 3.1:

Voice Control now enabled in Bluetooth headsets.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Those wiz-bang features are nice, but please fix the iPhone OS for syncing with Exchange especially on iPhone which the OS was named after. Calendar appointments are real problem especially when they are removed by the iPhone OS and therefore out of Outlook.

Also, what about the augmented reality stuff that was rumored for release in 3.1? No luck eh?
  • Reply 12 of 39
    When you guys download it please let us know whats different
  • Reply 13 of 39
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

When you guys download it please let us know whats different

it's teh snappier.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Dammit! It just placed my phone in recovery mode. No biggie, just a simple restore.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Ok so now you can edit video clips and save both versions ..... why the flip can you not do the same with voice memos.. or at least chapters so i don't have to spend ages looking for a section of interest ... come on apple it so simple!
  • Reply 16 of 39
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Also, what about the augmented reality stuff that was rumored for release in 3.1? No luck eh?

That's developer stuff - not user-facing.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Since upgrading my iPhone 3G to OS3.1, I've noticed it's noticeably slower, even flipping between pages on the homescreen. I expect the iTunes and App Stores to be busy and therefore slow, but it seems to be the whole phone, even after a reboot.

Anyone else?
  • Reply 18 of 39
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewisburgess View Post

Since upgrading my iPhone 3G to OS3.1, I've noticed it's noticeably slower, even flipping between pages on the homescreen. I expect the iTunes and App Stores to be busy and therefore slow, but it seems to be the whole phone, even after a reboot.

Anyone else?

Nope, not mine. Speed is the same.

Best new feature for me is the ability to organize home screens from within iTunes.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Best new feature for me is the ability to organize home screens from within iTunes.

Worst new feature on my iPod Touch 8G after updating- none of my apps work now: Cocktail Compass (Portland and Seattle), Flashlight, Speed Test, Guitar Tuner, Flixster
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Any difference in gaming performance? The leaked release notes of early iPhone OS 3.1 builds mentioned more extensions and refinements for OpenGL ES. It'd be interesting to see if there are any readily apparent benefits and whether they are confined to newer OpenGL ES 2.0 models or everything.