Apple announces iPod nano with camera, FM tuner, pedometer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple's new iPod nano unveiled Wednesday will allow users to record video, listen to FM radio, and track the number of steps taken by exercisers.

Touting the camera as a "free" addition to the nano, the 8GB model will cost $149 and has a total size of 1.1 cubic inches. Apple co-founder Steve Jobs noted during his presentation that a portable Flip camera with 4GB of storage sells for $149. A 16GB model will be available for $179. Both are available today in a variety of colors.

"iPod nano is the world's most popular music player with over 100 million sold," said Jobs, Apple's CEO. "And now we've added a video camera to its incredibly thin design, without any additional cost to the user."

The new nano has a polished anodized aluminum exterior, and sports a larger 2.2-inch display. It also features voiceovers that tell the listener what is currently playing.

The integrated video camera will allow users to record videos, as well as review them and add "special effects," such as film grain or motion blur, directly from the iPod nano. The content can also be synced to a computer and uploaded directly to YouTube with one click. Video can be shot in either portrait or landscape mode.

The built-in FM radio features live pause. This allows users to pause and resume playing a station. The new iPod nano also includes iTunes Tagging, which allows users to tag songs they like when they hear them on the radio. The song can then be previewed and purchased from iTunes, and synced back with a host computer.

The new built-in pedometer will sync to the Nike+ software without the previously-required external transmitter. The system keeps track of steps taken and calories burned.

The new hardware also allows Genius Mixes. This feature automatically creates up to 12 "endless mixes" of songs from the iTunes library, using the Genius feature to find songs that go well together.

The new iPod nano reportedly provides up to 24 hours of music playback, or 5 hours of video on a single charge. The 8GB model can record up to 7 hours of video, while the 16 GB model will capture 14 hours.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    Curious to see the quality of the pix and video, but those video specs are a little behind the curve considering all of the new tiny HD cameras that have been coming out from Sony, Kodak, et al, to compete with the Flip.

I do like the fact they finally, FINALLY included a stinkin' FM radio. Scandalous.

Also, why is the green nano a different size? The screen is smaller, and the height is different? Huh?
  • Reply 2 of 106
    "They won't add a camera"

No, they add a video camera and FM radio!!!

And now for Microsoft reply.

"....................................chirp........ ................chirp............................. ."

Well said, well said
  • Reply 3 of 106
    i see a lot about a video camera, but where the 'camera' part of this? I tried looking at the tech specs but dont see anything about megapixels, etc. am i missing something or does this nano not take pictures...
  • Reply 4 of 106
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Wow ... if anyone could make FM radio look nice, it's our peeps at Apple. Adding pause and tagging is just icing on the cake.

(Oh, and 'New colors for shuffle, along with headphone adapter that works with any headphones.'. To all those naysayers, finally, I am vindicated. X) Sorry but I had to say it while I'm right for once...)

Jimzip
  • Reply 5 of 106
    The nano has been greatly improved today. It's once again a very desirable item, but I want apps too and the new touch has none of the things the nano got today (video camera, FM, pedometer). Makes me want to keep my money in my pocket.
  • Reply 6 of 106
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Is this the same camera as the iPhone? That's better than a Flip?
  • Reply 7 of 106
    xxxxx
  • Reply 8 of 106
    I'm glas SJ and APple decided to amend (fix) the shuffle as the public wanted.
  • Reply 9 of 106
    it only lists video capture capability ...
  • Reply 10 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rodkar View Post

it only lists video capture capability ...

glad im not the only one wondering about that. how stupid would that be, video but no camera.
  • Reply 11 of 106
    The camera only shoots video???????????????????
  • Reply 12 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The nano has been greatly improved today. It's once again a very desirable item, but I want apps too and the new touch has none of the things the nano got today (video camera, FM, pedometer). Makes me want to keep my money in my pocket.

Yes, sucks for us touch owners. If they had only added the camera I would have upgraded. With video, FM radio and pedometer, I would have loved it. Bizarro-World thinking at work here.
  • Reply 13 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The camera only shoots video???????????????????

The resolution is probably too low for stills. Video feature appears to be primarily targeted for video uploads to YouTube, Facebook, etc...
  • Reply 14 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I do like the fact they finally, FINALLY included a stinkin' FM radio. Scandalous.

Is it regular FM Radio or HD Radio?

How do they do iTunes tagging with regular FM radio? If they are tuning into the HD signal to get the album/artist info but playing the regular FM signal, that would be lame...
  • Reply 15 of 106
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    They only mention it as a video camera, no where on their site, even in the tech specs do they mention camera. The video is captured at 640x480 resolution which isnt bad for a device this size in this class. I am guessing it doesnt do stills because they didnt want to spring for a 3.2M pixel part and increase the overall costs. I imagine the stills it does take turn out pretty bad in quality or they would have added that ability.
  • Reply 16 of 106
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is this the same camera as the iPhone? That's better than a Flip?

Yeah I was wondering that myself ... I can find nothing anywhere about resolution either.

Jimzip
  • Reply 17 of 106
    I would guess there is a microTouch OS X in there.
  • Reply 18 of 106
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    You can bet it's half a megapixel or so, so fine for quick videos, but not much else... It's an interesting idea, we'll see. If nothing else it's a differentiating factor that might make more people chose the nano...
  • Reply 18 of 106
    New Nano Red on its way...

I imagine the camera will be part of a software upgrade at some point soon once Apple read the whinging on here...Jeez!!
  • Reply 20 of 106
    The Nike+ receiver still needs to be connected to the nano:

http://www.apple.com/ca/ipodnano/features/fitness.html